Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My 740 has got the wrong engine

Views : 1386

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2022, 19:30   #11
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only too pleased to try and assist.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 23:37   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
The seller thought it was a 2.8, but the engine looks as if John is correct. It's an inline 4.
According to the VIN the original engine was a B200E.
If it's definitely a 740 then there's no chance it ever had a V6 from the factory which rules out the B28/B280 engine.

If the seller was that unsure that "B230E" referred to a 2.3 and not a 2.8 there's a chance he fitted a B230E timing belt cover to a replacement B200E engine.

You could of course do the reverse and fit a B200E timing belt cover to your engine and plead ignorance and/or insanity about the true size of the engine (have you physically checked the block to see if it has "B230" on it? Right hand side i think) although if the block has "B200" on it then it is indeed a B200.

No good stirring up a hornets nest of insurance problems until you first check your facts and be sure it has a B230 in it.

Mind you, if that seller is that good at fitting timing covers to alien engines, i'd love to see him fit a timing belt cover to my B280E and i'd laugh even harder at him fitting a timing belt!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2022, 06:30   #13
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Many thanks for all the helpful advice and comments.

Just when you think you are on a path to the future, something else turns up. I've been offered a "D" reg 740 estate for £300. I'm minded to take it, as it's getting close to the free tax and no MOT status. It's on a SORN, and scrap value is over £250, so I'm prepared to buy it sight unseen.

I'll keep you guys posted if I get the estate.
Buying a 35 year old motor car sight unseen would be a brave thing to do indeed! It might turn out to be a peach that just needs a wipe down with a damp rag - or it may need £5,000 worth of welding, £3,000 of redecoration plus a new motor... I'm sure you understand all that.

If you are feeling brave then getting a D (1987?) registered motor car now with a plan to do it up over the next 6 years for when it becomes an historic vehicle (probably on 1 April 2028) would be really interesting (and not a bad plan).

Let us know what you decide to do :-)

Alan
Old May 14th, 2022, 12:09   #14
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Thanks for the concern, but I'm not too bothered if I'm paying scrap value for the car.

I'm hoping that it has got alloy wheels, as I have steel ones on my 740. and there might be some other useful bits. If the welding is not too bad, then I might give it a birthday service with the ultra sonic cleaner, and change filters etc. It looks as if I could make a healthy profit doing that.

I'd also like to get up ro speed with my welding, and it could be a good vehicle to practice on. I need some hobbies now that I have retired.
Offgrid is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Offgrid For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2022, 07:32   #15
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for the concern, but I'm not too bothered if I'm paying scrap value for the car.

I'm hoping that it has got alloy wheels, as I have steel ones on my 740. and there might be some other useful bits. If the welding is not too bad, then I might give it a birthday service with the ultra sonic cleaner, and change filters etc. It looks as if I could make a healthy profit doing that.

I'd also like to get up ro speed with my welding, and it could be a good vehicle to practice on. I need some hobbies now that I have retired.
Excellent attitude - the cheap 740 is probably just what you need as a retirement project. If you have the space, time and inclination to tackle welding and redecoration then this could be a really good project over the next 5-6 years, then it will be an historic vehicle and you would almost certainly be in the black.

I'm not sure about making a profit in the short term; old (but not yet historic) cars hardly ever do that. It might well be a very satisfying project for your retirement. Post some pictures and words as you progress - we all like project threads.

Alan
Old May 17th, 2022, 15:30   #16
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Don't bother telling the DVLA/insurance, no one will ever know.

Are tax exempt cars free to go into ULEZ zones? If not I can't see how these old boats would become magically more desirable - it's only a £280 a year saving.

Anyone worth their salt still MOTs their car beyond the exemption too.
Old May 17th, 2022, 17:34   #17
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Why would I want to go into ULEZ zones? They are probably full of people who believe that electric vehicles are better for the environment, and not just a revenue and control gathering exercise by the government. I'm a London boy ( Knightsbridge and Chelsea), but I haven't been there for years, and now I prefer to be offgrid - it's much healthier.

I've come to mistrust the fitters ( there are very few mechanics these days), and I prefer to do the work on my vehicles myself. I've had too many experiences of garages setting up jobs that don't need to be done, and replacing perfectly good parts to increase profits.
Offgrid is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Offgrid For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2022, 22:39   #18
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Why would I want to go into ULEZ zones? They are probably full of people who believe that electric vehicles are better for the environment, and not just a revenue and control gathering exercise by the government. I'm a London boy ( Knightsbridge and Chelsea), but I haven't been there for years, and now I prefer to be offgrid - it's much healthier.

I've come to mistrust the fitters ( there are very few mechanics these days), and I prefer to do the work on my vehicles myself. I've had too many experiences of garages setting up jobs that don't need to be done, and replacing perfectly good parts to increase profits.
Your cynicism is very well placed (IMHO). The less one can be beholden to the state (for nonsense taxes and MoT tests) the better.

:-)

Alan

Tags
b230e engine, offgrid camping, volvo 740