Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 tyre noise

Views : 6241

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2015, 20:02   #1
Dutchbird

Default XC90 tyre noise

Noticed this on the Swedespeed site , glad to see that I am not the only one who has a problem with the excessieve tyre noise produced on the 20"wheels with Continental tyres.

Have complained to the Volvo Uk customer service and on the Volvo Reevoo reviews site about the noise and yet Volvo UK deny all knowledge that there is a problem outhere.

This is indicatieve of Volvo UK "customer service" ,deny there is a problem and then give their stock answer " go and contact your dealer" and hope that the complainent goes away.

MY 16 XC90 D5 Inscription & MY 15 S 60 D4 SE Lux geartronic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (129.3 KB, 48 views)
Dutchbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 08:38   #2
Denedriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbird View Post
Noticed this on the Swedespeed site , glad to see that I am not the only one who has a problem with the excessieve tyre noise produced on the 20"wheels with Continental tyres.

Have complained to the Volvo Uk customer service and on the Volvo Reevoo reviews site about the noise and yet Volvo UK deny all knowledge that there is a problem outhere.

This is indicatieve of Volvo UK "customer service" ,deny there is a problem and then give their stock answer " go and contact your dealer" and hope that the complainent goes away.

Hi,

Thanks for this. It is interesting to see that Volvo are "not aware of a problem". The original message on the Swede Speed forum is also me, I wanted to cover both to see if there was a growing problem. It seems there is but mainly limited to the 20 inch wheels. I have a test drive with a Volvo technician tomorrow. I will see if they then acknowledge the problem. There seem to be about five or so across the two sites and the number is growing. It may help if I collate details and we all have a joint approach to Volvo?
Denedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 15:49   #3
Dutchbird

Re your above entry of the excessive road noise caused with the 20" wheels fitted with the Continental tyres.

It would be interesting to see how many other XC90 owners have the same problem ,please keep the forum updated once you have a test drive. Then see what Volvo has to say.

We went home to Holland last week to get winter tyres fitted . There our old Volvo dealer told us that Volvo NL are expecting the launch of the XC90 four seater "Excellence" model but fitted with extra sound insulation and the Pirelli Sound Cancelling tyres ,this due to the many complaints recieved about the excessive noise in the car.

MY16 XC90 D5 Inscription & MY15 S60 SE Lux Geartronic
The Following User Says Thank You to Dutchbird For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 09:20   #4
basoom

Hi
Is this excessive noise issue only with 20' alloys or it is a problem with the 19' alloys with less width tyre?
I test drove xc90 two days ago with 21' alloys and to be honest, I am slightly put off to place the order as felt the road noise and vibrations on the excessive side?

Cheers
basoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 11:43   #5
Dutchbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by basoom View Post
Hi
Is this excessive noise issue only with 20' alloys or it is a problem with the 19' alloys with less width tyre?
I test drove xc90 two days ago with 21' alloys and to be honest, I am slightly put off to place the order as felt the road noise and vibrations on the excessive side?

Cheers
There seems to be a general problem with the overall sound insulation combined with the excessive tyre noise produced by the 21" and the 20" tyres fitted with Continental tyres. I have not heard of any owners changing their tyre brand to see if there is an improvement.

Volvo however on the New XC90 "Excellence" four seater model are improving the sound insulation and fitting Pirrelli Sound Cancelling tyres, so that tells you something.

See if you can get the dealer to change the 20" wheels for 18" wheels and have an extended test drive over the different road surfaces if they will not go to an other dealer.

Volvo UK customer service deny that they have recieved have any complaints due to the excessive sound problem caused by the tyres ???

MY16 XC90 D5 Inscription & MY15 S60 SE Lux Geartronic
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 12:06   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

They say " See your dealer" because they are the experts with the volvo technical assistance at their finger tips ..
If the dealer cant be bothered to read his bulletins that is another issue.
Volvo are working on this ,

Firstly set the tyre pressures to front 35 psi Rear 32 PSI
only for 20" wheels
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 12:37   #7
Dutchbird

Have read your advice about the pressures but I still waiting for a reply from Continental tyres. The question was , will the change in the tyre pressures have a long term effect on the tyres and other safety issue involved. Also have they authorised Volvo to change the tyre pressures as you have stated, the car was tested and signed of for the original pressures, any changes must authorised.

Untill Volvo come out with a directive stating that the new tyre pressures are the correct ones , then I am not too sure if even your Car Insurance is valid should you have an accident. You are driving a car with incorrect tyre pressures , as per book , and could have contributed to the accident.

And even you are correct then Volvo UK should have informed the effected owners to inform them to change the tyre pressures as owners are not daily at the Volvo dealer to find out.
It is not up to the dealer to inform the owner , it is up to Volvo UK , they have the data base of the owners , they could have moved since their last visit.

Last edited by Dutchbird; Dec 11th, 2015 at 12:56.
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 14:31   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Have read your advice about the pressures but I still waiting for a reply from Continental tyres. The question was , will the change in the tyre pressures have a long term effect on the tyres and other safety issue involved. Also have they authorised Volvo to change the tyre pressures as you have stated, the car was tested and signed of for the original pressures, any changes must authorised.

Untill Volvo come out with a directive stating that the new tyre pressures are the correct ones , then I am not too sure if even your Car Insurance is valid should you have an accident. You are driving a car with incorrect tyre pressures , as per book , and could have contributed to the accident.

And even you are correct then Volvo UK should have informed the effected owners to inform them to change the tyre pressures as owners are not daily at the Volvo dealer to find out.
It is not up to the dealer to inform the owner , it is up to Volvo UK , they have the data base of the owners , they could have moved since their last visit.
They already have , see your dealer ...

What does it say about pressures on your In-Car manual by the way ? Would be interesting to know .
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 16:25   #9
Dutchbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
They already have , see your dealer ...

What does it say about pressures on your In-Car manual by the way ? Would be interesting to know .
On my IPad car manual for the XC90 it states, that both front and back should be inflated to 2.4 bar

Have just phoned a Volvo dealer picked at random so to be fair to my normal dealer and asked the question .They teplied that they have indeed recieved a bulletin from Volvo only as an interim measure to increase front and decrease the back pressures as thisthis will not solve the problem completly. There is also a modification to the B Pillar?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.8 KB, 20 views)
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 23:37   #10
Gaskit

I have a D5 Inscription which was delivered with the 275 width 20" wheels. I have also complained on Reevoo that the road noise is bad, particularly on concrete road surfaces. I recently changed my wheels for 18" Nokian winter tyres and the difference is dramatic - significantly quieter on all surfaces.

I also have the air suspension which was good with the 20" rims and the combination was reasonably sporty but I had to agree with a few reviewers that said they didn't feel that it was that great with no "floating on air" feeling. The 18" rims have again made a big difference and I think give the car a much smoother ride.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaskit For This Useful Post: