Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

those &*$& brake pad retaining pins

Views : 1233

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2010, 18:31   #1
redboy
Master Member

Default those &*$& brake pad retaining pins

Hi all-
After a super easy job doing the rear brakes, I decided to tackle the fronts today: Unfortunately, the two pins that secure the brake pads won't budge- (yes I removed the R-clips). It looks like they're seized in the back of the caliper. All I did was flatten the front of the pins down with my punch, and smack my thumb a few times. Grrr. I was using a punch slightly smaller than the pins themselves and a 16oz hammer.

Any tips on how I can get these out??? My next thought is to buy a sledge hammer- sound about right?

Also, people say the caliper comes off without undoing the brake lines- but there doesn't seem to be enough slack in the metal lines to get them far enough to clear the disc. Will it move further- I don't want to kink the lines.

many thanks,
Brian
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 19:04   #2
740 In France
James

When me and a friend did my front brakes I undid the nut(s) on the caliper and I carefully pulled the caliper away and held it for my friend to remove the disc. I only held it away enough to get the disc off and supported the caliper while he fitted the new disc. I refitted the caliper and checked the brake lines and all is well!! Can't help you on the pins as mine came out fine. From memory on mine the pins were installed from the front and rear of the caliper and not just installed from one side. James

Last edited by 740 In France; Mar 20th, 2010 at 19:08.
740 In France is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 19:08   #3
wooble
Stay gold baby!

I've done it with the brake lines connected. it can be don, but it is scary and feels like you'll kink a line all the time! have a bunch of bungees handy to support the caliper.

pad pins I can't help you with, mine removed themselves and fell out, luckily I caught it before the pads followed them!
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 19:36   #4
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Daft question, but are you hitting the right end of the pin Brian? It is a bit misleading AFAIK.
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 19:54   #5
Rich 264
Pinball Wizard

More force will just make things worse, probably buckling and spreading the pins in the caliper. You certainly don't want to be whacking your calipers with a sledge!

Lots of penetrating oil and give it plenty of time to soak in, and or some gentle heat from a blow torch to warm and expand the caliper housing will probably free them up eventually.

Just accept that this will probably take a bit of time and ingenuity to sort out and don't make things worse by steaming in there with ever bigger hammers etc.

Rear calipers should move enough to clear the disc, probably best to remove some pipe clips off the rear axle to give it more movement without kinking or bending the pipes.
Rich 264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 20:03   #6
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Two alternatives:

Cut one pin with a Dremel or equivalent fitted with a cutting disc near the outer pistons and extract the two pieces separately, using a centre-punch to drift out the narrow end. This will leave you with a longish bit that can be drifted out with a flat edge held against the cut end that you can apply the hammer to.

The other method is to sacrifice a retaining pin or old, thinnish screwdriver and use that as a drift - place it against the seized pin and apply the hammer to the end of the pin as above.

Use copper grease on the new pins, and on the hub mounting face where the wheel sits when installing the new pins.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 20:16   #7
244T
VOC Member

Default Pins, what fun

I know what your up against!! I have been there, a good punch and a big hammer and pray!!! may still not work, they rust solid!! and as a guy above said use copper slip on the new ones

I know what i have said is no help at all but at least your not the only one in youe boat!!

'90 740 GLT: Standard car
'80 240 DL: Lots of bits and bobs inc turbo intercooler etc etc
244T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 20:36   #8
redboy
Master Member

Thanks everyone-
I'm glad that I gave up before I did something stupid- sometimes taking a break can prevent you making bad worse. I did spray the heck out if everything with plus-gas, so maybe it'll be loose tomorrow.
I think I'm hitting the right end- from the outside of the caliper towards the engine? The back of the caliper pin seems to have a 'head' on it- right?
They're really rusty- it looks like the back of the caliper is fused to the pins. grrr.
Every other car I've worked on with Girling calipers the pins were loose enough to just pop out.
Thanks everyone for the tips.
cheers,
Brian
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 00:20   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Hi Brain,

try using mole grips to twist them first. Once they are turning you are the best part of the way there.

From memory I can remember for sure which way you knock them out. The side end that the R pin goes through comes out first from memory.

If you are stuck I'll sort it for you when you come over. Make sure you have a new hold down kit.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 09:34   #10
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

I agree with classicswede..where would we be without mole grips!!..If my memory serves me well you can grip the pins in the middle between either end and work pin in an up and down motion..I also have the long nose small vicegrip which is invaluable..once you get the pin to revolve..twist and tap..good luck..hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote