Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is it ok to charge part-used EV battery every day?

Views : 778

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2022, 15:37   #1
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Default Is it ok to charge part-used EV battery every day?

My job has changed from using the full (20-24m) battery range every day, to doing maybe 10 or 15m with charge remaining.

So, am I ok to carry on my habit of plugging it in every evening when I get home, or is there some 'memory effect' that I need to avoid, by fully depleting it etc?

It's a V60 D6 PHEV.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 18:40   #2
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Its a piece of string question.

In an ideal world the answer is "no", but then most cars have bettery conditioning circuitry which counters that to a large degree.

Mrs Familyman plugs in her Mini when it is moderately low on electrons in the tank.
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 22:21   #3
zoidberg
Master Member

Can't wait for all these EV owners to have to replace the batteries ! What a joy to see their faces when the bill to replace is more than the car, then find out nobody wants to pay ridiculous amounts for a second hand problem trap. Oh how I will laugh when all the sob posts start appearing. About a month ago in local Tesco's, within a week Isaw emergancy services trying to break into THREE cars that were plugged in to charge up, seems like the system locks and refuses to open, and they were all different makes as well !
zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zoidberg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 23:01   #4
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

That's helpful, thanks.

I like my diesel electric
Old Apr 17th, 2022, 07:43   #5
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
Can't wait for all these EV owners to have to replace the batteries ! What a joy to see their faces when the bill to replace is more than the car, then find out nobody wants to pay ridiculous amounts for a second hand problem trap. Oh how I will laugh when all the sob posts start appearing. About a month ago in local Tesco's, within a week Isaw emergancy services trying to break into THREE cars that were plugged in to charge up, seems like the system locks and refuses to open, and they were all different makes as well !
Lets hope you dont need to pay out for a new engine in your car and someone else doesn't pop up with such pathetic schadenfreude.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Apr 17th, 2022 at 07:45.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2022, 09:38   #6
Deryck
Deryck

Thumbs up

Familyman 90 Well said ! Unbelievable how some people’s mind works.
Deryck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2022, 11:01   #7
zoidberg
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Lets hope you dont need to pay out for a new engine in your car and someone else doesn't pop up with such pathetic schadenfreude.
Point is I could replace the complete car cheap enough. That option is removed with a totally electric car. Ask yourself this, would you buy a second hand internal combustion engined vehicle that has a problem with fuel use, or an electric one with power production fault that can only be solved by a battery replacement ?? That in itself is a serious wallet wacker. Also range is crap, if I want to go from Leeds to London, then I would have to stop at least once for a full recharge and the same on way back, all adding extra time to the day. At present Ican jump into my internal combustion engined box and get straight there and back without stopping , and that includes having headlights on and heater and wipers and rear demist (which folk tend to leave on), and heated seats. Try that with an EV whilst sat in a ten mile motorway traffic jam !! So to summarise, they are not worth it, hybrids yes, and the way forward is to push hydrogen forwards more. As someone has said, it is the VHS vBetamax scenario, and in that battle the best one lost due to major manufacturers picking the wrong one to promote.
The Following User Says Thank You to zoidberg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2022, 11:32   #8
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
About a month ago in local Tesco's, within a week Isaw emergancy services trying to break into THREE cars that were plugged in to charge up, seems like the system locks and refuses to open, and they were all different makes as well !
That will be the chargers not the cars.

Bit like garages filling a tank with the wrong fuel (it happens).

Anyway, I'll charge my car from my house 3 pin plug every night and glide around until the diesel kicks in.

Last edited by Ulrikas PA; Apr 17th, 2022 at 11:40.
Old Apr 17th, 2022, 19:02   #9
zoidberg
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
That will be the chargers not the cars.

Bit like garages filling a tank with the wrong fuel (it happens).

Anyway, I'll charge my car from my house 3 pin plug every night and glide around until the diesel kicks in.
Two points here about your post, one is that it was THE CAR not allowing entry whilst plugged in, thus given the possibility that the whole locking system got fried. Second is you are referring to a hybrid when talking about the diesel to kick in, so not really an EV as such ! This is all before the discussion of the earth being raped for rare minerals to make the damn batteries, or the fact that they are EXTREMELY difficult to dismantle as the batteries have a tendency to explode if not dismantled correctly, etc etc etc. So all the green eco warriors should really look into the problems created by EV's that can be seen NOW, and we can all worry about the unknown ones at a later date. The push to use diesel engines springs to mind as a modern example !
Old Apr 17th, 2022, 19:22   #10
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Wow. Off to start another thread and live my life in peace.