Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

M25 cameras - sneaky cameras

Views : 4032

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 13:13   #1
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Default M25 cameras - sneaky cameras

Just thought i would let people know that there are cameras on the left side of the overhead gantries on the M25 which ARE active, they are very sneaky and are starting to go up overnight. I have been watching them go off whilst stuck in traffic this morning. they are from J24-26 and slowly growing round to the M4.

you shouldnt really have anything to worry about cause i know our volvos are aerodynamically challenged :P

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/module...wtopic&t=94353

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1401269

"We're the most watched nation in the world with cameras everywhere videoing and photographing us. Stray over the speed limit or supposedly commit some parking infringement and you get a glorious technicolour photograph of yourself and your car along with a demand for money. When someone gets murdered, the most anyone comes up with is a grainy shot of the victim walking down a street ten minutes before the crime was committed."

Last edited by Anadinolin; Jun 23rd, 2014 at 13:47.
Anadinolin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anadinolin For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 16:11   #2
Coventry
Master Member

There's a really sneaky trick to avoiding this issue that the money-grabbing government/councils don't want to you know about. It's a neat little trick and I was sceptical at first but then I tried it and it really works!

I thought I'd share it here to stop any other drivers being caught by these scamming cameras: don't exceed the posted speed limit.

Seriously, it works! I'm sure you're sceptical but give it a go and you'll be amazed. You can beat the system and stop the money grabbing!
Coventry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coventry For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 18:26   #3
GrahamBrown1
Register Keeper - S80, P2, and P3

Default !

we should all be fine, this isn't the VW/BMW/AUDI speeding/tailgating forum now is it!

At risk of starting a very looonnnggg topic I hope they get everyone that deserves it!!

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 18:47   #4
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coventry View Post
There's a really sneaky trick to avoiding this issue that the money-grabbing government/councils don't want to you know about. It's a neat little trick and I was sceptical at first but then I tried it and it really works!

I thought I'd share it here to stop any other drivers being caught by these scamming cameras: don't exceed the posted speed limit.

Seriously, it works! I'm sure you're sceptical but give it a go and you'll be amazed. You can beat the system and stop the money grabbing!
Going to tell us what it is?
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 19:34   #5
Coventry
Master Member

Sure,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coventry in obvious underlined text View Post
don't exceed the posted speed limit.
Coventry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 20:10   #6
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
we should all be fine, this isn't the VW/BMW/AUDI speeding/tailgating forum now is it!

At risk of starting a very looonnnggg topic I hope they get everyone that deserves it!!
Indeed.

Every speeding fine results in more money for the govt, which must take the pressure off the rest of the system. Which means, unless you seriously think somebody is lining their personal pockets, an option to reduce other taxes. Or if taxation remains the same, bigger budgets. Either way we all (law abiding citizens) benefit from the fines generated by these devices.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 22:48   #7
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
Indeed.

Every speeding fine results in more money for the govt, which must take the pressure off the rest of the system. Which means, unless you seriously think somebody is lining their personal pockets, an option to reduce other taxes. Or if taxation remains the same, bigger budgets. Either way we all (law abiding citizens) benefit from the fines generated by these devices.
All it does is add to the billions taken from motorists, that aren't then spend on transport, so rather than expanding the motorways, we are sold "managed motorways" (changed to 'smart motorways' later to sound less condescending) and "hard shoulder running" which still cost millions, but don't add capacity and just discourage more use, and for those still using the roads (necessity in many cases), add to the motorist cash-machine from the cameras etc. put in to 'manage' the flow.

I would be fine with speed cameras if we had realistic speeds. We need to increase the 70mph limit to 80mph. There's a motorway near me that is 50mph - parts have been increased to 60, but it should be 70mph all the time.

The more people get frustrated and feel stuck, the worse driving becomes. Motorways are the safest roads and responsible for something like less than 6% of accidents/deaths/injury's. So let's be sensible - cameras in town where they can actually stop accidents, not where they don't.
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 08:03   #8
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I agree that speeding in towns is dangerous & should be clamped down on. I also agree that speeding on the motorway in the wrong conditions is also dangerous.

What really gets my goat though is speed cameras don't have any ability differentiate between what's a dangerous condition & what isn't.

80mph on a clear road at night in good weather is far far safer that 60 in a pea souper in the rush hour, but which driver gets the piccy in the post.

Surely in this day & age where cars are far more advanced than when the 70mph limit was introduced the limit should be variable dependant on conditions.

They quickly reduce the speed to 40,50,60 in traffic how about raising it to 80 in good conditions ? No No never coz the whole environmental issue will moan.

Years ago was stopped in my Impreza for doing 90+ on the M4, totally clear road (was 3am) perfect conditions. Traffic Officer advised me that although the road was clear the car they still had to be seen as upholding the 70mph limit. After admitting that yes I was a tad over the limit his next words were - ' I don't blame you If I had that car & a nice clear road I'd be stretching it's legs too'

That's the whole issue nowdays with everything being target driven the Police have very little option to use common sense.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 11:33   #9
BigBadRob
PieMaster

Just to add something that isn't an opinion (and at the risk of sounding condescending):

70mph is the LEGAL limit on a motorway/dual carriageway. It is there for a reason (regardless of any amount of belief that you can drive perfectly safely at 80/90/100mph etc) and has been contested since it's introduction in 1965, to no avail thus far.

If you exceed this, you are breaking the law. By having a driving licence issued to you by the DVLA, you have agreed to abide by the various road traffic acts that govern the country's highways. This includes adhering to the speed limits. Not sticking to this means that they are within their rights to remove your entitlement to drive.

If you exceed the speed limit and get caught, then there are consequences. If you're not prepared to face them, then you can either surrender your licence or simply drive within the speed limit.
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 12:58   #10
Bill_56
Premier Member

Well said, BigBadRob

We have seen a few arguments in this thread in favour of changing the law, ie increasing speed limits. I personally symathise with some of these views. We live in a democratic country and so those who want to change the law are entitled to pursue that goal, letters to MPs, newspapers etc, are a good place to start.

But the fact you feel that the law should be changed does not entitle you to simply ignore it. That way lies anarchy and, unless/until speed limits are ever raised, I fully support the authorities for enforcement efforts of current limits.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote