Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

water pump leak

Views : 1207

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2013, 20:09   #1
yappy
volvo owner

Default water pump leak

Hi all,

I'm having problems with a water leak on my Torslanda and wondered if anyone has any ideas? Coolant is leaking from the seal between pump and cylinder head. The pump was replaced 12 months ago and started to leak after about six months. The local garage who fitted it have now replaced it free of charge but the new pump is also leaking, despite being fitted with lots of sealant.

Any tricks to fitting or something they could have missed? They are talking about removing the head to investigate!! which sounds a bit drastic?

thanks

peter

so far...
yappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 22:18   #2
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

There is a 'knack' to it. Ideally 3 hands needed but not necessarily ..... A lever is needed to lift and push the pump towards the block. Difficult to explain. There should be a paper gasket. This only needs a thin smear of grease to 'stick' it to the block. 'lots of sealant' should not be needed.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 22:38   #3
volvo always
Premier Member

When I replaced mine I used no sealant just the gasket and so far no problems. I used a large screwdriver to lift up the pump while tightening the two nuts. From memory the pump body has a slot each side on the pump casting holes to be able to lever the pump up and compress the seal while tightening up the nuts.
When I removed the old pump I used a stanley knife blade on all mounting surfaces to remove any old sealant/ gasket which left a very smoth surface for the gasket.

The head definately doesn't need to be investigated for a leaky pump.

James

Last edited by volvo always; Mar 19th, 2013 at 22:40.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 09:22   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Did you check that the new pump slots were clear of casting burrs and that it would pivot up and down fully before you fitted the new seal? Sometimes with a new pump you have to clean up the slots with a circular file before it will fit properly.

Is the leak from the big seal or from the heater pipe at the back? That can be tricky to fit, to get the rubber sleeve to fit neatly in the pump hole and over the pipe at the same time without crumpling. The trick is to partly-engage over the pipe and in the hole, and then press so that both slide together at the same time.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 19:29   #5
yappy
volvo owner

The leak is from the top so i assume the seal into the head. It's going back in on friday so i'll see if it's third time lucky? somebody has mentioned a second seal like a rubber band which fits with the 'top hat' seal, have you come across these?

many thanks

peter

so far...
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 21:48   #6
crusty coupe

Smile 240 pump

Pump has 2 rubber seals & 1 paper gasket.

Gasket goes on face between pump and block.

Pump has "top hat style" rubber seal on top of it to join cylinder head.

Smear this with grease to ease in, if not they can snag and not seal fully.

Rear heater pipe seal can be smeared with Hylomar/sealant to help.

They can be awkward to fit if not done before.

All parts can be got from main dealers for about £3.00 each plus vat.

Cheers Jim
crusty coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crusty coupe For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 07:55   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yappy View Post
somebody has mentioned a second seal like a rubber band which fits with the 'top hat' seal, have you come across these?

No, I've never seen or heard of that. All I have ever read is of a different version of the top-hat seal to cope with a modified cylinder head.

Keeping the seal compressed by levering the pump upwards is really tricky to do, and I am not sure that the two bolts with slotted holes are really enough to hold it in position until you can get the ordinary bolts in too. Ideally it needs contiinued upward pressure until all bolts are fully home and tightened.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 12:18   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Not sure if this can be done on the 240, you'd have to take the undertray off for a start, but a method that can be used on the earlier B18/20 engines is to use a length of wood and a trolley jack to put some upward pressure on the pump. Very easy to control.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 14:08   #9
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yappy View Post
Hi all,

I'm having problems with a water leak on my Torslanda and wondered if anyone has any ideas? Coolant is leaking from the seal between pump and cylinder head. The pump was replaced 12 months ago and started to leak after about six months. The local garage who fitted it have now replaced it free of charge but the new pump is also leaking, despite being fitted with lots of sealant.

Any tricks to fitting or something they could have missed? They are talking about removing the head to investigate!! which sounds a bit drastic?

thanks

peter
Hylomar on the top seal before fitting, then lever pump upwards with a hammer handle.
can be a blighter to fit, especially pattern water pumps.
have fun !
james.

Last edited by heckflosse; Mar 21st, 2013 at 14:09. Reason: disgraceful spelling
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 19:12   #10
yappy
volvo owner

Both pumps have been pattern parts so that may explain some of the problem, we'll see how number three works tomorrow.

Thanks to all for help and advice.

peter

so far...