Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Updating maps on a V40 Sat Nav

Views : 1179

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2016, 20:02   #1
WOT4

Default Updating maps on a V40 Sat Nav

Hi,
I have just spent close on 5 hours up dating the maps on the Satnav of my recently purchased year old V40 SE Lux Nav. What a tedious process.

I wondered if anyone can tell me what happens next time I do it.

Do I format the flash-drive and then spend another 2.5 hours downloading the maps from the PC, or does it over-write the changes over the current down load in less time?

Assuming I update the maps more frequently, will the installation take less time than the 1.5 hours that the last installation took or about the same?

Hoping that someone has experience of the process,

Regards,

Alan
WOT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 22:48   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

Should try doing new xc90 maps, there 32gig and takes 8 hours at a resonable speed broadband connection

Then another 45 minutes to load into car,

Altho saying that its better than the old method of loading 4 discs into car one at a time and it taking 4 hours to load into car
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 16:17   #3
techwatcher
Master Member

Alan,

Sorry to say that next time the process will be exactly the same as this time - the map updates released are complete and not incremental to the previous update and map updates take about the same amount of time each time.

There is no way of getting c.17GB of data to your car that is simple, cheap and fast; perhaps the "best" way would be to send flash drives out with the update installed, but that would drive up the cost.

And as Rooster said, the current situation is better than the DVD update solution on the previous generation of Volvo sat-nav...
techwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote