Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Jacking points and front pads - a little advise please!

Views : 843

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2009, 08:14   #1
charliejohn

Default Jacking points and front pads - a little advise please!

So after having confirmed what I thought, that my brakes were little more than a few metal objects rubbing each other up, I decided to save myself a packet and replace them myself. Many thanks to Simon @ FRF Swansea for good price and quick delivery on parts (highly recommended!). So yesterday I replaced the front pads and for those reading who have never done that before, I too was a brake pad changing virgin till yesterday and was suprised how simple the job was.... Anyway, a couple of queries:

1) I have replaced the front pads and cant see I have gone wrong anywhere in the process albeit the new pads with all their new thick braking surface seem to rub, just very slightly on the discs (only a tiny bit, nothing major!). I pushed the piston widget right back which was required anyway to get the pads in. Is this normal? Should I just wait more than a few miles?!

also

2) Using only the standard jack there is only one secure place for it on either side of the car right in the middle between the wheels. Is there a point for jacking up the front only or the rear only rather than either side at a time? I only have the standard jack or a spare scissor jack and two axle stands.

Thank you to anybody with useful advise!

Various mods blah blah blah
charliejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 08:21   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Best advice I can give you is to invest in a trolley jack.

They are not that expensive and will make work much safer and easier.

Regards the pads rubbing, this is normal.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 09:17   #3
charliejohn

Chris
I thought maybe I should buy a trolley jack on my last trip to Halfords when I bought the axle stands! Another question for you though; my drive has a very slight incline, not much, just enough so water runs down to the drain (ie: not a 1 in 3 hill!). Everything was ok yesterday with the jack and axle stands, I chocked the other side wheels well and all was very stable. With a trolley jack, car parked front facing slightly down hill and i need to lift the rear, obviously i'll chock the front wheels and leave auto box in "park" but will the jack with its little wheels want to slide away when lifting or do you think the car weight will keep it secure? Suppose I could chock the trolley jack too! Also where would I position it to lift the rear of the car?
Many thanks for your advise.
Cheers
Matt

Various mods blah blah blah
charliejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 09:26   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

a good rear jacking piont is the vertical suspension bolt which you see when looking under the car just in front of the rear wheel ...
At the front you can use that triangular bracket to the rear of the front wheel with a solid subframe bolt through it and two smaller bolts OR anywhere on the substantial subframe , unlike renaults for example where even a light clio will bend its subframe if you jack it up!
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 09:34   #5
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliejohn View Post
Chris
I thought maybe I should buy a trolley jack on my last trip to Halfords when I bought the axle stands! Another question for you though; my drive has a very slight incline, not much, just enough so water runs down to the drain (ie: not a 1 in 3 hill!). Everything was ok yesterday with the jack and axle stands, I chocked the other side wheels well and all was very stable. With a trolley jack, car parked front facing slightly down hill and i need to lift the rear, obviously i'll chock the front wheels and leave auto box in "park" but will the jack with its little wheels want to slide away when lifting or do you think the car weight will keep it secure? Suppose I could chock the trolley jack too! Also where would I position it to lift the rear of the car?
Many thanks for your advise.
Cheers
Matt

The trolley jack needs to move on the ground as you raise the car to keep the lift in line as the car moves on the suspension, otherwise the jack can slip off the lifting point.
You will need to experiment as you lift the car, you will work out by experience which way the jack moves. Sometimes, to get a high lift, it's better to do it in two bites this will limit the amount the jack has to move on the ground. Use the stand(s) to support the car while you reposition the jack for the second lift.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote