Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanted 940 Estate - Petrol

Views : 1030

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2024, 21:31   #11
volvo always
Premier Member

Hope it serves you well. You are so welcome, it's what we are all here for. Our love of Volvo's and helping each other.

Early V70 is a good car, as new as I would go.

My 940 is P reg and silver so "Pewter" sort of silvery!

My Auris Hybrid is Hector as goes well together Hector the Hybrid.

Your V70 looks good. Be a lot safer in an accident I would of thought than a 940, which is an old design and probably a bit rusty.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 23:36   #12
trebor

Sorry to hear about the death of your 940 - I share your pain, as we had one for 10+ years with very little ever going wrong, then one day a drunk-driver smashed into it and it was a total write-off :'(

As a 940-lover I'd be interested to hear your experience of the 850/V70 and whether it stands up as a substitute.
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trebor For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 23:47   #13
trebor

Here's the death of 'Dutchess' (as my sister had named the car) - sorry, took me a while to figure out how to post images:

What a way to end :-(
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trebor For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 00:32   #14
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

We bought an '87(D) 745 at 11 years old and ran it for another 18 with very little more than routine servicing and renewals. We did have a new heater fitted at one point, but that was about it! The car eventually succumbed to underbody corrosion which caused it to fail an MOT and, for us, was uneconomical to repair.

We looked for some months without success for a late 945, 965 or V90 to replace it. On one visit to a dealer we saw a '00 Phase 1 V70, slightly down at heel, in the corner of his forecourt. After a test drive we both liked the car so I told him I would meet the (modest) screen price if he would put a year's MOT on it as it only had a few months remaining. He declined, but immediately offered me the car at a considerable discount as a trade sale.

We decided to take a chance and shook at that. All that the car needed for it's first MOT in my ownership was welding of the rear exhaust support and attention to the handbrake - both known issues and easy fixes. 7 years on, I'm still driving the car and it continues to serve me well. It was serviced only yesterday and apart from the usual replacements only needed a set of plugs - the first in my ownership. Total cost just over £200.

We've grown to like the car. It is slightly smaller inside than a 7/9 estate but is still a very capable load lugger. About the only downside against the RWD cars is the MASSIVE turning circle - but you do get used to that in time!

An excellent buy, and at the moment being at the bottom of it's depreciation curve, considerably cheaper than most 7/9 series cars currently on offer.

Regards, John.
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 11:23   #15
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
Here's the death of 'Dutchess' (as my sister had named the car) - sorry, took me a while to figure out how to post images:

What a way to end :-(
What vehicle hit it? Passenger compartment looks ok though.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 20:34   #16
Sally Cavanagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Hope it serves you well. You are so welcome, it's what we are all here for. Our love of Volvo's and helping each other.

Early V70 is a good car, as new as I would go.

My 940 is P reg and silver so "Pewter" sort of silvery!

My Auris Hybrid is Hector as goes well together Hector the Hybrid.

Your V70 looks good. Be a lot safer in an accident I would of thought than a 940, which is an old design and probably a bit rusty.

James

Hi James, Thank you - I must admit that I've always found this forum really helpful and good - right from when we had a few issues with the immobiliser on our silver Wentworth!! However niche I think a problem might be, there's usually already a thread on here somewhere!

I've got everything crossed that the V70 we bought will be a good one!! Still thinking of names - we're fast becoming old giffers - so the 'Silver Surfer' might be apt
Sally Cavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sally Cavanagh For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 20:48   #17
Sally Cavanagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
Sorry to hear about the death of your 940 - I share your pain, as we had one for 10+ years with very little ever going wrong, then one day a drunk-driver smashed into it and it was a total write-off :'(

As a 940-lover I'd be interested to hear your experience of the 850/V70 and whether it stands up as a substitute.
Aw, that's absolutely awful - what a gutter and what an awful way for a lovely reliable car to end it's life. Whoever hit the Duchess must have been going at some speed to do that much damage to a Volvo!

Although as James says the passenger compartment looks relatively intact - a testament to the build quality and design.

I'll keep you posted on how we find the V70 - first job is to see if we can get the headlights to be brighter - have been looking for threads on this on the V70 forum already!!
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 21:33   #18
Sally Cavanagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
We bought an '87(D) 745 at 11 years old and ran it for another 18 with very little more than routine servicing and renewals. We did have a new heater fitted at one point, but that was about it! The car eventually succumbed to underbody corrosion which caused it to fail an MOT and, for us, was uneconomical to repair.

We looked for some months without success for a late 945, 965 or V90 to replace it. On one visit to a dealer we saw a '00 Phase 1 V70, slightly down at heel, in the corner of his forecourt. After a test drive we both liked the car so I told him I would meet the (modest) screen price if he would put a year's MOT on it as it only had a few months remaining. He declined, but immediately offered me the car at a considerable discount as a trade sale.

We decided to take a chance and shook at that. All that the car needed for it's first MOT in my ownership was welding of the rear exhaust support and attention to the handbrake - both known issues and easy fixes. 7 years on, I'm still driving the car and it continues to serve me well. It was serviced only yesterday and apart from the usual replacements only needed a set of plugs - the first in my ownership. Total cost just over £200.

We've grown to like the car. It is slightly smaller inside than a 7/9 estate but is still a very capable load lugger. About the only downside against the RWD cars is the MASSIVE turning circle - but you do get used to that in time!

An excellent buy, and at the moment being at the bottom of it's depreciation curve, considerably cheaper than most 7/9 series cars currently on offer.

Regards, John.

Hi John, It's very encouraging to know that despite your long held loyalty to the 745 the V70 has grown on you! Interesting that the turning circle is not so great - I was always really impressed with how good our 940s were and the modest amount of space they needed to turn round, given their length - I haven't actually driven our 'new' V70 yet - as I had the sat nav in the insurance provided hire car, my other half got to drive the V70 back home. A very scary journey given that neither of us had driven on the M25 for decades - and it was pouring with rain all the way home. Hoping that ours will grow on me too as the 940s are getting much harder to find, especially with mileage of 150k or under. Will let you know how we get on with the Siver Machine.. I'm too young to call it a Silver Surfer I've decided!!