Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 842581

Replies : 6340

Users Viewing This Thread : Steve 940

Old Oct 15th, 2023, 21:28   #5681
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8914903555142/

Just trying something Dave!

Can you view it now?
Nope , it's on Faceberk so no access, thanks anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi Dave,

Whilst in no way a deal breaker, the nearest LPG is in Ipswich i believe, be nice to tidy up the boot side panel for the hounds 🙄 and my gut feel is to remove to take away potential problems in the future. I may of course be completely wrong and talking out of my posterior……..

Cheers
Steve
Morrisons in Ipswich i believe still do it and would be ~80p/L on past experience of them. Other than that, one at Sudbury for ~£1/L :

https://www.filllpg.co.uk/index.php?page=lpg.php

Enter your area as Stowmarket and it finds the nearest to you.

Should be few, if any future problems with it, it's 105 octane so you can run a bit more advance, it should have an auto-changeover switch as well but as you've got a carb set up it may be a manual changeover. Chances are it's got an R90E vapouriser to turn the liquid into a gas and a mixer plate hung on each carb. Quite happy to help/advise on the LPG if you get it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 21:33   #5682
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Nope , it's on Faceberk so no access, thanks anyway!

Morrisons in Ipswich i believe still do it and would be ~80p/L on past experience of them. Other than that, one at Sudbury for ~£1/L :

https://www.filllpg.co.uk/index.php?page=lpg.php

Enter your area as Stowmarket and it finds the nearest to you.

Should be few, if any future problems with it, it's 105 octane so you can run a bit more advance, it should have an auto-changeover switch as well but as you've got a carb set up it may be a manual changeover. Chances are it's got an R90E vapouriser to turn the liquid into a gas and a mixer plate hung on each carb. Quite happy to help/advise on the LPG if you get it.

Cheers Dave,

Will see what happens Tuesday, and I can appreciate your problems in viewing or rather not viewing certain web pages, I’ve had to replace perfectly good laptop and iPad because their operating system couldn’t cope with up to date systems.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 21:38   #5683
ITSv40
VOC Member

It is also on ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305204351...Bk9SR9KU4dDmYg

Some better photos. Interestingly the description is now: has recently been refreshed and looking stunning externally - hmm. Vendor has owned since October 2021. Still needs viewing, but caveat emptor.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 22:14   #5684
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post

Some better photos. Interestingly the description is now: has recently been refreshed and looking stunning externally - hmm. Vendor has owned since October 2021. Still needs viewing, but caveat emptor.
Exactly ITSv40, eBay photos are indeed a whole lot better, but why is this at £7k and a similar one is at £20k

Cheers
Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 22:29   #5685
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Cheers Dave,

Will see what happens Tuesday, and I can appreciate your problems in viewing or rather not viewing certain web pages, I’ve had to replace perfectly good laptop and iPad because their operating system couldn’t cope with up to date systems.

Cheers
Steve
It's not to do with an out of date computer Steve - it's because i refuse to use anti-social media like Faceberk, Instagorm and the like. The nearest i get is fora such as this one, the Rover, Jag and Honda fora i'm on and YouTube which i consider to be a video sharing website rather than anti-social media. That's as far as i use YT, might make the occasional comment here or there but not often.

Quote:

Thanks for that - that LPG tank install won't pass muster from the look of things, it seems to be held in with a spare wheel strap!

I may be wrong, there might be the correct bracket for a vertical donut (toroidal) tank) behind it but i somehow doubt it!

Also a distinct lack of changeover switch on the dash or anywhere near it, suggesting that it's only been half done.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 22:46   #5686
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's not to do with an out of date computer Steve - it's because i refuse to use anti-social media like Faceberk, Instagorm and the like. The nearest i get is fora such as this one, the Rover, Jag and Honda fora i'm on and YouTube which i consider to be a video sharing website rather than anti-social media. That's as far as i use YT, might make the occasional comment here or there but not often.

Thanks for that - that LPG tank install won't pass muster from the look of things, it seems to be held in with a spare wheel strap!

I may be wrong, there might be the correct bracket for a vertical donut (toroidal) tank) behind it but i somehow doubt it!

Also a distinct lack of changeover switch on the dash or anywhere near it, suggesting that it's only been half done.
I’m very much of your point of view, but on the hunt for a 145, it seems that the dreaded FB Marketplace has more posts. Juular suggested creating a ‘fake’ gmail and use that to create a FB account, hence allowing access to posts.

Cheers
Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 22:59   #5687
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I’m very much of your point of view, but on the hunt for a 145, it seems that the dreaded FB Marketplace has more posts. Juular suggested creating a ‘fake’ gmail and use that to create a FB account, hence allowing access to posts.

Cheers
Steve
A very good idea Steve, i know Yahoo supports disposable email addresses that you can use for that purpose and gmail accounts are easily made that you could use and dispose.

I created an FB account once about 15-20 years ago, just after it first appeared. Within minutes my PC alerted me to tracking cookies on all my financial websites with keyloggers on some of those tracking cookies!

Account and all cookies deleted and never been near it since, not even to look at a link - i did once and lo & behold, within minutes my PC was going mad on security alerts again!

If i ever really needed to use FB or similar, i would use somene elses device or a burner device with none of my financial info or anything else on it.

Old Oct 16th, 2023, 08:58   #5688
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Exactly ITSv40, eBay photos are indeed a whole lot better, but why is this at £7k and a similar one is at £20k

Cheers
Steve
The simple answer is the £7grand car isn't a £20grand car.

Looking at the £20grand car it is truly a one owner stunning timewarp example - going by the description and photos. Close inspection of the photos look absolutely correct. One point, look at the rear mudflaps - this is how they are fitted at the factory. Now look at the mudflaps on the £7grand car and you will see the bodge fitting. The £20grand car has correctly refinished sills - smooth paint to the same standard as the rest of the car. The £7grand car has paint over stonechip on the sills - what is it covering? Everywhere I look on the £20grand car is correct.

I would look at the £7grand car in the following way.

Ignore the shiny new paint for a moment. is the interior in pretty good shape and will it clean up satisfactorily? The vendor cannot be ars*d to do it, so I suspect some of the brown staining is permanently ingrained. Interiors are much more difficult to restore than mechanics or bodywork. The mechanics appear to be ok and the car is drivable - mechanics will always need attention in the future, so not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

The car has done 40 odd thousand miles, why did the engine need a rebuild - hopefully the history file will provide the answers.

Apart from the quality of the paint, the finishing of the bodywork is poor, yet the vendor emphasises the glossy paint as a selling point - I wonder why. No under bonnet photos - I wonder why. The LPG conversion hasn't been used by the vendor, so another buggeration to remove, back to original spec - definitely not a selling point.

The history file needs close inspection and if that all stacks up the car could be a fairly tidy example with known history from new. A drivable 53 year old car with history is rare. So we most likely have a tidy car with history, usable with known things that need doing.

Having got to this point, I would then consider if I wanted to drive the car for a couple of years or so and sort out the interior and any mechanical work that needed doing in the expectation that the bodywork would reveal its secrets and I would then need to strip and carryout a full bare metal restoration - knowing that the interior and mechanics were in good order and could all be refitted once the bodywork was correctly restored.

I've no idea what the market value is or the availability of the missing trim parts, but it could be quite fun sourcing parts and doing maintenance whilst keeping the car roadworthy.

I now think the big question is: what is the cost of the work needed in the future to bring it up to a good condition and what it is worth to you in its present condition? You could end up in a few years time with a correct, restored car with history and low mileage. Again, good luck with however it turns out.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2023, 09:20   #5689
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The LPG conversion hasn't been used by the vendor, so another buggeration to remove, back to original spec - definitely not a selling point.
Earlier i advocated keeping and using the LPG system, having seen how the tank is installed and the possibility it's the wrong tank for vertical mounting i would now reconsider that, pending looking at how the system has been installed, potential savings in cost Vs originality etc. That said, arguably it's a period upgrade so won't necessarily detract from the overall value, assuming of course that it has been fitted correctly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2023, 09:57   #5690
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
The simple answer is the £7grand car isn't a £20grand car.
Well ITSv40, that of course is one of the best answers to a rather obvious and stupid question really.

Totally agree regarding the interior.

After sleeping on it, I will look to view tomorrow, if I don’t view it I know I’ll just kick myself.

Cheers
Steve
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post: