Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

340 advice needed

Views : 1940

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2011, 10:19   #11
lyron
Premier Member

Talking

lynda and i have had 1.4 and 1.7 had no trouble with any 340s we have had. they were well maintained and gave us no problems at all. as suggested go on to 300 mania, a lot of knowlageable folks on there if you are not sure what you are looking for or at take someone who knows these cars a lot of hidden nastys where you cant see if you do not know where to look. go for the best you can afford and you should have few problems, good luck with your search.

elldis odessey 4 berth tin tent.
lyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 12:23   #12
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harding View Post
Nice to hear your endorsement. But please tell me, what are the symptoms of propshaft failure (or impending failure?)

Cheers
Its the long tube that takes power to the wheels like under a lorry.

On mine you smelt a little burning as you were driving along - and then the next minute you werent driving along !!

On mine it was the rubber bits. Bit of a poor design I suppose although the car was well used and not looked after so others prob would not suffer!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 12:59   #13
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Thanks for this. I noticed on the Heinz manual about various checks to be made to the torque tube, e.g. splines etc. I have never bothered for the reason that it can't be adjusted so I leave it alone rather than risk damaging it.
Joe Harding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 14:00   #14
Chris_C
Gopher

From my experience, the rubber failing on the propshaft is a symptom of a different problem, i.e. something is out of line.

It's been a long time since I properly updated my cars build thread on this forum (I really should) but I had the rubber go on mine last Novemberish, no sign before hand then just lost drive. Thats on a 230,000 ish mile car, the rubber was soft.

I replaced the prob with one from a 15,000mile car which has noticable harder rubber and within 3 weeks she did

Turns out my engine mounts were allowing the tail of the engine to flex (mounted a laser pointed on the output shaft to prove this), old soft rubber dealt with that for a long time, new rubber on the prop but not engine mounts just moved the hinge point to the ali casting.

More pics and stuff about what's been going on here, been meaning to add pics of my new engine mounts too.
http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-u...5953&start=345
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_C For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 11:02   #15
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_C View Post
From my experience, the rubber failing on the propshaft is a symptom of a different problem, i.e. something is out of line.

It's been a long time since I properly updated my cars build thread on this forum (I really should) but I had the rubber go on mine last Novemberish, no sign before hand then just lost drive. Thats on a 230,000 ish mile car, the rubber was soft.

I replaced the prob with one from a 15,000mile car which has noticable harder rubber and within 3 weeks she did

Turns out my engine mounts were allowing the tail of the engine to flex (mounted a laser pointed on the output shaft to prove this), old soft rubber dealt with that for a long time, new rubber on the prop but not engine mounts just moved the hinge point to the ali casting.

More pics and stuff about what's been going on here, been meaning to add pics of my new engine mounts too.
http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-u...5953&start=345
Thanks for that write up Chris.

I always wondered why they kept failing. Maybe something was out of line as you say. The car was hard used though with lots of miles.

Interestingly my car where the props kept going was rear ended twice.Once by a bus and second by a car - no major damage just a squashed bumper and a bit dented behind that.

Crikes it was 25 years ago - time flies

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 11:51   #16
Chris_C
Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Interestingly my car where the props kept going was rear ended twice.Once by a bus and second by a car - no major damage just a squashed bumper and a bit dented behind that.
Makes you wonder... that bit just behind the bumper is where the gearbox is mounted (well, it's on the boot floor so to speak) so that could easily have caused a misalignment.
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote