Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 wanted

Views : 816

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 17:07   #1
capt jack
VOC Member

Smile 240 wanted

OK, so after much deliberation I’ve finally decided upon a new project, following the departure of my ES to sunnier shores.

I’ve thought about Amazons, 140s, 160s, 480s and 240s, and after a most enjoyable visit to Bolton Abbey at the weekend, and I have to say much influenced by Steve and Thor, I’m most definitely on the look-out for a 240.

Can anyone on here oblige?

Musts are that the car is basically mechanically sound, with no major rust issues, has a current MoT and is road-legal and driveable.

I’ve a preference for a saloon, and an automatic gearbox, ideally with the 2.3 engine.

As for colour it’s either a white or mid-blue, but most definitely non-metallic, and not red or green. All models and possibilities considered, with a leaning away from the GLT as I’d like a bit of shiny chrome to polish! Proper hub caps rather than plastic trims would be nice too! Leather would be fabulous!

Scruffy and tired not objected too, and mileage isn’t of any concern.

Sensible immediate cash available, and as I’m based ‘oop-North’ a local-ish car would be preferred.

Please feel free to PM if you know of any suitable candidates – a nice comfortable garage and lots of TLC await!

Thanks

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 17:44   #2
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

I'll be on the lookout Jack - glad to think me and my car influenced you, even with the duct tape rear wings!!

You say leather would be fabulous yet you dont want a GLT - this limits you to either a GLE or a car that has had leather retro-fitted.

I take it youve had a look at the 200 series for sale section? Even ad's that have been up a long time - some are likely to still be up for sale, especially the older "inherited" ones sat dusty in a garage.

Steve
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve and his 244 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 20:00   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

Thanks Steve - I hadn't thought to look through old ads - good idea.

When no1 daughter has finished with Facebook I'll see if I can have a browse!

A leather interior would be nice, but not immediately essential. Most important issues are sound mechanics, reasonable bodywork, autobox and MoT.

Thor looked great on Sunday - even with the 'distinctive' rear mods!

Cheers

Jack
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 23:08   #4
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Jack - what about this one? Its one that stuck in my memory - its an early big bumper model, basically a Thor twin but in yellow. Will have that classic car carburetted feel, still plenty of metal to polish compared to the newer 240s, and an engine bay that has so many polishable bits!!

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=76800

Obviously I have thir email address should you need to contact them...

Steve
Quote:
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 18:06   #5
capt jack
VOC Member

Steve, Thanks for that. It looks pretty good! It's on Car and Classic, with dealer in Kent, but no price is given. My guess is that he'll sit on it a bit and see what happens. I'll drop 'em an e-mail and ask!

Do you reckon a mileage that low is good or bad? It must have been sat doing nothing for years - which ain't always good news!

There are a couple of others (manuals) of similar age around, with price tags of £2k or so, which I reckon is just too much. I'd have thought between £400 for a runner and perhaps £1000 for a stunner would be about right. What do you reckon?

I have seen one that is promising but with a bit of tin worm around the rear arches. What do you reckon I should budget to get new arches fitted and painted? I can do most things but welding isn't one of them!

As I found when I bought Monica, it can be a bit frustrating but it pays to hold on to your wallet until you know you've got the right car - it will come along in time!

I haven't completely ruled out a 164, but good ones are akin to hens teeth it seems!

Thanks again for taking an interest.

Cheers

Jack
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 19:29   #6
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Jack, its a difficult one that is - Low mileage will mean things like seats etc and general engine wear will be less, so lots more potential I would say and generally better than a high mileage car. The ony thing I see as a problem is as I have found with my car - rubber seals (Dont you just love 'em?!) perishing etc. I suppose seizing brakes might also be an issue. You'd have to be unlucky for it to be a money pit i'd say, but itll more than likely need the odd thing, especially brake work.

Id say you prices are maybe a little low, especially if were talking about the early big bumper models that are getting quite rare now - Id say more like £600 or £700 for a runner/half decent one, and more like £1200 - £1500 for a show car. Bargains are to be had though....

Not sure on the arches - I would have thought youd be looking at maybe £250 ish? But that is purely a guess so dont quote me on that.

Steve
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve and his 244 For This Useful Post: