Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bought my 240, now...

Views : 1215

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2006, 19:47   #1
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Default Bought my 240, now...

I've bought the 240glt that Steve Curtis had for sale. Thanks Steve, drove her home without a hitch, 200 miles exactly door to door. I was gentle on the car, first date after all, so we averaged about 60 mph for the tril, but I was very surprised when I did the fuel consumption. Brimmed the tank at ASDA in swindon, then again when I got home...23.8 lires = 5.25 gallons = 38MPG!!!!
Couple of questions that people might have the answers to (as I havn't got an owners manual yet, I think there's some on the VOC home page) but
a) Does the B230E engine have a crankcase breather system, if so, where the heck is it?
b) I assume that the silver flexi-metal pipe that runs from the exhaust downpipe forward, then across under the rad, then to the bottom of the air filter box is a cold running thingy to get warm air into the air filter? How essential is this in the UK.
c) You'll like this one. In the middle of the top of the dashboard, mounted on the 'dummy' grille, is a little black box, supplied by a tiny 3 pin plug at the back. This has on it a small LCD screen, with a pattern printed on it of grid lines, which disappear into the distance with perspective. Running down the middle of the grid is a dotted white line, just lick the centre line down a road, which also disappears into the distance with perspective. Looks just like a tiny flight simulator or artificial horizon! Name on the little box is Zercom DE710. Any ideas anyone?
Old May 6th, 2006, 21:15   #2
paul4be

The silver pipe is the warm air feed for cold starts, operated by a thermostatically controoled flap valve in the air box. Can't see it being any issue in the UK, certainly made no difference without mine.

As for the Zercom box, Google turned up lots of fish finders. Sure you haven't bought a boat??????????????

Try following the wire back and see what it connects to.

Last edited by paul4be; May 6th, 2006 at 21:20.
paul4be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 22:09   #3
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Dawe
a) Does the B230E engine have a crankcase breather system, if so, where the heck is it?
b) I assume that the silver flexi-metal pipe that runs from the exhaust downpipe forward, then across under the rad, then to the bottom of the air filter box is a cold running thingy to get warm air into the air filter? How essential is this in the UK.
c) You'll like this one. In the middle of the top of the dashboard, mounted on the 'dummy' grille, is a little black box, supplied by a tiny 3 pin plug at the back. This has on it a small LCD screen, with a pattern printed on it of grid lines, which disappear into the distance with perspective. Running down the middle of the grid is a dotted white line, just lick the centre line down a road, which also disappears into the distance with perspective. Looks just like a tiny flight simulator or artificial horizon! Name on the little box is Zercom DE710. Any ideas anyone?
The breather system is well hidden. Go to inlet manifold side of engine. Down from manifold you will find rubber bellows connecting air mass meter to manifold. Behind this is a plastic box and pipes and y piece - difficult to find and even harder to access!!

Yes your are right it is to bring in warm air for cold starts - if it fails to change automatically it tends to fail pulling in hot air - not good when engines hot. I always do away with all this.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:30   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

The hot air pipe can do worse than that if the valve in the aircleaner box fails in the open position - it can destroy the Air Mass Meter.
Also, in my case, it started the air cleaner element smouldering. Even people in Canada and Alaska report that the attachment is totally unecessary.
Blank off the port at the bottom of the air cleaner with a WD40 cap or similar.

In some states in America the pipe is visually inspected for its presence, in which case the trick is to block it internally but leave it in place as a dummy.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 16:17   #5
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Default Haynes

Bought one of the new Haynes Workshop Manuals for the 240 today....... HUM, I do have to say that I am not terribly inpressed. I'll be scouring the second hand and charity bookshops for one of the original manuals I think.
I had, but can't find now, one of the old manuals when I had my old 245GL, which seemed to be much more informative, especially regarding the Fuel Injection system. There's almost nothing in the new book about it, and nothing that I can find on how to set it up and what adjustments there are on the system.
There's a nice photo, with bits labelled.. like accelerator cable!
I'm worked out where the full open stop is, and the throtte closed adjustment, but there is a largish, knurled adjusting screw at the 'front' of the unit, underneath, just under the butterfly operating drum. I haven't touched it.. what is it, it's not even marked on the haynes manual.
Also, indicator side repeaters, I've worked out how to get the unit out of the body, but how to change the bulb? I can't see how to get the lens off. Brute force and ignorance is out as I don't want to damage anything. I've no doubt its simple, but simple when you knows how.
Just ordered an Owners manual from the club.
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:36   #6
Dez

That Zercom thing could be a temperature gauge if it's anything like this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZERCOM-REAL-TIME...QQcmdZViewItem
Old May 8th, 2006, 13:01   #7
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm worked out where the full open stop is, and the throtte closed adjustment, but there is a largish, knurled adjusting screw at the 'front' of the unit, underneath, just under the butterfly operating drum. I haven't touched it.. what is it, it's not even marked on the haynes manual.
That's the idle speed adjuster. Don't touch the open and closed adjusters!

Quote:
Also, indicator side repeaters, I've worked out how to get the unit out of the body, but how to change the bulb? I can't see how to get the lens off. Brute force and ignorance is out as I don't want to damage anything. I've no doubt its simple, but simple when you knows how.
Just ordered an Owners manual from the club.
The bulb pulls out from the rear of the assembly as far as I remember. Remove the cable and you will see...

P.S. What year is the car?
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 13:05   #8
ivor940
Master Member

Hi, re the throttle cable adjustment, try this link. It covers 700 / 900 but many items are the same on equivalent year 240s.

http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-90...ceSymptoms.htm

ivor940
ivor940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 13:36   #9
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Default The Odd Box on my Dash

Would have helped if I had quoted the name correctly!
Zemco DE710!!!
I did a search, and eventually found that its a sort of electronic car compass, like stoneage sat nav!
The original blurb says it was 'cutting edge' aircraft technology... perhaps in Lancasters?
Never mind, I think I'll see if it will come off without leaving nasty holes in the grille!
Thanks for all responses!
Old May 8th, 2006, 16:13   #10
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Never mind, I think I'll see if it will come off without leaving nasty holes in the grille!
Why? It sounds pretty cool
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote