Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Looking at a 14 plate S60, few Q's

Views : 1178

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2022, 15:23   #1
montecarlos

Default Looking at a 14 plate S60, few Q's

Hi sorry for any ignorance involved here, I've got very little knowledge of Volvo's I'm doing my best to find this stuff out myself but you know how it is... Conflicting info all over the place.

So the car in question is a S60 D4 SE spec, priced at around £9000, 14 plate with a 64,000 miles.

My questions are as follows.

Apparently autotrader states the acceleration as 6.9s 0-60 which is somehow faster than the D5? I'm assuming this is listed wrong. I'm not hugely concerned, my main requirement is that the car is strong enough in power to easily over take on single lane A and B roads. It also states £0 road tax and a claimed MPG (combined) of 74mpg. The 74mpg seems extremely ambitious, but I'm hoping for about 55mpg average on a 33 mile run at 60mph? Is that doable?

My other question is regarding heated windscreen.

The car I am looking at has the winter pack including heated front seats. Does this winter pack include a heated front windscreen and if not, is there an easy way to know if a particular car has one from the button layout in the centre console? This is something I would like to have but it's not crucial.

Lastly, sound etc. Are the base level speakers any good and can I use my phone via bluetooth (perhaps dock it and use android auto on the phone) to play music? Or is there a good aftermarket option to add android auto function to the car?

Any other advice on what to look for? Don't mind spending a few quid once I get it.

Thanks
montecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2022, 16:26   #2
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlos View Post
Hi sorry for any ignorance involved here, I've got very little knowledge of Volvo's I'm doing my best to find this stuff out myself but you know how it is... Conflicting info all over the place.

So the car in question is a S60 D4 SE spec, priced at around £9000, 14 plate with a 64,000 miles.

Apparently autotrader states the acceleration as 6.9s 0-60 which is somehow faster than the D5? I'm assuming this is listed wrong. I'm not hugely concerned, my main requirement is that the car is strong enough in power to easily over take on single lane A and B roads. It also states £0 road tax and a claimed MPG (combined) of 74mpg. The 74mpg seems extremely ambitious, but I'm hoping for about 55mpg average on a 33 mile run at 60mph? Is that doable?

The car I am looking at has the winter pack including heated front seats. Does this winter pack include a heated front windscreen and if not, is there an easy way to know if a particular car has one from the button layout in the centre console? This is something I would like to have but it's not crucial.

Lastly, sound etc. Are the base level speakers any good and can I use my phone via bluetooth (perhaps dock it and use android auto on the phone) to play music? Or is there a good aftermarket option to add android auto function to the car?

Any other advice on what to look for? Don't mind spending a few quid once I get it.

Thanks
Welcome and answers in order:

The Volvo brochure also quotes a faster time for the D4 vs D5 as the D4 is a lot lighter an engine. Also if it's auto the D4 has an 8 speed vs the D5 having a 6 speed. I'll risk starting an argument here but the D5 5 cylinder engines are deemed to be more reliable but less economical compared to the D4 4 cylinder ones

Yes I believe it does as well as heated front seats and heated washer jets. You can see very thin wavy lines in the glass if it's heated and also if you press the demist button once it should display "electric" in the satnav display. Pressing it a 2nd time also displays "max"

Stock speakers sound good to me. I dropped all my music on a USB stick and leave it in the centre console. I've looked at aftermarket for Android Auto to use Google maps but the solutions I've found looked flaky and expensive

Download the user manual free from the Volvo website
Old May 16th, 2022, 17:27   #3
montecarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easington View Post
Welcome and answers in order:

The Volvo brochure also quotes a faster time for the D4 vs D5 as the D4 is a lot lighter an engine. Also if it's auto the D4 has an 8 speed vs the D5 having a 6 speed. I'll risk starting an argument here but the D5 5 cylinder engines are deemed to be more reliable but less economical compared to the D4 4 cylinder ones

Yes I believe it does as well as heated front seats and heated washer jets. You can see very thin wavy lines in the glass if it's heated and also if you press the demist button once it should display "electric" in the satnav display. Pressing it a 2nd time also displays "max"

Stock speakers sound good to me. I dropped all my music on a USB stick and leave it in the centre console. I've looked at aftermarket for Android Auto to use Google maps but the solutions I've found looked flaky and expensive

Download the user manual free from the Volvo website

Thanks for the response!

Happy with those answers, will have a read of the manual.

Is the 4 cyl engine 'unreliable' or just not as reliable as the 5 cyl? I'm going to be saving £280 a month on car finance so I have no issues spending the money to ensure the car is well serviced and maintained in that sense.

Is the polestar optimising worth it? How much is that generally?
Old May 16th, 2022, 21:31   #4
Deck1ng
Master Member

5 cyl has proven to be pretty bomb proof.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2022, 21:59   #5
scbamber

Quote:
my main requirement is that the car is strong enough in power to easily over take on single lane A and B roads. It also states £0 road tax and a claimed MPG (combined) of 74mpg. The 74mpg seems extremely ambitious, but I'm hoping for about 55mpg average on a 33 mile run at 60mph? Is that doable?
To answer this question: mine is a 2014 D4 which I've had from new, and has been dealer-serviced throughout. You can be almost certain therefore that this one, the red one I saw on Autotrader just now, has been properly looked after and had the EGR preventative pipework and software fixes, the seat belt recall, and the recall to check the manifold. The only trouble was pretty minor... Gear stick vibration in two or three gears and its associated noise after about 2 years...fixed under warranty with a new part that Volvo had redesigned (so it wasn't just me...).

Mine has done 61000. It's overall fuel consumption is 53mpg over that mileage. I never do a trip under 25 miles and very minimal city driving of stopping and starting. I did a 64 mile trip today as usual, mainly on dual carriageway and good single A roads and used cruise control at 65mph most of the way....... 62.7mpg. Very relaxing.

Owners who do very short trips of 3-4 miles to the shops seem to have endless expensive trouble with the EGR...at least they say so on this forum!

The winter pack is indeed great..the heated seats are good for our aging backs, not just in cold weather, and are lovely after 2 minutes. The heated windscreen clears any condensation within 30seconds, and clears frost perfectly in about 2 minutes, so we can then drive off safely. We have air-con running at the owest setting all the time too.

Power for overtaking...... More than plenty except for boy racers.

Summary... I am more than pleased overall. That Autotrader one looks a genuine deal, and frankly a good price for a dealer-serviced car throughout its life

Last edited by scbamber; May 16th, 2022 at 22:02.
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2022, 10:11   #6
montecarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbamber View Post
To answer this question: mine is a 2014 D4 which I've had from new, and has been dealer-serviced throughout. You can be almost certain therefore that this one, the red one I saw on Autotrader just now, has been properly looked after and had the EGR preventative pipework and software fixes, the seat belt recall, and the recall to check the manifold. The only trouble was pretty minor... Gear stick vibration in two or three gears and its associated noise after about 2 years...fixed under warranty with a new part that Volvo had redesigned (so it wasn't just me...).

Mine has done 61000. It's overall fuel consumption is 53mpg over that mileage. I never do a trip under 25 miles and very minimal city driving of stopping and starting. I did a 64 mile trip today as usual, mainly on dual carriageway and good single A roads and used cruise control at 65mph most of the way....... 62.7mpg. Very relaxing.

Owners who do very short trips of 3-4 miles to the shops seem to have endless expensive trouble with the EGR...at least they say so on this forum!

The winter pack is indeed great..the heated seats are good for our aging backs, not just in cold weather, and are lovely after 2 minutes. The heated windscreen clears any condensation within 30seconds, and clears frost perfectly in about 2 minutes, so we can then drive off safely. We have air-con running at the owest setting all the time too.

Power for overtaking...... More than plenty except for boy racers.

Summary... I am more than pleased overall. That Autotrader one looks a genuine deal, and frankly a good price for a dealer-serviced car throughout its life
Sorry if I am misunderstanding, but it sounds like you have found the car I'm looking at? £9225 in Minstergate Hutton?

Yea it looks like a really nice car indeed, and the Volvo stamps are a big plus.

I'm going to go have a look on Saturday, I can see a bit of wear and tear on the steering wheel but hopefully not too bad.

I can get almost a 50mpg average out of my V6 diesel Audi A4 so I'm hopeful my particular work commute is fairly economical, I'm not expecting 50+ around town and the general 'average' doesn't need to hit 55mpg, I'm more thinking my drives to work on A/B roads at 55-65mph need to hit 55ish on the regular.

33 miles each way 5 days a week, 20k miles a year probably hopefully keep the diesel healthy.
Old May 17th, 2022, 10:34   #7
Stroudy

The D4 is pretty quick. I have a 2014 D4 R-Design and its fast enough for most situations.

You will have the heated front screen if you can see the wavy lines across the glass and mpg wise i get 57-60 real measured mpg avg on 80% motorway (at 75 mph) and 20% A/B road driving each week on journeys around 75 miles each way. That economy will drop somewhat in town though as the engine is much leaner on open roads at a cruising pace.

I have noticed, after multiple tests, its more economical when i do a tank staying at 75mph on the motorway part of my weekly trips than at 70mph. Due to fuel dynamics i guess.
Stroudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2022, 11:55   #8
Pointer7

Quote:

Thanks
Hi and welcome, good choice by the way

I have an R-Design S60 D4 on a 14 plate and I love it, plenty of poke for overtaking but noticed it can be a bit dim-witted and slow in normal mode so I usually leave it in sport mode

I average around 50 mpg on a long run but 74mpg isn't achievable unless you walk! and yes if you can see the lines on the windscreen then you have the heated one...

I have my Ipod plugged in to the usb socket and it sounds great, yours should have a hard drive as well to copy cd's to etc.

Enjoy!
Pointer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2022, 11:56   #9
scbamber

Yes, the one in Driffield. An hour away for you.
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2022, 12:07   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointer7 View Post
Hi and welcome, good choice by the way

I have an R-Design S60 D4 on a 14 plate and I love it, plenty of poke for overtaking but noticed it can be a bit dim-witted and slow in normal mode so I usually leave it in sport mode

I average around 50 mpg on a long run but 74mpg isn't achievable unless you walk! and yes if you can see the lines on the windscreen then you have the heated one...

I have my Ipod plugged in to the usb socket and it sounds great, yours should have a hard drive as well to copy cd's to etc.

Enjoy!

It is , you need flat roads and cruise at 60 mph try it ! hills kill fuel consumption .