Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Engine Replacement

Views : 2964

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2017, 12:07   #1
V50PWR
And So The Journey Begins

Question V50 Engine Replacement

Okay so first off, the other day there when I was driving my car down the motorway the timing belt snapped. Having had my car recovered and the garage look at it the engine is pretty much a write off. Issues with current engine are: Timing belt snapped, Bent Vertical Valves when the Pistons hit them and then they hit the rocker, Vacuum Pump shot, metal in the intake, Metal in the inner fold and in the Turbo and that's just having a quick look, not even checked camshaft etc yet. There's all sorts of things happened to it!

Since I know I need a new engine my questions are:-

Where's the best place to find another 1.6D2 - D41 62T engine?
I have been offered a 2.4D5 - D52 44T engine. What's the likelihood and
ability of getting this in my V50?

I really have no clue so I thank you in advance for any help offered and if such help is offered please reply in lamens terms 😂

Cheers again,

Calum
V50PWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 12:18   #2
StatusRed
Premier Member

If you put in a D5 engine you'll probably need to inform the DVLA and your insurer to be.. *legit*.

Do you know the exact engine code of it? If you look: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_V50#Engines you can see the D5s that were fitted to V50s, so I assume if it's the same engine it would physically go in?

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak

Last edited by StatusRed; May 4th, 2017 at 12:21.
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 13:59   #3
iainmd

Your chances of getting a D5 working in a car that had a 1.6D are slim to none. You'd need a new ECU, all the other components around the engine, larger battery and the new ECU probably won't mate to the other components around your car. I'd say it's a non-starter unless you have very deep pockets and infinite time to give to the project. Far cheaper to buy a D5 instead.

I'd concentrate the search on a replacement suitable engine.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2017, 20:02   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

As has been said, whilst technically anything is possible, in reality there is no chance of it working and no good reason to attempt it. As well as trying to convert all of the electronics from a 4 cylinder to 5 cylinder engine - it wont mate up to your gearbox.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 08:33   #5
Bloders2

volvo engines seem very expensive for some reasons.
for more economically viable to buy one out of a ford or peugeot.
the bare engine is the same. you may need to swap bits over which are car specific but nothing major.

in the ford and peugeot they call the engine by different codes. just make sure when you look at it it looks the same - in particular the EGR routing. If thats it, it will fit and work just fine.
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 22:07   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloders2 View Post
volvo engines seem very expensive for some reasons.
for more economically viable to buy one out of a ford or peugeot.
the bare engine is the same. you may need to swap bits over which are car specific but nothing major.

in the ford and peugeot they call the engine by different codes. just make sure when you look at it it looks the same - in particular the EGR routing. If thats it, it will fit and work just fine.
I read somewhere (not sure of authenticity) that Volvo did assemble their own 1.6 and 2.0D engines for a while and these are more reliable and long lived than for FoMoCo/PSA ones. As said I'm saying "I heard that" rather than making a statement so if anyone has could confirm/deny??
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old May 7th, 2017, 07:19   #7
Bloders2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I read somewhere (not sure of authenticity) that Volvo did assemble their own 1.6 and 2.0D engines for a while and these are more reliable and long lived than for FoMoCo/PSA ones. As said I'm saying "I heard that" rather than making a statement so if anyone has could confirm/deny??
I dont have factual knowledge to the contrary buti highly doubt it.
Volvo would not install the production lines complete with jigs and fixtures for a relatively small number of engines (small in comparision with all the 1.6 and 2.0 engines made, they are everywhere in various guises). They would not hand build them either (in the sense of true hand building them without production line facilities etc)

To the point, even if they did, it does not affect the OP as he/she needs an engine, though i guess your saying if it is true it may be why the volvo engines are more expensive?
If thats the case, the extra cost is not worth it. I sold a engine like the OP needs for £575, whereas i could pick up PSA/ford onese for about £200. And, whilst i am rambling on, the Volvo one in OP vehicle has not been so good else it would not need replacing.
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 08:54   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloders2 View Post
I dont have factual knowledge to the contrary buti highly doubt it.
Volvo would not install the production lines complete with jigs and fixtures for a relatively small number of engines (small in comparision with all the 1.6 and 2.0 engines made, they are everywhere in various guises). They would not hand build them either (in the sense of true hand building them without production line facilities etc)

To the point, even if they did, it does not affect the OP as he/she needs an engine, though i guess your saying if it is true it may be why the volvo engines are more expensive?
If thats the case, the extra cost is not worth it. I sold a engine like the OP needs for £575, whereas i could pick up PSA/ford onese for about £200. And, whilst i am rambling on, the Volvo one in OP vehicle has not been so good else it would not need replacing.
It's been debated before: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archiv.../t-138953.html
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:01   #9
The Thong
VOC Member

It'd be easier to buy another motor rather than try an engine upgrade. There's plenty of cheap V50's out there if you want something with more grunt. Your best bet is to swap like for like quite honestly.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:

Tags
engine 2.4lt, replacement engine, v50 1.6d