Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Screen Wash Slow Leak

Views : 1216

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2017, 13:12   #1
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default Screen Wash Slow Leak

Hello. My screen washer bottle leaks and I can't find the leak yet. There are no tell take signs of leakage.

It did go down to empty but that included use so it did not determine the level of the leak. I'm rarely using the car so I am not using the washers. The bottle lost about a litre over last night and I'm leaving it to see how low it goes now. Then I'll investigate further. Start by taking the bottle off and "plugging" the exit and seeing if it leaks. Now where do I find a rubber bung ...

As cogitation, I'm wondering if a pump might develop a leak through to the headlamp washers? Is that a known possible issue?
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2017, 17:35   #2
craicedup

my 240 has developed this fault recently bonnet jet were gritted slightly and caused the pressure to split the hose on the driverside headlight washer drips half a tank overnight..

regards
declan
craicedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2017, 17:58   #3
Duncan R

[URL="http:/www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/parts.asp?carID=5&cID=84&scID=423&page=I_Washer_Eq uipment_and_Wipers[/URL]

Check this T-Piece - This is what caused my washer bottle to empty itself
Duncan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2017, 20:45   #4
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thank you both. I have found a leak at last, in the left hand headlamp washer tube. And I will check that T piece.

I suppose the headlamp washer stuff is a tad exposed to the elements and prone to failure.
Old Apr 29th, 2017, 20:55   #5
Lucien
VOC Member

Yes - I had a similar leak. It was one of the connector pieces for the headlight wash - tell tale sign was a dribble of washer fluid over the front bumper that I had previously assumed was just excess rain / car wash water finding its way to ground. Actually my mechanic diagnosed it (without even being asked) and replaced it for me when carrying out a routine service on the car. I was impressed, as it was quite annoying having the washer bottle empty most of the time.

Regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucien For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 08:48   #6
rtbcomp

I had a problem with the headlight jets siphoning fluid out of the washer bottle.
rtbcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rtbcomp For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2017, 15:14   #7
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I was wrong. I have not found the leak. I cut the tube a little short and that did not stop the leak. Coolant leaks blob by blob from the left hand jet but a new jet does not fix it.

Duncan, elimination points to that T piece thank you. https://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/...ent_and_Wipers

I'm wondering if it is a restricting valve to stop syphoning, and can it fail towards one headlight washer jet while the other jet does not leak? I will try swapping the outlet tubes around on that T piece.
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 15:54   #8
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Duncan, replacing that T piece has stopped the fluid loss. Well, none lost so far over 24 hours. I'm not terribly interested in headlight wipers and washers but I prefer that they work. Thanks.

The right hand headligt washer jet was blocked and after clearing with a safety pin, black gunge slime came through the jet from inside the 3mm internal dialeter black silicone tubing. I've washed that tubing out for now.

That tubing can be bought for £1.39 per metre including p&p on eBay. It takes 1.5 metres per side to replace the tubing between the T piece and both the jets. I reckoned best to buy 3 metres and keep half as spare tubing against the future. So I've ordered three meters for £3.96. Somehow I got some little discount.

Ahem. Volvo charge £4.80 even after discount, plus p&p, for one metre. I do try to buy from a Volvo dealer but Volvo don't help their dealers with some prices.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 20:20   #9
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

The leak is still stopped. The fluid level is still staying high in the washer reservoir. Thanks again.

I replaced the 3mm internal diameter black silicone tubes from the T piece to the jets using only 105cm in total. 29cm on the right and 76cm on the left. I think it might be possible with 1 metre of tubing. And most suppliers seem to send a slighly generous 1 metre length but one cannot bank on that.

My 1.5 metres estimate was measured without removing the old tubes from the car and was carefully fully adequate to make sure I bought enough tubing.