Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl valves replaced now car wont start

Views : 1741

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 27th, 2023, 13:05   #11
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Next I would try to manually move the VNT to see if it is sticky... Unfortunately that's very difficult to do without some dismantling.

This video shows it in operation : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by-ZZxqqmgE

Check also for any other errors, especially temperature sensors etc. there are a few hidden limp modes on the D5 where you get restricted boost but no MIL lamp.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2023, 13:59   #12
andythepandy

Cheers Tannaton for the advice. I've been with the car today and made some progress, I'll have a look at the VNT tomorrow when I get a chance

So I managed to do a DPF regen today which got rid of the soot filter message and got the car out of limp mode. I then cleared all the fault codes and went for a spin to see what kicked up again. The car seemed to run absolutely fine and it had boost again! Joy!

However when I got back the codes it flagged up were as follows:
ECM-1517 turbo control - pressure too high
ECM -1540 turbo control -pressure too high
ECM-7700 incorrect check sum

amongst the various other passenger compartment temp signal issues etc

I have also noticed that the idle is not smooth and feels as if its almost misfiring and when I turn the ignition off it very abruptly stops.

Could this be an issues with the injectors again? or something else thats hiding?
When I take it for a spin again what values would it be worth graphing on VIDA?
andythepandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2023, 12:56   #13
andythepandy

Spent a bit of time on the old girl today and checked a few more things

I removed the injectors that were replaced and double checked that the channels were clear of crap as they were leaking slightly. After replacing them I ran the engine and sprayed around them with a little WD-40 to see that most of them were still leaking a little. I think I'll order a new fitting kit of them as I reused the clamps but used new washers and I read somewhere that the clamps need to be replaced.

I removed the electronic actuator (which looked to be almost new) and was happy to see that the actuator arms moves very freely, so hopefully not VNT.

I inspected the intake system and couldn't see anymore leaks so thought I would take it for a quick spin. After giving it a bit of throttle the Engine System service required came back on and the car lost all boost.

I am running out of things to check short of replacing the whole induction system or removing the turbo to see if one of the bearings is wrecked or something.
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 13:28   #14
andythepandy

Won't be able to do anymore testing after today for a week or so as I've got work but I managed to do a smoke test today on the intake system and there are no leaks I can see at all. I might do it again when I get the chance just to double check but that hopefully rules out any air leaks

To me it seems like the issue must be a dodgy sensor somewhere (less likely as most have been replaced but not entirely possible) or its something like the turbo actuator. Yesterday I had a look at the actuator without opening it and the uni looked ok. Plus i started the car multiple times to see if the actuator would move on startup which it did. The only thing I can't see is if it moves during driving.

Are there anyways I can pull the unit off and bench test it?
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 16:38   #15
Simmy
Premier Member

were the injectors that got changed the same class if you have vida diagnose each fault code individually dont forget to use the advanced tab,
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 10:29   #16
andythepandy

Hi Simmy

I forgot to mention its a Euro 4 so I don't think it has injector classes does it?
I made sure to mate the part numbers exactly with the previous injectors. Is there a need to re-code the ECM with the new injector codes at all?

As an update I think I may have found the culprit. I took the electronic actuator off the car and opened it up and it look like there is some damage to the board. Also looks as if someone has tried to fix it too. I'm pretty certain this is the issue and would fit with all the symptoms

Will send it off for testing but I'm half tempted to order a new one anyway as this looks damaged now. Will get back with the results as soon as
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20240103_102109583.jpg (191.1 KB, 33 views)
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 05:06   #17
Symes
Master Member

The pic is a little blury but I think it looks like there might be a dry joint on the 'case side' pad of what looks like an earlier repair.

As you have the unit off and dismantled, you might find you can clean it up and make good by running a soldering iron over it. Remove any residual flux with isopropol alcohol and seal the surfaces with a bit of clear lacquer.
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 15:46   #18
andythepandy

Angry

Hi Symes

Thanks for the advice. I whipped the unit off the other day and I'll have a go at fixing it when I get a moment. For the time being I've borrowed a mate's D5 to run around in and 'borrowed' the electronic actuator off his to see if that was the issue. It ran absolutely fine and was a lot more responsive than before but after letting the car sit for a bit and taking it for another run I had the same bloody 'Engine System Service' message come on when accelerating up a hill on the way back.

After getting back I did some readings and saw that the MAF was constantly over reading. I decided to bite the bullet (AGAIN) and buy a new MAF unit. I've taken her out for a test drive again and can't get the code to replicate again. She's feels a little sluggish but I'm not sure if that's because I haven't driven her for a while.

I also stuck the reader on her again and got these codes
ECM-7700
CEM-1F00
The MAF still seems to be running slightly high at idle at around 520mg/s as opposed to the 450 Volvo recommend.

I have attached the frozen readings if someone could help me decipher what they are saying as I'm not entirely sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20240110_134941797.jpg (128.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20240110_133922191.jpg (142.2 KB, 6 views)
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 17:35   #19
Simmy
Premier Member

has the car had a re map? it seems like this is not a recent problem as the fault code counter is reading 255
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 17:40   #20
andythepandy

I've not had it remapped and the previous owner didn't say it had been.
I'm starting to thing it might have too. Any ways I can check on Vida?

Tags
diesel, swirl flaps, wont start, xc90