Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 T8 new owner, some questions

Views : 1508

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2023, 10:37   #1
JonboyP

Default V90 T8 new owner, some questions

Hello,

I have just acquired a rather nice 2019 V90 T8. Having had it for a week or so, I have the following questions/issues:

1. Playing music through USB. I have put some tunes from my collection on a USB drive and plugged it in. The music is visible and plays, but the system seems not to be respecting or reading the MP3 tags, as such if I move to 'album' display each track is listed individually, rather than being grouped into albums. The MP3 files are correctly tagged, and display as they should in other apps. What's the score here please?

Edit: it seems to work okay with actual albums, but compilations of 'various artists' which are all tagged with the same album name and the compilation tag set to 1 (i.e. tagged as a compliation) are not being correctly grouped.

2. The wifi seems terribly fragile. Some days it will connect to my phones hotspot, some days it won't even detect it despite no changes to settings. What gives? I already know it will only work with AES encryption.

3. I used the app to turn off a preconditioning timer (every day, departure at 0615hrs), however the car still pre-conditioned and managed to drain the hybrid battery. When I got in the car the timer was still set and active, despite me turning the timer off in the app. This isn't expected behaviour, is it?

4. My previous car was an old deisel Vectra. I did all of the servicing and some engine/suspension maintenance myself (timing belt, alternator, fuel pump among others). How much work can I realistically do myself on the V90 T8?

Cheers
Jon

Last edited by JonboyP; Apr 6th, 2023 at 11:20.
JonboyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 15:05   #2
OldEngineer

Following
1 is well known and you have to have the USB showing Playlists in a flat file. We use sPlaylistMaker
3 Looks like you have the previous owner still affecting. So go through a reset to boot them off.
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 15:33   #3
JonboyP

I'll check out the playlist thing, thanks for that.

I have already removed the previous accounts from the system.

Cheers
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 15:34   #4
rhd443

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonboyP View Post
Hello,

I have just acquired a rather nice 2019 V90 T8. Having had it for a week or so, I have the following questions/issues:

1. Playing music through USB. I have put some tunes from my collection on a USB drive and plugged it in. The music is visible and plays, but the system seems not to be respecting or reading the MP3 tags, as such if I move to 'album' display each track is listed individually, rather than being grouped into albums. The MP3 files are correctly tagged, and display as they should in other apps. What's the score here please?

Edit: it seems to work okay with actual albums, but compilations of 'various artists' which are all tagged with the same album name and the compilation tag set to 1 (i.e. tagged as a compliation) are not being correctly grouped.

2. The wifi seems terribly fragile. Some days it will connect to my phones hotspot, some days it won't even detect it despite no changes to settings. What gives? I already know it will only work with AES encryption.

3. I used the app to turn off a preconditioning timer (every day, departure at 0615hrs), however the car still pre-conditioned and managed to drain the hybrid battery. When I got in the car the timer was still set and active, despite me turning the timer off in the app. This isn't expected behaviour, is it?

4. My previous car was an old deisel Vectra. I did all of the servicing and some engine/suspension maintenance myself (timing belt, alternator, fuel pump among others). How much work can I realistically do myself on the V90 T8?

Cheers
Jon
Precondition on the age of T8 you have will not have drained the hybrid battery, it starts a fuel fired heater and uses very little battery to do the job in winter. It certainly doesn't drain it empty!

Item 4, I would say very little yourself, but I've seen the start of posts here for 2017/2018 year cars where people are attempting to do things themselves, then realising it's caused problems later down the line, i.e. brake pads and electronic handbrake faults afterwards, even taking your front bumper off disturbs the radar, but in theory this isn't a vauxhall, and you shouldnt be needing to do any of those items you list.

Timing belt has a very long life on these engines.

Enjoy it!
rhd443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 15:36   #5
JonboyP

On the pre-conditioning, I wonder if it just didn't charge properly from the previous day? As you say, the hybrid battery should not have been affected by pre-conditioning running.

Still learning. Thanks!
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 19:29   #6
rhd443

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonboyP View Post
On the pre-conditioning, I wonder if it just didn't charge properly from the previous day? As you say, the hybrid battery should not have been affected by pre-conditioning running.

Still learning. Thanks!
That's a total possibility! In summer it uses a bit of charge to run the AC system to cool the car (again same precondition feature) but AC can't run on fuel. You will love getting into a warm car/freezing cold car on a cold/hot day 😊

Its especially funny when you see people scraping the car in a works car park in winter evenings and you just put your coat in the boot, jump in, and drive off
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 05:50   #7
JonboyP

Here's another one then.

I've been driving in pure mode all week, just to work and back. My petrol is starting to tick down. I think it might be the fuel-fired heater turning on.

My temp is set to 18 and fan on 1. How do I just have fan, with no heating or cooling?
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 07:42   #8
siebek

In the car settings you need to turn off the additional heater:
https://www.volvocars.com/en-jo/supp...a8015126d2faa5
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 08:37   #9
rhd443

You could try turning the fuel fired heater off in sensus, I think it's called additional heater.

But to be honest, just enjoy leaving it ticked as it means almost instant heat, if you untick it. On a cold day you will have to wait for things to warm up like an older style car before any cabin heat comes through.

The above will happen if you let your low fuel light come on too, the aux heater stops working and you need engine running to get heat.
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 12:34   #10
JonboyP

Perfect, thanks both.

Does un-ticking this box affect pre-conditioning also? I wouldn't want the engine running to achieve temperature while we're in the warmer months.

Last edited by JonboyP; Apr 7th, 2023 at 13:12.