Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New member- a few questions!

Views : 507

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 20:34   #1
bigwinn1975

Default New member- a few questions!

Evening

New to the forum and to Volvo!

100% BMW but as the other half has coveted an XC60 I've had to comply!

Picked up a 2010 XC60 D5 today- impressed so far.

Anyone help with the following I'd be grateful for any pointers:

Power steering is poor at low revs- I think the pump is on the way out. Best place to buy a new one and assume its an easy job to do on the drive?

iPhone connectivity- phone connects but can't play music, even when connecting via cable to USB- is it possible to play music via connected devices?

The rear view mirror is on upside down (!!)- how hard is that to disconnect and put the right way up

Internal trim pieces- any recommendations of where to buy new/used trim from?

Thanks in advance- will try to be a good forum member!

Stuart
bigwinn1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 00:09   #2
Deck1ng
Master Member

There is a short UTube film covering “replacing/ re- attaching rear view mirror in volvo.
It required the removal of the plastic cover behind the mirror(3 pieces). Using a twisting motion to seat the mirror in place.

As for trim, the likes of EBay are bursting with the stuff, most bits, most models and years.

Last edited by Deck1ng; Apr 4th, 2021 at 00:50.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deck1ng For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 00:36   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwinn1975 View Post

Power steering is poor at low revs- I think the pump is on the way out. Best place to buy a new one and assume its an easy job to do on the drive?

Thanks in advance- will try to be a good forum member!

Stuart
First question, have you checked the belt tension? Second, the fluid level? Third, is the fluid dirty? Fourthly, although i've not driven any modern Volvos, all those i've known/driven/owned before had heavier than normal PAS at low speed, not just low revs - a Volvo characteristic. Whether the modern stuff reflects that or not i'm not sure but takes some getting used to after my other beast that i can steer while parking with my little finger.

Assuming the belt is tight enough and the PAS fluid level is correct, is it old/dirty fluid? Chances are the answer is yes.

Get a turkey baster (or better still a 200ml syringe or similar size), an empty white platic tub (empty Pot Noodle tubs are ideal) and suck the contents of the PAS reservoir out using the baster/syringe. Discharge into the white pot.

Refill with PAS fluid to the top level, start the engine and slowly turn the steering from lock to lock several times to bleed the system. Top up if needed after.

Repeat this weekly (assuming at least 100 miles a week but probably more like 2-300) for 3-4 weeks or until the fluid in the reservoir remains clean.

You will be able to tell if it's clean because when you look into the white pot once the discharged fluid has settled, any sediment will sink to the bottom and be visible. Also the fluid should look brighter and cleaner and "feel" smoother.

This will almost certainly improve matters and may well solve the problem, however bearing in mind my comments about the older Volvos and the fact this may just be how they're designed (all BMWs i've driven with PAS have been very light until up to a certain speed) and are intrinsically heavier than your old BMW was.

Oh yeah - nearly forgot - welcome aboard!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 07:46   #4
cam
Premier Member

Smile

Hi mate and welcome.
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 08:30   #5
bigwinn1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
First question, have you checked the belt tension? Second, the fluid level? Third, is the fluid dirty? Fourthly, although i've not driven any modern Volvos, all those i've known/driven/owned before had heavier than normal PAS at low speed, not just low revs - a Volvo characteristic. Whether the modern stuff reflects that or not i'm not sure but takes some getting used to after my other beast that i can steer while parking with my little finger.

Assuming the belt is tight enough and the PAS fluid level is correct, is it old/dirty fluid? Chances are the answer is yes.

Get a turkey baster (or better still a 200ml syringe or similar size), an empty white platic tub (empty Pot Noodle tubs are ideal) and suck the contents of the PAS reservoir out using the baster/syringe. Discharge into the white pot.

Refill with PAS fluid to the top level, start the engine and slowly turn the steering from lock to lock several times to bleed the system. Top up if needed after.

Repeat this weekly (assuming at least 100 miles a week but probably more like 2-300) for 3-4 weeks or until the fluid in the reservoir remains clean.

You will be able to tell if it's clean because when you look into the white pot once the discharged fluid has settled, any sediment will sink to the bottom and be visible. Also the fluid should look brighter and cleaner and "feel" smoother.

This will almost certainly improve matters and may well solve the problem, however bearing in mind my comments about the older Volvos and the fact this may just be how they're designed (all BMWs i've driven with PAS have been very light until up to a certain speed) and are intrinsically heavier than your old BMW was.

Oh yeah - nearly forgot - welcome aboard!
Sage advice- thank you!
bigwinn1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigwinn1975 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 08:37   #6
bomberfr0g

If doing the PAS fluid make sure you have the right green stuff, if its a weird colour then someone may have added dexron to it in error
bomberfr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bomberfr0g For This Useful Post: