Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wi-FI - connection problems - a solution

Views : 1646

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2023, 13:13   #1
ma42

Default Wi-FI - connection problems - a solution

My Volvo V60 (MY23) will not connect to my home broadband modem router via Wi-Fi. I've tried both a BT smart hub 2 and a FritzBox 3490.

Most modern broadband routers Wi-FI default to none SSID (service set identifier) differentiation between 2.4GHz & 5GHz (some give the option to choose to differentiate)

i.e. both 2.4GHz & 5GHz have the same SSID (unique username of Wi-Fi network) and the device trying to connect will choose the appropriate frequency.

The Volvo modem cannot seem to select the correct frequency (2.4GHz) to make a connection and will not see undifferentiated SSID broadband routers. I connected an old modem (FritzBox 7170) that only has a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connection and my V60 connected without problem.

If both 2.4 & 5GHz are using the same SSID then try assigning unique SSIDs to each frequency. If it works then please post name & model of modem and any other setup changes to get your Volvo connecting to the home wi-fi network.
ma42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 14:04   #2
neilgorin

Why not buy a range extender? These are easy to set up and invariably give one or the other band extended with your normal SSID with _ext on the end (e.g. BTHUB5AA44JJQ_ext).

Then get the car to connect to that.

£20 on Amazon, plug in and forget about it.
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 14:40   #3
ma42

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgorin View Post
Why not buy a range extender? These are easy to set up and invariably give one or the other band extended with your normal SSID with _ext on the end (e.g. BTHUB5AA44JJQ_ext).

Then get the car to connect to that.

£20 on Amazon, plug in and forget about it.
It does not need a range extender. The problem is that the Volvo Wi-Fi modem is not able to connect to the broadband modem if the 2.4GHz frequency has the same SSID as the 5GHz.

I see what your getting at as I've used an old router that only transmits 2.4GHz to resolve the problem but a range extender that will only boost the 2.4GHz might have the same problem. I could of course use separate SSIDs on my router but this creates other problems.

Last edited by ma42; Jun 5th, 2023 at 14:44.
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 15:13   #4
neilgorin

I would simply use the extender with a separate SSID.

I've got a long thin house, BT router at one end, extender in the middle, another extender 2/3 of the way along, each one broadcasts with a different SSID, doesn't really cause an issue as phones, ipads etc just auto change to the strongest one if the signal drops off. Could never get it to work reliably if they all had the same ID as when the power went off they'd not necessarily connect up correctly.

You could for example just use one and only transmit from the extender the 2.4g band, call it something like "Volvo" and just use it for the car.
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 16:26   #5
ma42

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgorin View Post
I would simply use the extender with a separate SSID.

I've got a long thin house, BT router at one end, extender in the middle, another extender 2/3 of the way along, each one broadcasts with a different SSID, doesn't really cause an issue as phones, ipads etc just auto change to the strongest one if the signal drops off. Could never get it to work reliably if they all had the same ID as when the power went off they'd not necessarily connect up correctly.

You could for example just use one and only transmit from the extender the 2.4g band, call it something like "Volvo" and just use it for the car.
In effect that's what I'm doing with the old modem/router. It's connected to my primary modem using a LAN port. The old router just has wi-fi enabled with a separate SSID that uses 2.4GHz and is picked up by my Volvo. The distance is not an issue as the router is about 6 foot from where the car is parked. I posted after seeing comments in other forums with the same problem and no answers from Volvo or their dealers. My nearest garage is an hour away and they wanted my car in for a whole day to 'investigate' as the last time they looked at this they scratched their heads and suggested I contact my ISP. So I started experimenting to try and find the root of the problem.
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 16:33   #6
WaylanderUK

Long thin house, you need a hive setup, then one ssid for the whole house and garden, and auto hand off of Wi-Fi video calls and voice with no loss of service
WaylanderUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 16:34   #7
neilgorin

5 ghz has less penetration but higher transfer rate - wouldn't be surprised if the car is seeing that and trying to connect but failing, then not dropping back to the wider 2.4ghz band because it's got the same SSID.

I know I have this issue on my BT Extender and in the end changed the SSID of the 5ghz to Extendername_FAST so that I could choose. My wife has one of those Peloton exercise bikes and it flat refuses to work if connected to the 5ghz connection, even though it connects it won't play it's videos.
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 17:27   #8
mr rusty

Quote:
The problem is that the Volvo Wi-Fi modem is not able to connect to the broadband modem if the 2.4GHz frequency has the same SSID as the 5GHz.
This is a common problem not only with Volvo. Had the same with a new router from Zen - could not get a chromebook to connect. Their (very helpful) support made a remote tweak so that 2.4 and 5GHz SSIDs did not default to the same name.
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 17:48   #9
ma42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
This is a common problem not only with Volvo. Had the same with a new router from Zen - could not get a chromebook to connect. Their (very helpful) support made a remote tweak so that 2.4 and 5GHz SSIDs did not default to the same name.
First time I've had this problem ..... changed to single SSID when I changed my ISP to BT and find it very convenient, so reluctant to go back to separate SSIDs. It's not really a big problem as the onboard SIM seems to cope with software and map updates (just downloaded v2.9) and if I really need to I can always temporarily connect an old router with 2.4GHz wi-fi configured like an extender with a separate SSID from my primary modem/router.
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 18:42   #10
rhd443

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma42 View Post
First time I've had this problem ..... changed to single SSID when I changed my ISP to BT and find it very convenient, so reluctant to go back to separate SSIDs. It's not really a big problem as the onboard SIM seems to cope with software and map updates (just downloaded v2.9) and if I really need to I can always temporarily connect an old router with 2.4GHz wi-fi configured like an extender with a separate SSID from my primary modem/router.
The reason is that these dual band routers delay the 2.4ghz beacons slightly to make devices favour the 5ghz, so your device either doesn't connect or it times out due to the frames. Either split them down or use a range extender to re-advertise a new ssid running 2.4only outside.
rhd443 is offline   Reply With Quote