Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

can I charge this battery

Views : 619

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2020, 21:59   #1
jack taylor
Master Member

Default can I charge this battery

Hi, I have not been able to drive my car for nearly 8 weeks due to lockdown here in spain. On her way out to do shopping in her car my Wife tried to start my volvo but the battery is dead. It has a "sealed for life" battery which I propose to remove and charge but is that safe to do as there doesn't seem to be anyway of venting it. Perhaps the best way is to jump start from my Wifes car. I am sure this is a very basic and silly question but I would rather ask than ruin my battery. Thanks
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2020, 22:04   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

I stand to be corrected, but I should think that you'll be fine to charge it so long as the charger you are using isn't too high current, i.e. it's a proper one fit for purpose. I've charged many a "sealed for life" battery with no problems.
Old May 6th, 2020, 22:17   #3
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
I stand to be corrected, but I should think that you'll be fine to charge it so long as the charger you are using isn't too high current, i.e. it's a proper one fit for purpose. I've charged many a "sealed for life" battery with no problems.
Yes, this ^^^^^

I have charged many 'sealed for life' batteries over the years and never had any problems. My charger charges at 4amps and gradually reduces as charge builds up.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2020, 22:42   #4
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I also concur, Jack. My charger behaves in exactly the way that 'ITSv40' describes.

If your battery can accept the full output from the alternator, it will certainly take what is essentially a 'trickle' charge. With three cars to look after, I've also bought a cheap multimeter and check the resting / no load voltage every couple of days or so.

12.6 plus indicates a fully charged battery. A reading of 12.2 is about half charge, and time to recharge. I initially allowed my V70 to fall below 12.0, and needed to resort to my jump starter. It is not a good idea to let it fall much lower, as the charger may struggle and the battery permanently compromised.

Some may recommend fitting one of the smart chargers that are now available, and that of course is the ideal, but there should be no reason for you not to charge your battery in the manner described.

Regards, John.
Old May 7th, 2020, 11:37   #5
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I've recharged sealed batteries from dead before (usually after leaving the sidelights on so as not to drain the battery with the ignition on, then forgetting to turn them off when I turn the ignition off, doh!), I charge mine in the garage so if anything did go wrong it's not exploding/spraying acid/leaking fumes in the house, but essentially you don't get the spattering of acid around you used to get from an old battery bubbling with all of the cell caps out.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2020, 16:20   #6
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Guys, as always many thanks for your advices. My old battery charger is marked "Low" for overnight charge and "High" for fast charge. Having regards to your advice I shall go for the "slow", again thanks so much for your help. jack.
The Following User Says Thank You to jack taylor For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2020, 17:09   #7
Willow place

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
Hi, I have not been able to drive my car for nearly 8 weeks due to lockdown here in spain. On her way out to do shopping in her car my Wife tried to start my volvo but the battery is dead. It has a "sealed for life" battery which I propose to remove and charge but is that safe to do as there doesn't seem to be anyway of venting it. Perhaps the best way is to jump start from my Wifes car. I am sure this is a very basic and silly question but I would rather ask than ruin my battery. Thanks
As you live in "Sunny" Spain why not have a Solar Trickle charger ? Perfect ! That is what I have "IN CASE!" (Also Sunny Spain)
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2020, 21:38   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

If you are going to charge the battery on the bench, perhaps you can arrange the jump leads to keep power to your car from you wife's battery. A bit fiddly to do but it will stop you losing any electrical settings on you car even if it's just the radio presets. You might also lose the ECU memory of how you drive. Do I sound if I know what I am talking about?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2020, 21:58   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
The battery is not sealed it has a vent on the side with a hose , You will need a decent 20A charger and leave on for as long as possible 24 to 48 hours would be good . However these modern batteries do not like being left flat so you might find it's capacity is seriously reduced . Volvo recommend to charge the battery every two weeks in these current conditions on non use .
Old May 8th, 2020, 16:16   #10
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Guys, I am most grateful to you all for the further advice. You certainly do Derek as I had not given any thought to losing "memory". Taking your advice onboard my wife and I took a chance and both went to our cars and "jumped" my volvo and she fired up first time.Our lockdown restrictions are very strict over here and were we to have been seen by old bill a fine of €601.00 would have been imposed. What fun. Stay safe Guys and thanks again to you all. jack