Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Front Door Card Pockets??

Views : 472

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2022, 21:31   #1
Steve 940
Premier Member

Default 940 Front Door Card Pockets??

Hi

My attempted fix to the wrinkly tops of my door cards hasn't been a total success, I had to slit near the door locking button, that has been fine over the winter, but now the warmer weather is here, the contact adhesive used is obviously not holding as a slight gap can now been seen.

Have located a set of supposedly good cards, but both front cards have broken plastic storage pockets and carpet near armrest is dirty.

My existing pockets are thankfully pretty much unscuffed and not cracked, and my carpet sections are unmarked. Does anyone know off hand, if the pockets and carpet sections can be unscrewed or unclipped from the cards without damaging the card structure??

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Steve 940; May 16th, 2022 at 21:36.
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2022, 21:39   #2
tofufi
Premier Member

On my 740 they just unscrew from the rear. A two minute job.

I'm pretty sure 940 ones are the same, certainly late 760 ones are a straight swap too (but have carpeted lower door bins).

The carpet sections behind the door pulls are held in with fir tree clips - they can be removed and re-used with a bit of care. Just go careful when removing them as it can damage the doorcard if too much force is used.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2022, 22:10   #3
Forrest
VOC Member

The carpet pieces are held on by three plastic clips on each. They slide into keyhole type slots on the back but I suspect you will have to push the clips out of the door card rather than try to unhook the insert from the clips because one of the slots goes in the opposite direction to the other two. Have a look at a picture of some to get the idea, e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373905647002

I’ve never removed or refitted these myself. Those sort of fittings are usually ok to manipulate if you can access the back of them to push them out but often snap if you cannot.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2022, 22:43   #4
Steve 940
Premier Member

Many thanks guys, most helpful.

Cards I've found are at a breakers nearby, so are off the car.

I had intended to take my cards off, remove the good pockets and carpet, and just swop over onto the hopefully good cards with no wrinkles, so I will be able to access both sides to get to clips.

Cheers
Steve
Old May 16th, 2022, 23:17   #5
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Many thanks guys, most helpful.

Cards I've found are at a breakers nearby, so are off the car.

I had intended to take my cards off, remove the good pockets and carpet, and just swop over onto the hopefully good cards with no wrinkles, so I will be able to access both sides to get to clips.

Cheers
Steve
All easy to swap over. I've done quite a few
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2022, 01:21   #6
TonyS9
Premier Member

Yes I had damage pocket on the original door card I did a door swap on, but my original skin/vinyl was in good shape, but the replacement door had bad vinyl.

At the time I indentified 2 different constructions which one appeared on the surface to be the source of the wrinkly vinyl.

I can provide pictures of the different constructions if anyone is interested.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2022, 08:31   #7
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Tony,

Many thanks and sounds like you've already done what I'm looking at doing.

It was around 6-7 months ago since I tried my 'repair' but all my photos were of the face of the card and vinyl, and I can't remember what the back of the card looked like to see if the pockets and carpet could be just stopped over.

I assume the different construction differences you mention is the way they are actually put together?? Glue etc. So yes any photos you have of the construction difference I'm sure would assist me, as I don't want to keep pulling my cards on and off as my white fixing clips are a bit on the fragile side😀

Hoping to call at the breakers on Friday to look at the cards in person, as whilst the tops looked straight, I find it difficult to be certain on quality of the rest of the cards facings just from photos.

Cheers
Steve
Old May 17th, 2022, 10:08   #8
230ina245

Hi
If you need to use glue, make sure it is a high heat/temp contact adhesive.
If it doesn't say it's high temp on the tin, then it's not.
Frost sells a good one.
The other type of contact adhesive works fine for a little while in a car and then gives up.
Tim
230ina245 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 230ina245 For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2022, 12:08   #9
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230ina245 View Post
Hi
If you need to use glue, make sure it is a high heat/temp contact adhesive.
If it doesn't say it's high temp on the tin, then it's not.
Frost sells a good one.
The other type of contact adhesive works fine for a little while in a car and then gives up.
Tim
Yes, it was a small project to get the inside up to scratch shortly after buying it, in hindsight perhaps a bit more planning would have worked. Just used what I had in the shed, Evo Stik contact in red tin, thanks for the high temp suggestion from Frost.

If the new cards I’ve found aren’t any good then I might delve back in to redo the job. Pity how one’s enthusiasm isn’t quite so high when redoing jobs😀

Cheers
Steve
Old May 17th, 2022, 13:04   #10
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Yes, it was a small project to get the inside up to scratch shortly after buying it, in hindsight perhaps a bit more planning would have worked. Just used what I had in the shed, Evo Stik contact in red tin, thanks for the high temp suggestion from Frost.

If the new cards I’ve found aren’t any good then I might delve back in to redo the job. Pity how one’s enthusiasm isn’t quite so high when redoing jobs😀

Cheers
Steve
I've never really heard of anyone having that much success fixing the wrinkles.

Possibly if you got them completely recovered but the cost would be pretty high

I managed to get two mint sets of cards which were both on 98 celebrations that I broke

Last edited by griston64; May 17th, 2022 at 13:07.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: