Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2017 XC90 Headlight/headlamp part number help!

Views : 1491

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2022, 20:43   #1
dcxc90

Default 2017 XC90 Headlight/headlamp part number help!

Hi All,

This is my first post and I'm hoping someone can help. I'm in the UK and have a 2017 XC90 R Design (which I love!). It developed condensation in the drivers side headlight a few months after purchase (from a used car dealer). They "repaired it" by clearing the condensation and adding a moisture capturing compound, which lasted a few months. Anyway, long story short, the condensation eventually returned and has now caused the light to become faulty (dipped beam doesn't work).

I have no warranty option, and at circa £1500+ for a brand new replacement, I'm after a used one. Here's where I'm struggling, mine is a Full LED Active High Beam unit, part number 31656991 XC90 LED LHT RHS and to date I've only found 1 of these used, which I missed out on. There seems to be multiple other part numbers for what appears to be the same unit eg. 32228299, 31446883 to name a couple.

My question is, do I need the exact part number that I see on my headlights, or are there various compatible part numbers that are actually the same unit.

I'm struggling to even find the official part number recommended for my vehicle, so any resources you could point me towards to be great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headlight part number.jpg (279.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg headlight condensation.jpg (284.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg full LED active high beam.jpg (286.2 KB, 39 views)
dcxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2022, 09:38   #2
Lexman8
Premier Member

There are at least two variants of the headlamp unit. The £1500+ figure sounds like the cost of the Adaptive headlamp unit which is not to be confused with the Active headlamp unit. Confusingly, the Adaptive units say Active (as shown in your pics) even although they have the additional beam-forming mechanisms inside. Active headlamps are cheaper than Adaptive ones as they are far simpler.

Adaptive headlamps were a paid option and rather than just switch between main and dipped (the Active variant), they alter the shape of (and shift the beams around) the vehicles in front. This is quite obvious when driving at night on an unlit road. Note that Adaptive functionality shouldn't be confused with the Bending lights function which causes the beam to 'follow' the steering wheel. Bending is standard fit with Adaptive but I don't know if Bending is also fitted to non-Adaptive units or was another option.

So I think you need to detemine exactly what type of headlamp unit you have based upon the above. If you got the £1500+ figure from a Volvo dealer based upon the part number on the unit then this is almost certainly the part you need.

Some territories got halogen units but these were never fitted to UK spec XC90s.

Last edited by Lexman8; May 30th, 2022 at 09:43.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2022, 11:01   #3
dcxc90

Lexman8, thanks for your reply. The quote I got was from a Volvo dealer, but just based on me telling them it was a 2017 R-Design, which was before I realised all the variants of headlights. So I'm not convinced they quoted me for the correct ones.

Regarding whether the lights are active, adaptive or bending... I don't often drive on unlit roads, so I haven't gauged that. Even so, I would love to just Google my existing part number and it definitively tell me what it is... but identifying these headlights seems to be a dark art that even the Internet can't clearly answer!

Anyway, I guess the safest option is to go into a dealer and get them to tell me which unit(s) are compatible with the car, then go back to hunting for a used example!
Old May 30th, 2022, 11:41   #4
techwatcher
Master Member

According to the MY17 price list, R-Designs were equipped with Active Bending Headlights with Adaptive Shadow Technology as standard.

Hope you find a suitable replacement at a reasonable cost!
Old May 30th, 2022, 12:51   #5
Lexman8
Premier Member

techwatcher's post reminded me that I probably had a copy of the MY17 price list. I've attached it for you.

Looks like you have Adaptive headlamps and the price quoted is correct.
_
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Volvo-XC90_MY17_Pricelist.pdf (1.19 MB, 10 views)
Old May 30th, 2022, 12:51   #6
soupytwister
Master Member

My big fear of these modern machines....(not just Volvo).

£3000 for a pair of headlights. A bulb used to be £2 down Halfords when your lamp stopped working. Eye watering...

Our 2017 R-Design had the top of the range adaptive shadow mask headlights as standard, so expect yours might be the same. Ouch. They are beautiful lights, but ouch...
Prev : MY19 S60 T5 R-Design First Edition
Prev : MY17 XC90 D5 R-Design

Last edited by soupytwister; May 30th, 2022 at 12:54.
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2022, 15:14   #7
dcxc90

Ouch indeed! Hence me looking for a unit that has come from a breaker. I missed out on one which matched the part number of mine exactly, I negotiated to £450 on eBay with a breaker, paid, then the seller decided to cancel the transaction (no doubt found someone willing to pay more). If I'd known then that I'd never find the same part number again, I would have happily paid more!

Anyway, from your helpful replies, it sounds like it's the Active Bending AST lights I've got.

Now the question is, how can I find what part numbers it's known by. I obviously have the part number of the one in my car, but as you guys have pointed out there's at most 3 variants of headlight for this car, but I've seen many more variations of part number, the Active Bending AST must come in various part numbers.

Is there any magic site/documentation that lists parts down to the actual part number?

The help is much appreciated!
Old May 30th, 2022, 17:08   #8
soupytwister
Master Member

Have you tried the breaker sites that go round multiple breakers for quotes rather than eBay?

Put in part number, will go round breakers around the country. Best try that first with the part number on the headlight in your car. eg breakerlink.com
Prev : MY19 S60 T5 R-Design First Edition
Prev : MY17 XC90 D5 R-Design
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2022, 18:49   #9
dcxc90

Funny you should ask soupytwister! I tried exactly that site... and after 7 days got an email saying nobody has quoted, would you like to resend the request.

So I've resent the request, and still nada! I'll try some other sites though. Seems this headlight 2nd hand, is rarer than unicorn poop!
Old May 30th, 2022, 20:07   #10
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Have you tried these folks:-

https://www.volvobreakers.co.uk/

If you can ring a few times they usually answer and are very helpful.
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote