Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

tyre repair

Views : 6309

Replies : 105

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2012, 19:03   #1
blackrevolver
Premier Member

Default tyre repair

national tyres wouldnt repair my tyre, it had two punctures, holes were about 15 inches between each other, in the tread, one with a nail, with with plastic.......who repairs tyres with two punctures? do i have to go to a backstreet garage?
blackrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 20:21   #2
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrevolver View Post
national tyres wouldnt repair my tyre, it had two punctures, holes were about 15 inches between each other, in the tread, one with a nail, with with plastic.......who repairs tyres with two punctures? do i have to go to a backstreet garage?
You could go to back street tyre fitter but there is a reason why tyre manufactuers do not recomend having mutiple puncture repairs and its not so they can make you buy another tyre, its something to do with safety.

For the sake of keeping your car on the road and car shaped buy a new tyre.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 20:22   #3
blackrevolver
Premier Member

I knew that sounded bad lol i meant as i thought a tyre could be repaired using the plug/patch method at a max of 3 times and there is nothing wrong with two punctures? im not gonna get it done if its not safe as i wanted the tyre repaired as a backup spare for short low speed joruneys.

Last edited by blackrevolver; Mar 25th, 2012 at 20:25.
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 20:25   #4
Rick Barton
Master Member

I remember seeing a demo tyre in a fast fit place repaired dozens of times in the tread. At the time, it was said that as long as the puncture isn't in the shoulder or sidwall many repairs are possible. How can one repair affect another one 15" away?
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 20:27   #5
blackrevolver
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Barton View Post
I remember seeing a demo tyre in a fast fit place repaired dozens of times in the tread. At the time, it was said that as long as the puncture isn't in the shoulder or sidwall many repairs are possible. How can one repair affect another one 15" away?
well thats what i thought but he said they wont do it! even tho the tread was legal and within the tread and the holes were from a nail and a small bit of plastic.
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 20:30   #6
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Did they say specifically why they wouldn't do it? There's quite a few regs about what's OK or not. I've had tyres patched before and it is possible to mend quite large holes in some circumstances, also had an inner tube put in by a backstreet boy in the distant past. But I think you, me and Marty are agreed that if in doubt safety beats economy any time.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 20:39   #7
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

I don't know for sure but my understanding is that it is to do with the structure of the tyre make up (the way the ply is laid within the rubber) and having too many holes or holes within a certain area can weaken the internal structure and cause the tread to seperate from the tyre.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty Dolomite For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 23:59   #8
jayeastanglia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Dolomite View Post
I don't know for sure but my understanding is that it is to do with the structure of the tyre make up (the way the ply is laid within the rubber) and having too many holes or holes within a certain area can weaken the internal structure and cause the tread to seperate from the tyre.
and thats correct which is why most recommend(notice i say recommend) to not repair more than 2 punctures with 15inch of each other and also only on the centre band of the tyre usually that means as long as the repair isnt closer than a inch from the sidewall..
A tube should never be put in a tubeless tyre either as the tube can rub on the inside of the tyre..
jayeastanglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 00:33   #9
blackrevolver
Premier Member

I guessed about the 15 inch part, i must be good at guessing lengths!
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 09:18   #10
xc70jason
Premier Member

You could always do the job yourself,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-T...2749664&sr=8-1
A good piece of kit too keep in the boot,i think i'll get one myself.
Jason
xc70jason is offline   Reply With Quote