Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing Weights of D4 FWD Manual 2015 version

Views : 8498

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2014, 12:25   #11
TunnylaneTom
TunnylaneTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnylaneTom View Post
Thx guys. Page 15 shows max tow weight 1600Kg. Towing a Sterling Elite Emerald with MPTLM of 1603Kg. Reduction still a mystery!
Ooops. Its 1630 not 1603 so makes it a bit more serious.
TunnylaneTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 16:07   #12
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Let us know what the dealer tells you!
Old May 4th, 2014, 20:53   #13
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Ooops. Its 1630 not 1603 so makes it a bit more serious.
Isn't the towing allowance a function of the car weight also? If so could it be that the all up weight of the car has dropped with the new engine hence the reduction in towing allowance?

I recall that they changed the towbar down force a couple of times when the xc60 initially came out which also caused a lot of upset amongst caravaners, then it was put back up to 90kg which is where I think it now remains
Old May 4th, 2014, 21:19   #14
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Sorry but nobody seems to have picked up the fact that I posted before.
The NEW brochure still quotes 1800, so which one is correct the brochure or the website??
Old May 4th, 2014, 22:21   #15
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Is that a new brochure from the dealer? For MY15?
The one I downloaded tells me 1600
Old May 4th, 2014, 23:15   #16
Whiterdesign
Master Member

No it's the web brochure, which on http://www.volvoebrochures.co.uk/xc60/

Just an addition been on the Swedish web site and they are quoting 1600 for the 4 cylinder d4 and 2000 for the d5, but for the uk d5 this is 1800.
Don't think they seem to know themselves!!!!

Last edited by Whiterdesign; May 4th, 2014 at 23:23.
Whiterdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 04:50   #17
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Does anyone know why the max towing weight of the xc60 D4 FWD manual has been reduced from 1800kg on the 2014 version to 1600Kg on the 2015 version? And what someone should do if they've ordered one needing the 1800Kg level as the 1600Kg limit is too low for their caravan?
Tom
Have you ordered one and then found out? If you made it a point of the sale you should be able to back out.There was an issue with tow weights with XC60's and 70's I understand a few years back, more so I believe nose weight - and no one really knew the answer - not even Volvo!!!!

No idea why the figures all over the place are different, although the caravan you mention will have a MTPLM (fully loaded weight) of 1630kg, and doubtful it would ever be loaded to that weight. So long as the actual weight of what you are towing is no more than what the car is allowed to tow, and that the gross train weight (car and caravan together with all passengers/luggage) is within the limits allowed, all should be fine. Ok if stopped by the police it may be questioned and your outfit may be weighed. Same with insurance - they may say they will not pay out in the event if a claim, although cannot see how they could prove that the caravan was overweight, as what is stopping someone hugely overloading a caravan with a MTPLM within what the car is permitted to tow?

I have towed caravans/trailers with a MTPLM higher than what the car is allowed to tow - although the actual weight of the caravan/trailer has obviously been within the weight limits of the car. I remember a bizzare thing with some Renault 7 seaters is that they quoted a tow weight, think it was 1300kg driver only, and with any passengers it dropped I think to around half this. I queried this and said ''so if I have a passenger I can only tow half the allowed weight''. The answer was ''yes''. Me being me then said - ''so if I have a new born baby in a baby seat, 650kg is knocked off the towing weight'' - and the answer was ''yes''. Now I can actually see the point in it, even though it sounds ridiculous, because people would maybe hook a trailer say 1300kg on the car and then perhaps load 6 burly passengers - which COULD or WOULD have put the total weight of the car and trailer above what was allowed (gross train weight).

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 16:34   #18
TunnylaneTom
TunnylaneTom

Default Update

Thanks all for your inputs. Much appreciated. Update is:
1. We've asked our and other dealers if/why the Max Tow Weight is different and as Mike IOW said they don't know. Our own dealer didn't even have the right MY2015 brochure, edition 2 of which is here
http://www.volvocars.com/uk/Document...-pricelist.pdf

2. We've asked VolvoUK Customer Services (by email, Twitter and Facebook) and so far they've replied by saying speak to your dealer!

3. We've also asked them all what the Gross Train Weight of the MY2015 is so we can calculate if we can be legal or not but so far noone knows

4. We did order a D4 FWD SE Lux Nav last week and we are waiting for a delivery date at which point we've been told we will find out if it is a MY14.5 or MY15

5. The deal is - if it turns out that it is a MY15 and it cannot legally tow our van then the deal if off

Ill post another update when I get the delivery date/model spec or if I ever find out the 2015 Max Tow Weight or Gross Train Weight from anybody

Tom

PS When I say "we" it is my wife who's fallen in love with the XC60 and who is buying the car. I have never bought a new Volvo and if it was me I would not have ordered one and would have bought something else as I cannot believe the incompetence, ignorance and lack of customer service from Volvo or its dealers. There. Got it off my chest!

PPS I do have a love for Volvo but its for my old warhorse 1989 740GL 2.0 litre estate.

Last edited by TunnylaneTom; May 8th, 2014 at 17:02.
TunnylaneTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 17:45   #19
tem
Premier Member

I do not think you will get a MY14.5 because they closed orders on the 11th February.

tem.
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:26   #20
MikeIOW
Premier Member

That is a sad retort from VolvoUK: have you told them the dealer does not know & you need *manufacturer* help?
As mentioned, you will not be on MY14.5 - which may or may not be good for you - as things stand the brochure confirms 1600 as the limit. Sounds like MrsTunnylaneTom will be sad but you may not!

My *personal* opinion is that absolutely nothing would be different between them, hence why Volvo *the maker* needs to pronounce the truth for this!

Sorry to hear you feel so p'd off with Volvo: my perspective is that this is a very very technical detail that Volvo have appeared to screw up.....& perhaps one that will not make any difference to *most* of us.....but clearly not yourself :-(
All dealers can give varied experiences depending on the members of staff you get, etc - for example, my local dealer had a *cough* less than knowledgeable member of staff trying to sell me the car, whereas the dealer I eventually went with has a much better team of people I have dealt with so far.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, I doubt they would argue with a cancellation in order given the reason (if that is what you end up doing).

I am curious about what vehicle you would have chosen in preference: the XC60 ticks a mass of boxes for me that simply weren't met in the competition (including comfort/performance/equipment/safety/economy/price!)

Tags
towing