Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hello - new to the forum

Views : 12227

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 23:04   #1
Tramp

Default Hello - new to the forum

Hello, I'm luke, I'm 27 and I live in South Yorkshire, I've also bought a new car and though here would be the best place to talk about it, my new car is a 1984 240DL with 47,000 miles!

So what would make me want to buy a tank like this?

Well my love affair with Volvo started years ago, my grandad had a 740 GL, it was a fantastic car, I can remind him taking me out in it and driving at 40mph in a 60 zone with loads of cars trailing behind us, I used to like pushing the seat warmer buttons and watching my grandpa grow uncomfortably hot in his seat before realising. That car was a great car and he had it for years, one of its best qwerks was that for the first few miles the speedo wouldn't work and I can always remember it havering that Volvo interior smell. I can remember divvying up my grandads positions with my cousin and deciding who got what if he died, of course I got the car! - luckily he didn't die (and is still going strong) but the Volvo did, it failed an MOT on corrosion so an appointment was booked at the scrapyard, he did save me the front number plate before it went.

And to now,

I've always had a thing for interesting cars or cars with character and I've always fancied a Volvo, so last week I was browsing eBay and I found a nice 240 saloon (I've always preferred the saloons - I think they have better lines) and it wasn't too far from me, I spoke to the mrs and put a bid in, I was number one for a few days then I was outbid, I was a little disappointed, but kept on watching, in the last few minutes of the auction I put a bid in and won the auction! I spoke to the seller that night and then less than 24 hours later I was in proud possession of my new 240dl. The 50mile trip home was uneventful but being a novice Volvo / automatic owner I made a few mistakes, I couldn't find the window winder buttons so I sweated all the way home in the Volvo sauna while my wife watched on from her air condition Picasso, I also count find the lumber adjust on the seat - I assumed they were just fixed!

So at home, I tried to fit the whale into my garage I thought it would easily fit, unfortunately it didn't, I had to move some drawers and it squeezed in with merely 1.5" between the wall and the bumper and the bumper and the roller shutter door. - a little tighter than I would of liked!

And to today, I couldn't wait to go out and take a spin in my new car so I headed up to the post office, on my way back home I had a problem, my brakes stopped working! I limped home using my handbrake and my NSF calliper was smoking. On closer inspection. All my dust seals had melted off and my calliper was partially seized on, a friend called around(he has the same taste in cars as me) and we freed off the calliper and worked the pistons until they were free, it appears to be ok now but I'm waiting on dust seals from eBay (my local motor factors were dire) although I'm not going to be driving my Volvo it will give me a chance to sort a few niggles with the car,

Firstly the fuel level gauge and the temp gauge don't work,
Secondly the drivers window doesn't operate

So that's me up to now, and now for the picture

The eBay advert picture

And just after I had driven home

Then squeezed in my garage

Then today out and about

And finally just starting brake surgery

I'm very happy with it!
Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Tramp For This Useful Post: