Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

vibration on braking

Views : 1199

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2012, 18:28   #1
cbarrow

Default vibration on braking

V40 1.9 D (2004). When braking, there is a vibration which comes through the front and the steering wheel. It's frequency appears related to speed and the steering wheel "wobbles" in time to it. I got the discs changed a while ago and that cured it last time, but it is back again after about 20k miles. I'm trying to work out what is causing it, and any precautions to take when changing the discs (again!) to try to stop it happening. The previous pads were green-stuff but now running on Mintex. Any help appreciated.
cbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 18:31   #2
dcw
VOC Member

Hi

My first thought was warped discs, but if they are new discs then probably not.

Could be a seized caliper bolt, or perhaps a caliper piston that is sluggish/slightly seized.

David
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 19:03   #3
Anadinolin
VOC Member

warped disks is my immediate thought, it could be alignment aswell, has the car had tracking done recently? also as dcw said, could be a sticky caliper

to prevent the warped disks, dont brake hard for the next 2k miles...i would suggest searching google for "bedding in new brake disks"
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 19:14   #4
malteser
Master Member

My bet would be the discs too. The previous owner had put some cheap discs on mine and if I recall rightly I done about 5000 miles and they got warped
malteser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 19:37   #5
stephend
Premier Member

May also depend on whether the hub flange was cleaned up properly when the new discs were fitted. If they don't go on perfectly true, the new ones will quickly warp. You're supposed to check the run-out with a dial test indicator, but I don't think that often happens...!
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 20:11   #6
cbarrow

I'll try changing the discs (the current set have done around 20k) and clean the flange as well as I can (though won't be able to test them since I don't have a run out gauge). the small screw that holds the disc in place is missing on both sides - does this make any difference? Many thanks for your replies so far.
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 08:54   #7
Lou Ferrigno

When I first bought my car, it had just been fitted with new discs.
After only 2000 miles, I had awful juddering when braking.
I replaced the discs and 8 years on and 70000 miles they are still perfect.
Whether the hub was not cleaned or a bad disc ? ?
Lou Ferrigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 09:02   #8
Anadinolin
VOC Member

the screws on both sides are just to hold the disk flat while you put the wheel on. they dont matter so much as the wheel clamps the disks to the flange anyway. get a wire brush and clean off the muck from the flange, check for any visual damage, put a thin layer of copper slip ( so that the disks arent hard to remove if they are on there a long time)

im not sure how you would check for sticky calipers, but that can and will warp ur disks my guess would be to go for a 5-6 mile drive on a straight, get out and feel the wheels for heat, the hottest of the two will be the one with the sticky caliper, you can get them serviced or get another previously refurbished set, both have the same effect: free and easy calipers
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 09:32   #9
dcw
VOC Member

As others have said, if the new discs were not properly fitted onto a clean hub, then they will effectively have been doomed from the start.

Checking caliper for heat is the simplest way to see if it might be sticking a bit one side - but be careful!

David
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 17:39   #10
cbarrow

Thanks everyone. Will get some new discs and give the hub a damn good clean! That's my Christmas job sorted now. Always some tinkering on the car required!