Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo failure

Views : 1479

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2023, 12:01   #1
mrchrisr

Default Turbo failure

Sorry about the ramble....

My previous post was about a small oil leak on my 2016 xc90 - this ended up being a crack in the block behind the gearbox which cost a total of nearly £7,000 after Volvo gave 10% towards the cost of a new short block.

1 week after this repair the car wouldn't start one morning and was recovered back to the dealer. They couldn't find an issue and all was good for a couple of days when it lost power while driving. After going back to the dealer 4/5 times they eventually found a wire going to a fuse box which looked alright but failed some kind of pull test. They remade this wire and didn't charge me. Since then it has run well....

Maybe a month later the steering rack started making a nice binding noise and eventually failed. This would have been nearly £2,000 from Volvo I think - but i found one from a breaker and my local garage swapped the original motor over to the good rack and ended up costing about £300.

After having the block replaced it would occasionally make a screeching noise for the first minute or 2 after starting (only when driving). The dealer felt it could be the turbo after possibly being starved of oil earlier in its life when it had the oil leak. The noise soon went away for a few weeks and then when i was driving last month the turbo failed. At present my local garage has taken the high pressure turbo off and found that the turbine wheel has completely disintegrated and mostly vanished. Part of it has bent/jammed the variable vane part and the rest is nowhere to be seen.

Questions - Where are these broken parts likely to have gone? Exhaust/engine/other turbo? They haven't had chance to take off the low pressure turbo to check that yet - could it have destroyed that as well?

A set of turbos from the dealer are about £2500. I have found a turbo cartridge for about £160 .... but can't find the variable vane part. Does anyone know if this is available anywhere? Volvo only want to provide the full turbo setup.

For reference the engine is a D4204T11
The high pressure turbo is a 31441451/36010079
Borgwarner part number 16389700015

Last question - when did Volvo go from being really reliable cars to voted the most unreliable car?
mrchrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 14:25   #2
Mad Malc

Sadly as far as I can tell there is only 'one way out' after the induction system and that is via the exhaust!!! Sorry, you seem to have been very unfortunate with your Volvo experience.

VW appear to have had some trouble in this are with turbos wrecking engines as it appears they find it hard to process pieces of metal without some sort of 'damage'!!
Mad Malc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2023, 21:19   #3
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

The broken bits will more than likely be in the intercooler. Have this removed and checked. You do not want any debris in the intake as this will be curtains for your new engine.

The low pressure turbo is next down the line from the smaller high pressure turbo. Chances are it will also be in need of replacement. But with this sort of failure you have to ensure you find all the bits.

You have been unlucky but I can’t help think some of the issues may have stemmed from the initial process of engine removal and replacement

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Jul 27th, 2023 at 21:25.
GrahamBrown1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2023, 06:58   #4
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
The broken bits will more than likely be in the intercooler. Have this removed and checked. You do not want any debris in the intake as this will be curtains for your new engine.

The low pressure turbo is next down the line from the smaller high pressure turbo. Chances are it will also be in need of replacement. But with this sort of failure you have to ensure you find all the bits.

You have been unlucky but I can’t help think some of the issues may have stemmed from the initial process of engine removal and replacement
Hi Graham, the OP mentions that it was the Turbine wheel that had disintegrated (i.e. exhaust/hot side), not the compressor wheel. As such, the debris is very unlikely to make it anywhere near the intercooler as that is on the intake side, not the exhaust.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 20:51   #5
autorev

Sadly my experience with volvo is somewhat similar.
Failed head gasket cracked a cylinder with new shirts block replacement at £7300.
5 months later, turbo, inter cooler and whole engine trashed - this time they are looking for £18k to fix.
Claiming duff injectors caused the problem but not accepting liability…
autorev is offline   Reply With Quote