Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Downsizing Brake Disc & Pad Size P2 S60 2.0T S

Views : 839

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2022, 11:02   #1
bigshorty48

Default Downsizing Brake Disc & Pad Size P2 S60 2.0T S

Hi Guys

Just wondering if someone can give me some advice on downsizing my brake discs and pads on my 2004 S60 2.0T S.

I bought a spares and repairs S60 2.4 D5 that I've been using to swap mainly bodywork and interior parts over to my 2.0T S. The D5 runs on 16" wheels and has 286mm discs fitted. The discs and pads are almost new and I was hoping to swap them over for my well used discs and pads on my 2.0T S on 17" wheels, however that has 305mm discs fitted.

Is it possible to swap the discs and pads around, or should I buy like for like for my 2.0T S?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
bigshorty48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2022, 14:31   #2
CricketyJimin

There's nothing to stop you from doing that, you just need to swap over the brackets that hold the calipers from your donor car as well.

You might find you prefer the braking performance/feel of the bigger discs though.
CricketyJimin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CricketyJimin For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2022, 03:50   #3
bigshorty48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CricketyJimin View Post
You might find you prefer the braking performance/feel of the bigger discs though.
Cheers for the reply

So it’s just the carriers that only need to be swapped over to support the 286mm discs and pads, is that correct?

Do you think there would be a large, noticeable drop in performance? I’m not a fast driver, much prefer a pleasant cruise to get where I’m going, plus like to eco drive and see how good I can get my mpg up to.
Old May 21st, 2022, 07:54   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

It is up to you but I think given the cost of pattern parts of good quality (Pagid, Brembo etc) that correct size discs and pads would be under £100,00. Then you retain the correct size.

I would not downsize at all no.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2022, 08:11   #5
bigshorty48

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
It is up to you but I think given the cost of pattern parts of good quality (Pagid, Brembo etc) that correct size discs and pads would be under £100,00. Then you retain the correct size.

I would not downsize at all no.
You must have read my mind cause for the last 10 minutes or so I've been thinking the exact same, I don't think it's worth the risk or effort.

Cheers for the comment, I just needed someone to set my mind straight!
Old May 21st, 2022, 09:08   #6
bigshorty48

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
It is up to you but I think given the cost of pattern parts of good quality (Pagid, Brembo etc) that correct size discs and pads would be under £100,00.
Any ideas where the best place to get good quality, well priced discs and pads are? Can't seem to find a set of discs and pads by Pagid, Brembo, etc for under £100,00. Can get Ridex, Eicher, Drivetec ones for under £100 but would prefer a more renowned make, unless the ones I've mentioned are good enough.
Old May 21st, 2022, 09:25   #7
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

You won't get Brembo under 100 unless you've got some serious trade supply contacts or something

My Brembo fronts + pads were just under 200 (Inc a bottle of brake fluid)

Pagid are alright though I think, used them before on a number of cars

Am I right in thinking ATE are the oem?

I wouldn't skimp on brakes though , if you do drive carefully like you say they'll last pretty much forever anyway

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; May 21st, 2022 at 09:30.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2022, 11:09   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshorty48 View Post
Any ideas where the best place to get good quality, well priced discs and pads are? Can't seem to find a set of discs and pads by Pagid, Brembo, etc for under £100,00. Can get Ridex, Eicher, Drivetec ones for under £100 but would prefer a more renowned make, unless the ones I've mentioned are good enough.
I usually look at Euro Car Parts, however I generally (personally) go to Volvo, ask for a discount then buy from them due to quality.

ATE, Eicher, etc etc all make good parts.
Old May 21st, 2022, 11:24   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshorty48 View Post
You must have read my mind cause for the last 10 minutes or so I've been thinking the exact same, I don't think it's worth the risk or effort.

Cheers for the comment, I just needed someone to set my mind straight!
Its also very unwise and would invalidate your insurance , They are bigger brakes for a reason ...
Old May 21st, 2022, 14:34   #10
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
You won't get Brembo under 100 unless you've got some serious trade supply contacts or something

My Brembo fronts + pads were just under 200 (Inc a bottle of brake fluid)

Pagid are alright though I think, used them before on a number of cars

Am I right in thinking ATE are the oem?

I wouldn't skimp on brakes though , if you do drive carefully like you say they'll last pretty much forever anyway
I paid less than that for genuine Volvo on my huge XC90. I have just changed the pads after almost 60,000 miles. Volvo can be very good quality and price.