Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5244T16 - is it a twin turbo?

Views : 4993

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2012, 14:39   #1
RDRcontact

Default D5244T16 - is it a twin turbo?

Hi all,

Since few days I am happy to own a XC60 I bought the car second hand (it is approax 1.5 years old) and I've received some controversial info so far regarding the engine.

My XC60 (MY2010) is equiped with the D3 engine which is the same as D5 - 2.4 liters but with less power (different software and injectors). The engine number starts with D5244T16.

My dealer said that the engine sports a single turbine, while searching for this particular engine in the net I found info that D5244T16 is a twin turbo engine.

These are the engine specs from RICA:

2.4D Euro 5 (163 hp / 420 Nm)

- Available MY 2010 onwards
- VIN Code YV1xx80
- D5244T16
- Twin turbo engine
- Tunes to 245 hp / 500 Nm
- Found in XC70, XC60
- Same engine as the D5 Euro 5 205 hp
- Only available for the certain markets

source: http://www.rica.nl/identify.aspx

other info re the engine could be found at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_D5_engine

What is confusing (at least to me) is that Volvo are labeling as D3 their 2.0 and 2.4 engines.

The pull is quite good so I don't feel a substantial 'turbo hole'. Could it be that the dealer is wrong?
RDRcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 14:53   #2
robsv40
I've Been Banned

Open the bonnet and have a look.
Twin stage is slightly different. One small turbo for low driving speed and when you boot it, boost bypasses the little one in favour of the big one.

Best explanation I could find on the net.

With Twin Stage Turbo we have a small turbocharger operating at low rpm for optimal low-end-torque and response from low vehicle speed. This small turbo is passed when the required power output increases and a second turbocharger with higher size comes into operation. Besides the improvement of overall performances, the TST technology allows increasing the EGR rate without penalties on fuel consumption and therefore gives a relevant contribution towards NOx emission reduction.

Last edited by robsv40; May 11th, 2012 at 14:59.
robsv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 23:56   #3
Blue693

If it's a t16 it is a third generation twin turbo.....have a look at wikipedia ....search for volvo d5 engine.......it lists all the variants and specs for all three generations of the five cylinder diesel

Sorry, just realised you posted the link anyway....wiki is reliable and up to date tho....

Last edited by Blue693; May 17th, 2012 at 23:58.
Blue693 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue693 For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:31   #4
RDRcontact

Wink

Thanks Blue693,

T16 is indeed the twin turbo version of D5, I've got it confirmed from other sources as well. Interestingly my dealer didn't knew that. They dont have to know all the details...but hey this is quite an important one!
RDRcontact is offline   Reply With Quote