Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Serious problem with V50!! Suspected snapped timing belt!!

Views : 5152

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2014, 12:30   #1
bremner27

Default Serious problem with V50!! Suspected snapped timing belt!!

Hi all,

Was travelling home last night doing a steady 50 on a dual carriageway and then lost all drive! just before the loss of drive the oil warning light flashed up, then every single warning light on the dash flashed up then no warning lights, it still had head lights etc just the engine had cut out. I tried to restart the engine but was greeted with the lovely noises you can hear in the youtube video below, theres a loud noise after you try to start it that sounds very unhealthy that you can hear at the end of the vid.

Just about managed to get off the road and pulled up on a slip road, I tried to restart the engine but was greeted with the lovely noises below in the youtube video. While I waited for recovery, I had a quick look around under the bonnet and under the car, no signs of leaking fluids or anything out of the ordinary.

The recovery driver was 100% of a snapped cam/timing belt so just towed us home. The belt was done at 77k and the car is just coming up to 90k now. It was about eleven by the time I got home so went to bed and had a better look this morning, I first removed the timing belt cover and the belt looks in good condition and is nice and taught, but when I looked at the pulley while somebody else turned the key it looks wobbly!

I took a small vid and posted it on youtube has anybody seen anything like this before and could tell me what caused it and how I might go about fixing it that hopefully doesn't involve taking it to a garage.

Any help is appreciated, cheers guys.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
bremner27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 12:33   #2
bremner27

Forgot to add I read the codes using my dice unit but nothing I can see relates to this fault just general electrical faults and the software fault I've had since my DPF was deleted.

Cheers.

Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 11.33.26.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 11.33.41.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 11.33.54.png
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 15:21   #3
nbuuifx

I'm no expert but have seen a couple of related issues in the past.

Is the pulley loose? Can you move it by hand?

My uncle had a problem with a v70 where the key wore between the pulley and the crankshaft. This made a wobble and the timing went out - wasn't too bad to fix but his didn't sound as bad as yours.

On a different engine I have known the crankshaft to snap, that caused a big wobble!

Only other thing I can think is if the main bearing at the end of the crankshaft has collapsed.

As I say I'm no expert and would be asking on here if I had that problem! Maybe a few things to start looking into/researching whilst you wait for any other answers?
nbuuifx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 16:00   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuuifx View Post
I'm no expert but have seen a couple of related issues in the past.

Is the pulley loose? Can you move it by hand?

My uncle had a problem with a v70 where the key wore between the pulley and the crankshaft. This made a wobble and the timing went out - wasn't too bad to fix but his didn't sound as bad as yours.

On a different engine I have known the crankshaft to snap, that caused a big wobble!

Only other thing I can think is if the main bearing at the end of the crankshaft has collapsed.

As I say I'm no expert and would be asking on here if I had that problem! Maybe a few things to start looking into/researching whilst you wait for any other answers?
the camshaft is bent , something catastrophic has failed with the valve gear , you need to get the cam cover off and have a look .... hopefully the worst is a new head .
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 18:45   #5
Hoochienoballs

Does the alternator turn freely? Just had one seize on a Saxo and it stripped the timing belt of a few teeth when it stopped the crank for a second.
Hoochienoballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 19:29   #6
bremner27

Thanks for the replies lads, to be honest I've spent all day just staring at it and feeling sorry for myself but I'm going to get cracking tomorrow night and start to strip it all down when my brothers around he knows more about engines than me.

I'll keep posting my findings as I'm getting deeper into it, again thanks for the suggestions.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 20:20   #7
steve m

1/ timing belt is in one piece

2/ cam has some play but all the wobble is the pulley not the shaft , but check it I might be wrong

3/ last time I heard a sound like that was a starter motor spinning on the flywheel - take out and re seat

4/ with all those codes its gotta be electrical, has the starter gone open circuit ??
steve m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 21:47   #8
bremner27

Pretty productive day, got down to the cam shaft but don't want to turn the engine over by hand want to wait until we split the block and have a look at the valves, only problem is that we can't fathom how to remove the bloody EGR cooler. Does anybody have any advice how to remove it?
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 22:32   #9
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Here is the instructions from VIDA:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (44.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (38.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (40.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.jpg (56.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Capture4.jpg (40.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Capture5.jpg (37.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Capture6.jpg (28.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Capture7.jpg (42.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by SonyVaio; Jun 9th, 2014 at 22:41.
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 17:37   #10
bremner27

Thanks for the guide sony, I looked on my copy of vida but I just can't get to grips with it, cheers.