Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

122s MOT time

Views : 521

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2012, 12:14   #1
Volvo Guy

Default 122s MOT time

Hi.

My White 122s is nearly ready for its first MOT since 1985 after a few months of tinkering. I just need to rebuild the front calipers and do some brake pipe and the flexis.

Has anyone got any suggestions of any common MOT faliures that I should check over before I book it in?

To recap I have unsiezed the engine, re-ringed it, new clutch + rear main oil seal, new clutch and brake master cylinders, new rear brake shoes, cylinders and adjusters, 2 new tyres, replaced fuel tank, rebuilt carbs, welded up the exhaust, new battery, horn, and a few other odd jobs. All the lights, wipers, washers work. There is no sign off any rot underneath and no dodgy welding. Boot floor and spare wheel well are like new.

Despite having no brakes I couldnt resist a little spin round the block yesterday. It sounded great with the exhaust off at the manifold and it pulled like a train! Big smiles all round!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10513.jpg (329.4 KB, 24 views)
Volvo Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 15:31   #2
Tail
Master Member

Part of the changes to the MOT is that now the track rod ends and various other joints used to get an advisory if they were ok but the rubbers were perished or split,now its a fail, i replaced a couple on mine and it seemed to keep him happy and didn't pay the others too much attention, normally if he finds one split or with play he will get the pry bar out and try them all.

Adjusting seats now have to be able to slide on their mounts, mine were a little stiff due to years of accumulated hair and muck on the greased runners, soon cleaned up though ok.

Dash lights have to work now, main beam etc and the speedo can fail if it fails to illuminate,glass is cracked or doesn't work.

No dripping steering boxes, give it a clean before you go if it is a bit weepy.

Battery has to be secure now and there is a visible wiring condition check as well.

A bit to keep you going
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 19:27   #3
Volvo Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail View Post
Part of the changes to the MOT is that now the track rod ends and various other joints used to get an advisory if they were ok but the rubbers were perished or split,now its a fail, i replaced a couple on mine and it seemed to keep him happy and didn't pay the others too much attention, normally if he finds one split or with play he will get the pry bar out and try them all.

Adjusting seats now have to be able to slide on their mounts, mine were a little stiff due to years of accumulated hair and muck on the greased runners, soon cleaned up though ok.

Dash lights have to work now, main beam etc and the speedo can fail if it fails to illuminate,glass is cracked or doesn't work.

No dripping steering boxes, give it a clean before you go if it is a bit weepy.

Battery has to be secure now and there is a visible wiring condition check as well.

A bit to keep you going
Thanks for that, I think I should be ok with most of that but I am a bit worried about the track rod rubbers and tie rod rubbers. I haven't had a good look at them and I bet they're perished after 30years.

But I've just washed the last bits of exhaust putty out of my hair after refitting the silencer this afternoon so I think I'll wait until next weekend to get the crawler board out again.

Its got some rust around the top of the headlights. Does this need to be taped up if its a bit sharp?
Volvo Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 02:47   #4
Tail
Master Member

I know its no sharp edges in case you hit someone, never mind the damage the car will do going over them so long as they don't get a cut from a rusty wing as they bounce around under the car....
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tail For This Useful Post: