Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First drive of V70 D5

Views : 1074

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2012, 18:22   #1
ratman

Default First drive of V70 D5

Well had my 1st test drive of a 06 plate D5 today. I have to say I walked away a bit disappointed, it was a geartronic and I don't think autos are for me, it kept on changing gears...why, it has the grunt to stay in the same gear! It was also very noisey when you booted it.

The handling was a bit like the car was floating, if I moved the steering wheel left and right I could feel the car wallowing from side to side, it was bit scary. But I did notice that one of the rear tyres was a bit flat and they were also cheap tyres.

so I will go for a S60 I think and also a manual.
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 18:41   #2
A lex
Premier Member

Um it sounds like you are discounting an engine on the basis of driving a shoddy example with ditch finder tyres.

Doesnt seem to make much sense to me.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 18:46   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratman View Post
Well had my 1st test drive of a 06 plate D5 today. I have to say I walked away a bit disappointed, it was a geartronic and I don't think autos are for me, it kept on changing gears...why, it has the grunt to stay in the same gear! It was also very noisey when you booted it.

The handling was a bit like the car was floating, if I moved the steering wheel left and right I could feel the car wallowing from side to side, it was bit scary. But I did notice that one of the rear tyres was a bit flat and they were also cheap tyres.

so I will go for a S60 I think and also a manual.
you might have a 6 speed box , lots of gears to get through , it is inevitable , not like the old 4 speeds which changed gear less often .
People are said to love the D5 growl , it might be engineeered in, or the gearbox resting on the subframe due to worn engine mounts and the torque reaction on the top ;-)

They can feel like that with under pressure tyres and worn front wishbone bushes , the next generation V70 got rid of that feeling , you get a good ride though .
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 19:12   #4
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
People are said to love the D5 growl ,
I DO!

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 19:29   #5
john-sussex

Love our 185 D5, pulls well and dosen't keep changing.
john-sussex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 19:43   #6
S60 PNV
VOC Member

I've only had the S60 Geartronic for a week and I'm still getting used to the transmission. After 7 years of driving manuals it sure does feel odd.

It's lovely and smooth but I can't fathom why it decides to be in certain gears sometimes.

I haven't tried the manual mode yet. Not sure I want to...might try it when there's some clear roads in case I mess things up somehow.
S60 PNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 19:48   #7
WillV70D5

I also love my "new" 06 V70 D5. And it's growl, and surprising turn of speed up at motorway speeds.

The car is very sensitive to tyre pressures. I have tried a few variations and have found a direct trade off between the floaty feeling you describe, and comfort.

I tried a few V70s before buying and noticed quite a difference between them.

Other than the growl when booting it, I find it extremely quiet, refined and smooth rolling. And I have to say its got a lovely gearbox, and the relationship between gearbox, clutch and accelerator is all very refined and nice to use.

Mine's a manual though.
WillV70D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 20:41   #8
daddypruds68

Sounds like you have test drove a knacker to me!! The D5 growl is the best, as for the wallowy feel to the steering.....change the bushes...the 'tram lining' vanishes over 90mph.........so they recon
daddypruds68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 20:52   #9
RM955I
Premier Member

I love my auto and it's worth remembering that the boxes are 'intelligent' so take a while to adjust to a new driving style. I wouldn't be surprised if the wishbone bushes were falling apart, not helped by incorrect and uneven tyre pressures.

The first time I test drove a V70 I was amazed by the solid, almost tank like feeling - it oozed robust quality even after my previous SAAB 95. Immediately after I jumped in a Laguna estate - it felt gutless, plasticy and 'lightweight' if that makes sense: nothing had the same solid feel.

My auto is my first and I don't for one minute regret buying it as it suits the car.
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 21:01   #10
v70stu
V60 T6

I will echo the above. Had mine a week now. The auto has an adaptive shift pattern and adjusts to the way you drive. I sometimes find a very gentle and slight lift off the throttle and it will change up when holding a lower gear. I've played. about with the "manual" but in all honesty I do not envisage using it much. Maybe when towing if the gearbox becomes indecisive but for the most part I will leave it in auto. It is smooth and powerful. I feel it is a bit more vocal than it perhaps ought to be on acceleration but at a cruise it is very quiet. Mine has 157k on it so maybe some wear in the mounts to sort in time.
As for tyres, pressures make a very noticeable difference. To me, the mark of a well engineered chassis is that you can feel subtle diffetences such as tyre pressures and even tyre brands immediately. The V70 is just this way. Stick some quality tyres on and get the pressures right and the difference can be astounding.