Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Moving Radio

Views : 1245

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2016, 13:13   #1
halfnelson

Default Moving Radio

Has anyone moved the radio from the dash to the cubby hole below the ashtray? Is there a specific 'basket' I need for the radio to sit in?

Thanks, Chris
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 17:59   #2
halfnelson

Just to be more specific - it's on a 92 model car. Have seen them there in older model cars. Know it can be done as it must have been there in cars with gauge clusters.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 20:59   #3
Lucien
VOC Member

Hi there, it can be done but there's a load of electrics to pull out.

The original Volvo part number to mount single din radios is 1384579 which is No Longer Available from Volvo.
1991 Volvo lower mount radio frame kit 1384579 small.jpg

The next best is Nordicar 1384579 €44
Nordicar 1384579 frame kit.jpg

Then there's the Autoleads FP-10-03 £20
Autoleads FP-10-03.jpg

I have a Wanted Ad up on the forum for the Volvo part. Meanwhile I've ordered the Autoleads one off Amazon.co.uk (£25 with free delivery). There's no decent pictures of it so I can't tell if it'll be any good or not. I'll post pictures up when I get it.

Plenty of people just cut a template from an old place mat and paint it black and then wedge the radio in.

Do you have an amplifier with your current radio? If so it may be mounted at the back of your lower cubby hole thus requiring relocation to allow a radio to fit there.

Good luck with your project!

Kind regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucien For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 10:11   #4
halfnelson

Thanks Lucien,

Will check them out. Need to move the radio as have been gradually getting gauges to fill a three gauge cluster, which goes where the radio sits now - so will want to swap soon.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 11:42   #5
Angie
Premier Member

Strange coincidence, having seen you last week, but I wanted to add the extra gauges too but a bit scared of moving the radio. I'll watch this space carefully, and there could be two very well-equipped Torslandas in Cornwall! I have the panel and just need the oil pressure gauge now. I have a modernish radio so maybe wiring won't be quite so awkward.

It all stems from having an engineer father who thought just warning lights indicated problems far too late, gauges could often give early indication of problems long before major engine damage. I quite like the 'aircraft cockpit' look too!

Last edited by Angie; Jun 2nd, 2016 at 11:44.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 16:52   #6
jetronic63

I kept the stereo in its original position and added the gauges in front of the gear lever. I figured the radio would be a PITA to use in front of the gear stick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sven B&W.jpg (153.8 KB, 25 views)
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 19:45   #7
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetronic63 View Post
I kept the stereo in its original position and added the gauges in front of the gear lever. I figured the radio would be a PITA to use in front of the gear stick.
That's clever, can you see them easily?

By the way where did you get the arm rest? Genuine Volvo ones cost a fortune, usually from USA, and not easy to find even then.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 08:01   #8
jetronic63

Yup, the gauges are easy to read from the drivers seat. I have the oil temp, pressure and battery voltage gauge there. I dont need to look at these secondary gauges all the time so for me, it works well. I do use the stereo a lot though and having it in a convenient position that minimises distraction from the road, is the priority. I got a DIN size gauge holder off Ebay for about £5 IIRC and so it was simple to fit them into the lower cubby.

I got the armrest (another Ebay purchase) for its cup holders - there was nowhere to put my Costas ! - I think its a 7 series armrest but it matches the interior perfectly. Cupholders pull out of the front and back so you can load up with lots of coffee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vbpgimage-2.jpg (63.0 KB, 21 views)
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 10:42   #9
neilnelson

does the armrest just replace the whole centre console/handbrake mount?
mine is cracked from a toddler standing on it, so this could be a good replacement.
neilnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 11:47   #10
jetronic63

My center console was cracked as well so I made up a bracket that sits on top of the console and holds the armrest - also covered up the cracks well.