Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1964 Amazon 122S restoration project

Views : 27959

Replies : 245

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2022, 00:00   #81
Bob 1967
Master Member

Yep, that sucks.
https://www.lidl.ie/c/tool-time-parkside/c700/w1

Next week...
https://www.lidl.ie/c/tool-time-parkside/c705/w2
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 01:14   #82
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 1967 View Post
I daresay we'll get the same eventually..............

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 06:00   #83
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 1967 View Post
Repairs are coming along nicely, you are in for the long haul !
Rails look nasty , I don't think I've seen anything as bad being saved.
You should name it Lazarus !
You are right Bob, Juular has the patience of Job.

:-)
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 06:07   #84
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Can't see any grinding or cutting discs but other useful toys for the boys here :

https://www.lidl.co.uk/c/diy/c2430/w1

Maybe as you suggest, Ireland gets a slightly different stock profile?
Thank you for that Dave. It was absurd of me I know, but I had not considered that a food store like Lidl would have a website. In hindsight that silly of my of course: almost everyone has a website.

Anyway, thank you for the link - I'm guessing the hardware items change weekly or monthly, so I'll check the website rather than make a trip (it is close by though).

Alan
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 09:32   #85
Juular

Not a huge amount done this week.

Patched up a bit of chassis rail. The rest looks nasty but it's not bad, and when cleaned up and measured with a caliper, it shows it hasn't lost much thickness either. If it can survive being hammered with the sharp end of a claw hammer, it's fine. One or two little bits on the bottom of the rails need new metal put in, but the rest is OK.

Outrigger for this side folded up.

Fits well.

Welded in and primed.

Next, to repair that floor, then jack the car up and start on the chassis rails and sills.

I have a plan forming. I know it will evoke sharp intakes of breath and perhaps some derision.

When solid, I'm thinking of running it with the twin carb B18 for a while just to get a feel for it.

In the long term, I'm considering swapping that out with a XUD9 turbo diesel.

It's by no means set in stone (I go through phases of making big plans..), but it does makes some sense. It's the same displacement and roughly the same size, but has the potential to run on vegetable oil at around 50mpg, while possibly making up to 130bhp. It's an entirely mechanical engine while still being reasonably modern. No fly by wire. No ECU. No electronics apart from a constant 12v to the stop solenoid.

It's a ratty car, never going to be show worthy as I don't have the resources to make it that way. It may as well be a fun, economical daily drive, right? Plus I absolutely love the sound of a clattery diesel.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 09:43   #86
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you for that Dave. It was absurd of me I know, but I had not considered that a food store like Lidl would have a website. In hindsight that silly of my of course: almost everyone has a website.

Anyway, thank you for the link - I'm guessing the hardware items change weekly or monthly, so I'll check the website rather than make a trip (it is close by though).

Alan
Aldi do many similar products and if you search for "Aldi Special Buys UK" you will almost certainly find them. Sign up via email and they send you an email with advance notice (usually 3-4 days) giving you the chance to buy online often with free delivery.
That means you can just buy the item you want/need rather than going there and returning with a canoe, chainsaw and other unneeded (but wanted at the time) stuff. I suspect Lidl do similar but haven't verified that.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 09:50   #87
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
I have a plan forming. I know it will evoke sharp intakes of breath and perhaps some derision.

When solid, I'm thinking of running it with the twin carb B18 for a while just to get a feel for it.

In the long term, I'm considering swapping that out with a XUD9 turbo diesel.

It's by no means set in stone (I go through phases of making big plans..), but it does makes some sense. It's the same displacement and roughly the same size, but has the potential to run on vegetable oil at around 50mpg, while possibly making up to 130bhp. It's an entirely mechanical engine while still being reasonably modern. No fly by wire. No ECU. No electronics apart from a constant 12v to the stop solenoid.

It's a ratty car, never going to be show worthy as I don't have the resources to make it that way. It may as well be a fun, economical daily drive, right? Plus I absolutely love the sound of a clattery diesel.
Why not just convert the B18B to LPG? The price of diseasel is only going one way and that is up, LPG retains the original character of the car and gives running costs ~1/2 of petrol and won't make you unpopular with your neighbours on a cold morning when it sounds like they've woken up in a lorry park.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 12:13   #88
Juular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Why not just convert the B18B to LPG? The price of diseasel is only going one way and that is up, LPG retains the original character of the car and gives running costs ~1/2 of petrol and won't make you unpopular with your neighbours on a cold morning when it sounds like they've woken up in a lorry park.
I don't have easy access to LPG, the distance to my closest filling stations negate the point of saving money IMO. I'm also concerned that LPG is going one way as well, as in many stations are closing. I do also have access to cheap / free WVO.

I also hate my neighbours.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 12:27   #89
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
I don't have easy access to LPG, the distance to my closest filling stations negate the point of saving money IMO. I'm also concerned that LPG is going one way as well, as in many stations are closing. I do also have access to cheap / free WVO.

I also hate my neighbours.
Excellent idea - I really like diesels, mainly because they are so much more efficient than spark ignition motors (and that just has to be a good thing, whatever governments say).

I mechanical diesel would be a good idea - and get friendly with the local chip shop owner so you can run it on old oil - and be followed by a 'frying tonight' aroma.

Old Aug 29th, 2022, 16:57   #90
Bob 1967
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Excellent idea - I really like diesels, mainly because they are so much more efficient than spark ignition motors (and that just has to be a good thing, whatever governments say).

I mechanical diesel would be a good idea - and get friendly with the local chip shop owner so you can run it on old oil - and be followed by a 'frying tonight' aroma.

I was at a concrete plant doing an early morning pour about 2010(2,000m3), the articulated trucks had "Donkey" engines running on used cooking oil.
It drove us nuts , we thought the canteen had started cooking breakfasts although it was only 4am !
We were ravenous by 8am and would have eaten concrete blocks with brown sauce!!!

The fabrication is top notch btw.

Last edited by Bob 1967; Aug 29th, 2022 at 17:00.
Bob 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bob 1967 For This Useful Post: