Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC40 Realistic Range

Views : 2731

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2023, 09:41   #1
ElScorchio

Default XC40 Realistic Range

Hi all, new member here.

Having just bought a 72plate XC40 Recharge Plus Plug-In hybrid.

What is the realistic range we'll get out of the battery? Had it plugged in til battery said full...27miles. Got no extras, other than radio, on.

Is this what we'll be looking at...and nowhere near the 57 (I think) that is advertised.

Any tweaks/setting changes anyone can recommend before we have a play?

TIA.
ElScorchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 10:57   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

yet another miss sold hybrid / electric car unfortunately.. 27 miles that's not good . take it back and ask why.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 11:31   #3
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
yet another miss sold hybrid / electric car unfortunately.. 27 miles that's not good . take it back and ask why.
Totally agree - I presume you mean it's showing a full battery but only 27m range, rather than a half full battery because of a charging issue ?

My V60 twin engine always shows 30m range once charged and 22-25 in practice, but it was designed for up to 30m. Yours should be 40-45 in practice, maybe a touch more.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 11:56   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElScorchio View Post
Hi all, new member here.

What is the realistic range we'll get out of the battery? Had it plugged in til battery said full...27miles. Got no extras, other than radio, on.

Is this what we'll be looking at...and nowhere near the 57 (I think) that is advertised.

TIA.
A hybrid battery/motor assists the combustion engine and if used like that will get great MPG , the battery will charge when going down hill and when braking. The 9 year old V60 D6 could get well over 100 mpg if driven accordingly. A hybrid will have a much smaller battery than a full electric car. the best of both worlds.
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 12:56   #5
Andy70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElScorchio View Post
Hi all, new member here.

TIA.
Where did you see 57 quoted, all the specification on the Volvo site say max 28, the XC60 and Xc90 with the 3 layer battery are supposed to get into the 40's but unfortunately not the XC40.

When it's warm like now, we get 25 on Pure and 20 to 22 on Hybrid. In winter it was 18 to 20 on Pure on out T5 Recharge PHEV. Then on a 160 mile each way run it returns 60 odd on the way up using all the battery then 42 on the way down in Polestar mode with no battery. I don't think that's bad.

It works perfectly for us, obvious I would love 40 moles range but sadly not on the XC40.

Could you have seem Kilometers instead of miles.
Andy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 13:44   #6
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy70 View Post
Where did you see 57 quoted, all the specification on the Volvo site say max 28, the XC60 and Xc90 with the 3 layer battery are supposed to get into the 40s.
That's the one I'd get (used) when it comes time to replace my V60 with another one. I think it's 54m theoretical, so I'd hope for 42-45 best.

You can definitely get quite savvy by building up charge before you get to urban areas in your trips, rather than just leaving it in hybrid.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 17:40   #7
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy70 View Post
Where did you see 57 quoted, all the specification on the Volvo site say max 28, the XC60 and Xc90 with the 3 layer battery are supposed to get into the 40's but unfortunately not the XC40.
Yup, it’s a 10.7kw battery - not an ice cube in hell it will get 57 miles, I think the OP is confusing it with the later XC/V60/90 battery.

2.5m/kWH is decent enough as an average to work to.
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 15:25   #8
Tallbloke

We picked up our XC40 B3 plus last week and are disappointed with the economy figures so far. From the deals to home is dual carriageway apart from 1 mile. So to date we have done around 105 miles at cruising speed and the economy is showing as 34.5 MPG at best. I did a trip computer reset to see if that would improve but nothing drastic.

All the literature says up to 42.2 MPG for the B3 engine. Anyone else think the mileage figures have been misrepresented?

I'm hoping it's just the car settling and computer needing time to read correctly but have a nagging doubt that the dealerships have left a bit of packing of plastic in the air box somewhere.

Anyone else suffered this?
Tallbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 17:28   #9
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

It's always worth a look at this site. No B3 entries yet, but B4 average is 36.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/volvo/xc40-2018
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 18:27   #10
Tallbloke

Thanks, I kind of knew manufacturers used artistic license and hopefully it will settle but I'd like it to be closer to the 40+ mpg figure.
Tallbloke is offline   Reply With Quote