Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing Bodywork Parts Between S60 P2 Models

Views : 630

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2022, 09:17   #1
bigshorty48

Default Changing Bodywork Parts Between S60 P2 Models

Hi Everyone

Newbie Volvo owner here in need of some advice regarding being able to swap bodywork parts between S60 P2 models.

I've owned a 2004 S60 2.0 T S Automatic Saloon for about a month now and I absolutely love driving it. Mechanically it is spot on, however the bodywork has quite a few battle scars and looks old and tired. I have found a spares / repairs 2003 S60 D5 S 2.4 Saloon which is mechanically shot, but the bodywork looks in very good order, plus is exactly the same colour as mine. My plan is to buy the D5 and use as a donor car for bodywork parts for my car. The obvious difference is that the donor is a deisel and mine is petrol, but as far as the bodywork goes, are they basically the same car?

I will be removing both passengers side doors, both headlights, wing mirror, rear boot and front bonnet struts, front bumper, door seals, and any interior trim parts that need replacing, maybe some other bits that look better. Once I'm done I will be scrapping the D5 as I will be getting most of the money back for what I paid for it. It makes sense for me to do it this way as I will be spending out a whole let less than trying to source parts individually.

Anyway, as the title of this thread suggests, would the bodywork parts from the donor car be a straight swap for my car?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
bigshorty48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 09:24   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I would keep the door modules (window buttons) from the originals and fit them to the new doors because as far as I know they are coded to the car

also the reversing mirror is a key component with complicated electronics inside don't mess with that

possibly also swap over the door mirrors if they are different spec (motorised? puddle lights?)

personally I'd probably also strip the old doors and keep the window motors because they're valuable spares

that's assuming someone confirms for you the bits are a direct swap

bumpers, some have / have not got fogs? you can't just add them to a car that hasn't got it as original spec, it's not just a button it's programming as well

everything else sounds pretty straight forward i think. don't throw anything away until the swap is fully completed because you might have to swap something back

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; May 13th, 2022 at 09:43.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2022, 10:08   #3
bigshorty48

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
I would keep the door modules (window buttons) from the originals and fit them to the new doors because as far as I know they are coded to the car

also the reversing mirror is a key component with complicated electronics inside don't mess with that

possibly also swap over the door mirrors if they are different spec (motorised? puddle lights?)

personally I'd probably also strip the old doors and keep the window motors because they're valuable spares

that's assuming someone confirms for you the bits are a direct swap

bumpers, some have / have not got fogs? you can't just add them to a car that hasn't got it as original spec, it's not just a button it's programming as well

everything else sounds pretty straight forward i think. don't throw anything away until the swap is fully completed because you might have to swap something back
Many thanks for the prompt reply and useful info, much appreciated.

I had seen that the door modules are coded to the car, however it seems that some replacement modules work and some don't, either way it's not difficult to replace the modules from what I have seen, and it will only be the passengers door ones that need changing.

I'll definitely keep the window motors for spares, good tip cheers. No need to change the reversing mirror. As for fog lights, my S60 has them but the donor car doesn't. What I have noticed is the silver part of the bumper on the donor car does have the fog light recesses, but not on the lower black trim part. I may see if I can remove the lower black trim piece from mine, to attach to the donor bumper, that way I would have a new bumper too. However I have read that this black trim piece is removable on models that don't have fog lights, but not removable on bumpers with fog lights, so I'm probably going to have to refurb the original bumper.

Any other parts that might be worth harvesting before the donor goes to the scrappy? I'm happy to remove and sell any parts to anyone on here should they need them, as long as it isn't too technical, or tough to remove. The donor has only done 74k and needs new main engine oil seal, new dual mass fly wheel, new clutch and new clutch slave cylinder. Seems a lot of car still just to send to the scrapyard.
Old May 13th, 2022, 10:16   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

well if you have space to break it over time and put bits on ebay you'll probably do a decent job of making some of your money back

any bits that are in good condition and not programmable really

complete center consoles are hard to get hold of in good condition
all inside trim parts are useful
door cards in good condition
front grill if all the clips are unbroken
rear light clusters (you only mention needing the fronts)
the head unit if it works, sure someone will want that
are the wishbones the same as v70 in which case people might want them to polybush them

obviously though removing suspension components etc makes it a lot harder to move the car about

how much storage space have you got lol

mini project - link
Old May 13th, 2022, 10:19   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

pull out the old petrol flap lock as well they can go wrong. stick on shelf as spare

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; May 13th, 2022 at 10:21.
Old May 13th, 2022, 10:31   #6
bigshorty48

I'll defintely pull the petrol flap lock out, and some good ideas of what to strip, cheers.

It will be a matter of space I guess, don't want to upset the other half by having car parts strewn aboutthe place.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old May 13th, 2022, 10:36   #7
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

you might find the D5 has an undertray and petrol doesn't, if so you could add that to yours if you like that sort of thing (possibly improved mpg jury was out on that last time it was discussed).. I added one to mine anyway

it's not an easy one to post to someone though, collection only perhaps

mini project - link
Old May 13th, 2022, 19:08   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

plus one on every thing stuart said raidio and amp fuel pump air bags and seat belt tensioners are also worth salvageing lots ov v70 part will also fit your car for future referance.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2022, 07:28   #9
bigshorty48

Hi Guys

Thought I'd post a update on how my experience went swapping parts from the donor S60, to my S60. In all I am very pleased with the results and my S60 is looking rather nice now.

As I said, I wanted to swap both passengers side doors. This went really well, no major issues, however the front passengers door doesn't quite close as it used to, the door seems to lift up very slightly when it hits the centre pillar locking bracket. If I loosen the upper door hinge bolt it shuts perfectly, I have tried adjusting the locking bracket on the centre pillar, but can't seem to get it quite right. The door does close fine, but I think maybe a shim behind the top hinge, and a little more adjustment of the locking bracket should make the door close as it should. I'm also a bit disappointed with the speakers from the donor car, which have very cheap looking paper cones, whereas the speakers from my original doors had a nice, black, almost carbon fibre look about them. I would like to be able to swap them over but as the speaker mounts seem to be riveted in, it doesn't look like it will bean easy job. I'd be very grateful if someone could provide any links or advice on how to change the door speakers?

Had a bonus as far as swapping the front bumper went. My orignal bumper had fog lights, however the donor bumper didn't, even though the recesses for the fog lights were present. I thought the donor bumper was one complete seales unit, but upon taking it off, noticed the oval trim pieces where the fog lights locate, just pop out and left me being able to install the fog lights on the donor bumper, all I had to do was make sure I removed the mounting clips from the original bumper and put them on the donor bumper and was able to fit the fog lights. The other issue I thought I was going to have was concerning the headlight wipers that were on my car, but not on the donor car. The donor bumper did not have the cut away sections where the wiper spindles poked through, and thought that I may have had to cut the arms off to make the donor bumper fit. I needed to swap the headlights over anyway, so was prepared to do this, however, and to my surprise, I noticed the motors and spindle arms were integrated into the headlight unit. I didn't want the headlight wipers anyway, I personally think they look a bit of an eyesore, so was chuffed when I was able to swap the whole front bumper and headlights from the donor car to mine.

The wing mirror swap was an extremely weird experience. I looked at the wing mirrors on the donor car and noticed they were different, the drivers side wing mirror was of a bulkier, more rounded construction to that of the passengers one, which looked sleeker and a bit more angled. I prefer the passengers side wing mirror, but needed the drivers side one, so was a bit gutted. But then I looked at the mirrors on my S60 and I couldn't believe it, I had two different styles of mirror on my car. And this is where it got really weird, cause the mirrors on my car were identical, but on the opposite sides to the ones on the donor car, meaning I had the bulkier, rounded one on the passengers side and sleeker, more angled one on the drivers side. So I swapped the passengers side wing mirrors over and now I have identical wing mirrors of the sleeker design, which I much prefer, on my S60, was that fate?? Unfortunately I couldn't get a glass to fit the drivers side mirror, so have had to buy that separately, but just having matching wing mirrors of the design I prefer hs pleased me greatly.

I changed the boot struts over, which was incredibly easy and now I have a boot that opens and shuts properly, and not likely to chop my head off. Bonnet struts on the donor car were worse than mine so I didn't bother changing them over.

I'm going to have an easier day of it today, I want to swap any perished door seals, drivers side seal is especially bad, and I was to swap the centre console over as mine has a lot of paint wear, and mess with the passengers front door to see if I can get that to shut perfectly.

The only other job I am thinking of doing is swapping the front brake discs and pads over, if they are matching size that is. The discs and pads on my S60 are very worn and slightly warped, but look almost new on the donor car. If they're the same size and not warped I'll be swapping them over. I'll also check rear ones to see if they are worth swapping over.

After that, I'll just be harvesting parts that may come in useful, or that I can sell on, although I probably won't take masses of parts off, just in case it affects the scrap value.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigshorty48 For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2022, 15:06   #10
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshorty48 View Post
couldn't believe it, I had two different styles of mirror on my car. And this is where it got really weird, cause the mirrors on my car were identical, but on the opposite sides to the ones on the donor car, meaning I had the bulkier, rounded one on the passengers side and sleeker, more angled one on the drivers side. So I swapped the passengers side wing mirrors over and now I have identical wing mirrors of the sleeker design, which I much prefer, on my S60, was that fate??
that is a strange coincidence lol

were the other ones XC mirrors or something maybe

mini project - link