Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

my beast has a mind of its own

Views : 1458

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2009, 22:03   #1
marko_850_t5

Default my beast has a mind of its own

hey guys i have searched but to no joy

i have a 850 t5 wether the engine is cold or warm when i change gear, foot completely off the throtle it revs up half a thou then drops on every gear change?

also i wiped down the engine compartment the other day then today i changed the head light bulbs and noticed that there was a small amount of oil running down the outside of the dip stick tube thing and a bit on the manifold and the top rad hose any ideas what could be causing this ?

Boost oh the smiles and the look of shock
marko_850_t5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 12:21   #2
dooby
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I'm not too certain but I think a lot of people have said the manual cars hold on to revs a bit on a gear change. My car is a bit of a freak as it was an auto but is now a manual running an auto ECU so I don't have direct experience of this. Maybe others can comment if this is common on standard manual cars.

For the oil issue, could your Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system be blocked? This might cause excessive pressure in the sump, which could cause oil vapour to come out at the top of the dipstick. Maybe it makes it as far over as the radiator hose? Perhaps worth replacing the dipstick top O ring once you've established whether you need to change your PCV pipework.

Cheers, Pete
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 13:44   #3
John_C
Allons-y!

It's not uncommon on the manual 850 T5's, I had it and found adapting my driving style so I came off the throttle a bit earlier when changing gear helped. When I had my PCV system changed it got a bit better too, so as Dooby says probably worth checking that.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 16:44   #4
needforswede
Chequered Roof Aficionado

My old T5 didn't rev up at all but it held onto revs when I was changing gear causing an annoying surge when I got into the next gear. Changing my vacuum hoses resolved this issue, altough I remain unsure of the reason.

1995 Volvo 854 2.0 10v S Auto "Old Reliable"
needforswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 22:15   #5
storming

Default Clutch

Could be the clutch needs bleeding, was with mine, GUNSON EASY BLEED is the only way i found. needs over 20 psi
storming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 22:26   #6
marko_850_t5

thanks for the responses whats in volved with the clutch issues ?
can any one show me a pic of the hoses so i know where too start looking :P

Old Oct 13th, 2009, 22:43   #7
dooby
Forum Support Team

Hi,

bleeding the clutch is not a bad job I don't think. No worse than bleeding the brakes, possibly easier (as there's only one bleed nipple). I used a Gunson bleed kit as suggested, and a bicycle tyre at 20psi. I reached down to the slave cylinder in the gap between the inlet manifold and the radiator pack. There's a rubber cover over the bleed nipple then you need a good 6 sided socket to loosen the nipple (it's small, 8mm maybe?) and then you can use a 5 sided brake spanner (if you can find one small enough) or an open spanner but I wouldn't break loose or fully tighten except using a 6 sided socket in case you round it off.

EDIT I've only done this once so maybe other members have addtional tips.

HTH, Pete
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

Old Oct 14th, 2009, 05:28   #8
glock19

I had this for my manual R too. Only remedy is to use an auto ECU or mapping which removes this "spike" in the revs completely. If you are going for a ECU chipping, ask for auto transmission spec.
glock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 19:51   #9
marko_850_t5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
I had this for my manual R too. Only remedy is to use an auto ECU or mapping which removes this "spike" in the revs completely. If you are going for a ECU chipping, ask for auto transmission spec.
did you check the crank preasure hose thing or did you just chip it ?
what does the auto chip have over the man chip to remove the "spike"/lift in rev's ?

Old Oct 17th, 2009, 21:20   #10
dooby
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko_850_t5 View Post
what does the auto chip have over the man chip to remove the "spike"/lift in rev's ?
I don't actually know - I assumed the map for the autos just had different values which meant this didn't happen. Be interested to hear, if anyone has any theories or a better explanation than my guess :-)

Cheers, Pete

Tags
850 t5, boost, oil