Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 2018 not starting - water in starter moter?

Views : 271

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 21:30   #1
BlueBells

Default V40 2018 not starting - water in starter moter?

We bought a second hand V40 3 months ago. Drove fine up until 3 weeks ago where it wouldn't start.

The garage said they found a large amount of water in the starter motor, and put in a new one. They told us the only possible way this could have happened is if we had driven through a flood.

Here's the issue. We have never driven through a flood, or even a deep puddle. We live in London and don't drive it often, the last occasion before the episode was a sunny day. The mechanics didn't believe us.

The car has remained on the driveway for a week since it came back from the mechanics. Today we went to start it but again it won't start.

The car is under warranty so we have to take it back to the same garage. I suspect there is water in the starter motor again. We again drove it on a sunny day, but there has been a huge amount of rain since it has sat on the drive. But the garage has told us that it's impossible for this to be caused by any other kind of water damage other than driving though water. Can anyone confirm how else water could have gotten into the starter motor? I don't want to take the car in again, not have the cause resolved, and just have an argument over whether we drove it appropriately.

Last edited by BlueBells; Mar 3rd, 2024 at 21:59.
BlueBells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 19:56   #2
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

This sounds most odd, I would be asking to have a look at the old starter, I imagine they stripped the motor down to ascertain it’s full of water. I would also insist to see the current starter motor if they say the same. You can tell by the condition inside if it’s had water in it or not.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 22:16   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBells View Post
We bought a second hand V40 3 months ago. Drove fine up until 3 weeks ago where it wouldn't start.

The garage said they found a large amount of water in the starter motor, and put in a new one. They told us the only possible way this could have happened is if we had driven through a flood.

Here's the issue. We have never driven through a flood, or even a deep puddle. We live in London and don't drive it often, the last occasion before the episode was a sunny day. The mechanics didn't believe us.

The car has remained on the driveway for a week since it came back from the mechanics. Today we went to start it but again it won't start.

The car is under warranty so we have to take it back to the same garage. I suspect there is water in the starter motor again. We again drove it on a sunny day, but there has been a huge amount of rain since it has sat on the drive. But the garage has told us that it's impossible for this to be caused by any other kind of water damage other than driving though water. Can anyone confirm how else water could have gotten into the starter motor? I don't want to take the car in again, not have the cause resolved, and just have an argument over whether we drove it appropriately.
That's very odd. Water doesn't just appear in the starting motor, especially when you haven't driven through any floods.

I don't really know how else water could have got into the starting motor. Wild guess... maybe a hose leaked directly onto it? There's not really much else I can think of. That would be a coolant hose, so wouldn't necessarily be "water".

If the car is under warranty, as much of a pain as it may be, I'd be straight back to that garage. They fitted a starting motor on the condition the other one was water damaged. The new one has gone in and its the same scenario again. I think there's another issue, they don't know what it is, and its becoming a parts cannon.

As mentioned by Graham above, demand to see the "new" starting motor they fitted to see if it's water damaged. It'll be easy to spot if they're telling the truth, water damage creates rust...

As the car isn't being driven much, it could be a low battery or maybe the alternator isn't working and that isn't charging the battery properly? Have they tested any of those?

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 5th, 2024 at 22:26.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
start motor, v40, water damage, water leak