Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 d4 mpg and performance and comparing it to v60

Views : 1360

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2016, 14:10   #1
cejsmith
VOC Member

Default V40 d4 mpg and performance and comparing it to v60

I'm thinking of selling my v60 d5 and getting a v40 d4 . What's people's getting mpg wise and has anybody else gone from a v60 to one and if so what are there thoughts.
Skoda Superb 272 L&K estate sold
V90 CC B6
cejsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2016, 19:19   #2
Carl Sberglager

Had my V40 D4 (190 bhp) just over a year. Love the performance of the engine, drive it to enjoy, rather than for economy and have averaged 42mpg.
Old Feb 8th, 2016, 14:41   #3
civilservant

I cannot help with your specific question but I would advise that you're absolutely certain the V40 is the right car for you.

I only lived with mine for a year before biting the bullet and getting the V60. I simply could not cope with the small boot (we had a spare tyre so the floor space was raised) or the rather cramped interior.

Apart from that, the V40 is a great car if you can live with the small size.
civilservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2016, 18:26   #4
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
I cannot help with your specific question but I would advise that you're absolutely certain the V40 is the right car for you.

I only lived with mine for a year before biting the bullet and getting the V60. I simply could not cope with the small boot (we had a spare tyre so the floor space was raised) or the rather cramped interior.

Apart from that, the V40 is a great car if you can live with the small size.
I thought interior space was the same on a V40 and V60?

I still find the D4 impressive pulls like a train and so quiet and smooth unless pushed really hard.
Economy is on par with anything else out there so no real point buying on economy these days, our MK7 (yawn) Golf with 2.0l TDi on similar journeys is roughly the same at around high 40's low 50's although the surgy rough engine is not quite as refined.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2016, 09:01   #5
Carl Sberglager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post

I still find the D4 impressive pulls like a train and so quiet and smooth unless pushed really hard.
Economy is on par with anything else out there so no real point buying on economy these days, our MK7 (yawn) Golf with 2.0l TDi on similar journeys is roughly the same at around high 40's low 50's although the surgy rough engine is not quite as refined.
Agree on D4 performance, I had a 3.0 A5 Quatro for 5 years before the V40 and performance on a par, but less fuel! Although I do miss AWD sometimes in the Winter
Old Feb 10th, 2016, 09:46   #6
civilservant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post
I can assure you it's not!
civilservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 14:37   #7
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
I can assure you it's not!
Fair enough been a while since I sat in one, I know rear space in the V40 is not great and difficult to get in and out of for some compared to say a Golf/A3 due to the doors, and boot space is limited also. So important decision to make when stepping down I came from an XC60 size car and have had no problems only thing I miss is the high driving position, and a foot rest!! I spend 90% of the time commuting on my own and carrying nothing these days so felt a downsize was the right choice.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2016, 18:45   #8
conedia

I came from a Citroen C5, which was HUGE inside. I have to admit I do miss this space - the other day I was transporting a projection screen. This screen used to fit in the C5 without lowering a rear seat back. Even with a seat back lowered, in the V40 it was a tight fit. Nonetheless, the V40 is not too bad, and I have not yet found it unable to get anything in I need to carry.
conedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 13:31   #9
Ghedi

I have owned my V40 D4 for 3 months and covered just over 3k, 80% of which is undulating motorways. I did a little experiment for two weeks recently and drove it at around 65mph on the motorways just to see what the MPG would be, On average I was getting 49.5MPG.

I am no racer but prior to this I was averaging low 47MPG which I am quite happy with given the 190BHP under my right foot.

I suppose if you buy a V40 for economy only then you probably need to look at the D2 variant.
Ghedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 23:19   #10
andymcp
Premier Member

I haven't switched, but our house does have both cars. I got the V60 to be the family load carrier, replacing an SUV. There's certainly no way a V40 could pull that off. But economy wise my V60 geartronic averages a real world 50mpg+, the V40 manual (old unit D2 engine) more like 60+. Like for like I'd expect a few mpg more in a 40 compared to 60 given its lighter weight and better aero.

Other comparisons - the V60 is designed around up to 5 passengers, the V40 really only seats 4. But by moving the outside 2 rear seats slightly inboard the V40 makes for a nicer 4-seat environment than the V60. I'm 5'11" and don't find it too tight on space anywhere but the boot is noticeably smaller. Don't bother with the raised floor, it's pointless if you carry any sort of luggage. I find the V40 nicer to drive, in fact if I was buying again I'd get one and let Mrs McP sort out a bigger family car.

There are subtle differences in controls too - where the V60 only has independent temp controls for left and right, the V40 lets you choose to have joined or separate control. The V40 has a proper handbrake, not the stupidly-positioned EPB of the V60. The glove box in the V40 has a cooler. You can change the interior light colours. Overall, I find it a more comfortable although less practical car, although the practicality only really refers to the load carrying. Oh, and V40s are stupidly expensive if you go to town on the options. Thankfully there are many well-loaded examples nearly new at more sensible prices.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote