Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

All lights come on on parking sometimes

Views : 840

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2009, 18:29   #1
stapleford

Default All lights come on on parking sometimes

Dont know if this is posted elsewhere so appologies, but my 09 plate V50 rdesign 2.0d auto DSG auto has an intermittent issue when parking
Since new 1st march 2009, the car sometimes brings all the external lights on when removing the key and locking doors. that is full beam, front and rear fogs and brake lights. The key fob has no affect, or the remote park light function and turning the switch to side lights etc has no affect

The work around is to re insert key and turn on and then off again. Did it tonight up in scotland. It has 15k on it now and has already had first 12k service so rang to ask them to log fault and obtain a "fix" on the 24k in a few months
Dealer told me that this is a known issue and is due to the key being removed too quick! Not very good if you walk away and dont notice untill you return to flat battery (esp as all the bulbs are on which is a substantial load)
I was so surprised by the response that I logged a complaint with customer services who are investigating.
Anyone else heard about this issue. Dont know if other models are affected

Oh an the PG is very poor. At constant mway point to point on cruise at sat nav 70mph, it comes in at 40-43 mpg. Same load and journeys in previous 140bhp Touran Sport came in at 47-52 mpg! Again garage say that this is normal
been like this from new and hasnt improved even at 15k miles. Others have the same model saloons in manual and are getting the same from the 2.0 D!!
any ideas
stapleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 10:36   #2
7050man
Master Member

Not aware of any software issues with symptom you descibe, but it may be the follow home lights.

If you inadvertantly pull the main beam stalk, then follow me home lights will come on for about 30 seconds or so and go off on their own.

MPG will depend on how you drive and road conditions. I've not owned a VW but people tell me that they are better on fuel than Ford based engines.

Incidently, my 2.0 D has averaged 51mpg since new and if I drive carefully on motorwy I can easily get an indicated 60+mpg.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 11:46   #3
Harvey1512
Premier Member

There have been many threads on fuel consumption but I would say the following. I have a 2.0D S40, 1 year old, 18,000 miles on the clock. I don't have trip a computer so my MPG info is based on fact, topping the tank etc. The trip computers always exaggerate by a few mpg so don't place too much store by them. I average between 45-47mpg doing a mixture of journeys. If I have a pure motorway trip then I get up to 49-50mpg. All my figures have improved by 2-3mpg since having the car from new, that is the diesel way.

If you accept that auto boxes get 3-4mpg less than manual, & I have never quite worked out why, then you are in the right area for this Volvo.

VW diesels, in particular the new ones, do get better fuel consumption than the Volvo's. It is disappointing that the gap is so large and it may mean that when I change my S40 next year I will look very closely at the Seat Exeo. An Audi A4 in disguise along with a new super economical diesel engine giving mid to late 50's MPG is very attractive. If Volvo don't look at this for the new S60, the S40 will shortly be dropped, then they will leak a lot of customers to mfrs who have more economical engines. Incidentally I don't accept the Drive 1.6 engine as a comparison against the VW 2.0 version. A colleague at a work has this engine in his Skoda and it is a beauty. There is no compromise in this engine which you undoubtedly have with the Volvo 1.6d.

I don't want to mug this thread regarding your lights issue, I just hope that this helps to identify why your mpg is disappointing.
Harvey1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 22:51   #4
badradar

Re lights issue - does sound like the left stalk being pressed (I do it often in my excitement to get out when pulling the ignition keys out) - take a look in the config menu on your console and it has the delay that can be set (we are assuming that the lights actually do turn of after max 90 secs? !!)
badradar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 17:15   #5
stapleford

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradar View Post
Re lights issue - does sound like the left stalk being pressed (I do it often in my excitement to get out when pulling the ignition keys out) - take a look in the config menu on your console and it has the delay that can be set (we are assuming that the lights actually do turn of after max 90 secs? !!)
Hi thanks for the input
no its is def not the follow home. All and I mean all bulbs front and rear are lit and do not go off.
The dealer service receptionist said it was as a stated "confusing the cars ECU, by removing the key too quick after turning it off"!!

Great if you notice, but should be foolproof in reality

I posted some comments on fuel on the E drive post so no you are not hijacking and thanks
Again dealer reckons 43 is normal!
The new twin clutch Auto box shouldnt really take any more fuel other than weight pen as it has no slippage from a torque converter like they used to, and wont change up too soon or late again optimising performance
Sadly, I have no trip so it is all based on brimming the tank but i keep accurate records from new

On 15k miles on it since new on 1st march09 !! so lets hope it gets better
Love it though to drive with 8 hr 450 mile trips up an down to Aberdeen being a dream, especially lack of clutch at roundabouts where you can keep your hands on the wheel.
stapleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 21:41   #6
badradar

Ok about the lights issue... will try and induce it as you have been told by confusing the ECU, problem is really about them then not turning off. Will let you know...
badradar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 10:48   #7
kirium

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapleford View Post
I posted some comments on fuel on the E drive post so no you are not hijacking and thanks
Again dealer reckons 43 is normal!
Hi, I always thought that autos were a little heavier on fuel than their manual counterparts?. I've travelled 23k in my 2.0d manual from new. I've just had a look at my records and discovered I've averaged 45.4 over that distance. I work out my mpg on paper (for my expenses claims) not using the trip computer. In saying that though the trip displays my average mpg as 45.9, I pretty much haven't reset the average mpg from new. So it would seem the trip is more accurate than we give it credit for? I think generally the 2.0d's aren't "awesome" on fuel, 43 sounds ok though
kirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 11:38   #8
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Not being able to comment on your lights issue, I thought I would add regarding fuel consumption.

Wife has the S40 2.0D Powershift and we both find it to be a fantastic engine/gearbox combo.

The car only has about 1400 mls on the clock but her average (90% town driving!) on the trip computer shows 38 mpg. On a motorway run, the computer happily shows around 60+ at a steady 70. Amazing if you ask me.

We worked the average over the last 1200 miles and it came to over 45.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 15:58   #9
grass hopper
Premier Member

with reference to the lights,i had one a while ago that did the oposite,the lights would not come on when the indicator stalk was flicked back.

a CEM software reload fixed this one.

worth a try on yours.
grass hopper is offline   Reply With Quote