Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

retro fit active xenon headlights

Views : 626

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 21:59   #1
mk1golf1111

Default retro fit active xenon headlights

Hi,
I'm new to volvo's and I've just bought a 2007 v70 mk3 and i'm trying to change the headlights i've bought some Xenon Active Headlights {part number 31214171}.
I just need some help finding the right part numbers for the control module and the active light switch for the dash.
I've found a few different part number for the control modules and i'm not sure what's what.
I tried volvo parts but i think i caught the guy on a bad day as he wasn't interested even though one of the mechanics said it was doable.
Sorry for the long winded post and thanks in advance for any help/guidence.
mk1golf1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 23:09   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Technically it can be done but it’s very difficult and not guaranteed by any means. It has been covered a few times on here before if you have a good search. You will need to “hack” your CEM using dash or similar, and also add the axle sensors as well as the dash switch.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 07:32   #3
mk1golf1111

Thanks for the reply i found a thread where someone did it in a mk2.
I'm struggling to find a site where you can search through the part numbers.
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 08:25   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

One of the issues you will need to overcome is the type of headlamp (halogen or Xenon) is coded into the CEM at manufacture, and cannot be changed by conventional means (i.e. at a dealer or using VIDA). There are some third party utilities out there that can change it (e.g. VDASH) but you have to break into the CEM first (i.e. crack the PIN code).

The setting in the CEM changes both the capability to drive ABL's but also the electrical switching methods - on halogen headlamps the power to them is controlled like a dimmer switch so they get exactly 12volts (or less sometimes when running as DRL's) and this type of power supply causes many HID ballasts to flicker, pulse off and on or not work at all, plus the bulb failure warnings on the dash.

Some people have overcome this by hacking the CEM and changing the setting, others have set up a system of dummy loads and relays, but for the full ABL set up you will likely need to do the former.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 12:42   #5
mk1golf1111

Crikey this is sounding like a royal pain in the ass. I think i might just upgrade the standard bulbs and be done with it.
thanks for the advice
Old Oct 25th, 2022, 09:10   #6
apersson850
Premier Member

The older models (like the one in this thread) have separate controllers for Xenon headlight level adjustment and ABL (sideways adjustment - following the front wheels).
On later modules the HCM (Headlight Control Module) got integrated into the CEM.

I'm not sure what happens if you take a car where the CEM has been hacked to allow for Xenon lights to an authorized Volvo dealer? Volvo's diagnostic system is on-line with the database they maintain in Gothenburg, covering the configuration data of all cars made. It may restore the configuration in the car back to what it's supposed to be, according to the database, thus nullifying all efforts to get the Xenon light to work.
I do know that some illegal (i.e. non Polestar) engine tuning software is removed in this way.

Last edited by apersson850; Oct 25th, 2022 at 09:14.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2022, 14:15   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post

I'm not sure what happens if you take a car where the CEM has been hacked to allow for Xenon lights to an authorized Volvo dealer? Volvo's diagnostic system is on-line with the database they maintain in Gothenburg, covering the configuration data of all cars made. It may restore the configuration in the car back to what it's supposed to be, according to the database, thus nullifying all efforts to get the Xenon light to work.
I do know that some illegal (i.e. non Polestar) engine tuning software is removed in this way.
If serviced at a main dealer and the software updates include the ECM - then it is a known issue that a re-map can be overwritten with standard config. It's not that Volvo are actively deleting third party maps, but in the process of updating software the configuration database is often updated as well. If a car has a Polestar upgrade then this is logged on Volvo's central system and the Polestar config re-applied so it's not lost.

I'm not sure if this would apply to CEM settings such as headlights? Equally I'm not sure if the CEM would need a software update to recognise the HCM as the HCM needs an input from the steering angle sensor - in the same way that when a trailer module is fitted for towbar electrics - an update is usually needed.

To the OP - yes whlist technically possible and whilst some people have done it successfully - it is a major pain.

Personally I would buy a set of second hand halogen headlamps and see if I could open them and retro fit some projector lenses such as these :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251580937...Bk9SR6CC1fSBYQ

You can then try H1 or H7 retrofit HID or LED lamps - HID are more likely to give an acceptable beam pattern as the emitter is much smaller than LED.

I have done the above on a V50 to very good effect, on the V50 lamps it would possible to remove the lens assembly without splitting the lens and back apart. Could cost you less than say £150 so if it doesn't work not much lost....

Be aware though that whilst it might have a good beam pattern, it would comply with MOT requirements.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Oct 25th, 2022 at 14:24.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: