Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lumpy Start

Views : 1202

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 15:41   #1
fidel
Comrade

Default Lumpy Start

Hi all,

My 92 Se estate has developed a lumpy start, it happened for the first time yesterday after I left work in the afternoon, it started fine in the morning but when I returned to it, it started first time but died, it struggled to start again and was very lumpy and died, started again on the third turn, but I kept my foot on the gas and brought the revs up to 2000 for a few seconds and then it was fine, same again this morning when leaving for work, started then died, started on the second turn but I kept my foot on the gas to bring the revs up for a few seconds then again fine, when leaving work this afternoon, I just put my foot on the gas to prevent the stall and it ran fine. The idle has always been a bit poor (just below 1000 when starting from cold) but never this problem.

Any ideas

Cheers

Andy
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 19:53   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

There are a lot of possibilities here. First I would start with basics and look at condition of plugs, leads, caps and rotor arm

There are then possibilities of many different components giving problems. Starting replacing these randomly can be expensive and a hit or miss affair. the ideal way is to have access to know good working secondhand components.

Mine first suspicion would be the temperature sensor, followed by lambda sensor and crank position sensor. Also the air mass meter cannot be ruled out either.

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 19:58   #3
wooble
Stay gold baby!

I'd also check the fuses - with the damp weather we're having at the moment it makes them even more prone to corrosion, give all the fuses a good twiddle and see if it helps the problem at all.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 23:51   #4
stephend
Premier Member

Not sure what engine yours has, but does it have some form of cold start device? Is it just cold starts where you get this problem, or hot re-starts too?
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:34   #5
fidel
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
Not sure what engine yours has, but does it have some form of cold start device? Is it just cold starts where you get this problem, or hot re-starts too?
Yes, just the cold starts. From hot/warm he starts fine, I think my engine is the B200 F
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 10:46   #6
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidel View Post
Yes, just the cold starts. From hot/warm he starts fine, I think my engine is the B200 F
Ok, I don't know anything about the B200F. But +1 to Mike Brace's comment that temperature sensor might be the place to start looking. Also, I wonder if you might possibly have the beginnings of a leak somewhere round the inlet manifold, that seals up when the motor warms up? Other than that, over to the experts...!
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote