Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

front suspension strut

Views : 1116

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2022, 11:00   #1
Dippydog
Premier Member

Default front suspension strut

The spring on my step daughters C70 is for some reason is hitting on the inner wing we think either the spring has deformed in some way[it doesn't appear to have broken]or the strut is bent slightly.We're looking for a complete second hand strut to cover both bases and have found a possible on e-bay,however that one is listed as from a 2.0L where her car is a 2.4lpt and the picture of the item shows the 3 mounting bolts as poking up through the top mounting plate[so nuts would be needed on top of the inner wing]where her car has bolts going down through the inner wing into the mounting plate.So would it fit?Her car was registered in January of 2001[on a "Y" plate]but using the number plate on internet sites brings up that it's a 1999 car! Alternatively does anyone have such a suspension leg for sale?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2022, 12:20   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

try karl sabin he breaks c70s he is on here as sabink send him a pm . broken springs are quite common iv just replaced both of ours on a 2010 c70 or consider new they are not to expensive
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2022, 12:20   #3
volvo again
Master Member

Before you replace the strut, have a check on the lower wishbone arm.
had the same problem on my V70 with the n/s spring touching the inner wing, after replacing the control arm, because of worn balljoint the problem was solved.
Old May 11th, 2022, 13:33   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Got to agree with the above - if the strut is bent, you really need to work out why, as this is a VERY rare thing to happen, and is highly unlikely to happen all by itself. I'd also suspect broken spring and/or worn wishbone bushes long before I'd consider replacing a strut, as both of these things are very common on these, particularly worn wishbone bushes. Wishbone is also a lot easier to replace!
Old May 11th, 2022, 14:06   #5
brutneyburger

have you fixed it?
brutneyburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2022, 15:52   #6
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutneyburger View Post
have you fixed it?
Since 10 o'clock this morning? I doubt it mate.....
Old May 11th, 2022, 19:19   #7
ITSv40
VOC Member

The strut should have three studs coming through the inner wing with nuts on top. If your Step-daughter's has bolts going down, either the strut has been butchered or it is not an original strut.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2022, 21:45   #8
280E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
The strut should have three studs coming through the inner wing with nuts on top. If your Step-daughter's has bolts going down, either the strut has been butchered or it is not an original strut.
Agreed. I don't know of any strut that mounts with bolts from above - either OEM or aftermarket.
280E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2022, 23:52   #9
Dippydog
Premier Member

Well I've sourced another strut.Thing with this car is when she bought it it had a noise/vibration which the seller claimed he thought was the n/s wheel bearing so we replaced that[it was on its way out as it happens]but this didn't cure it.Revving the car while stood still it's as sweet as anything but with both front wheels in the air "drive" it and the noise/vibration was present and it sounded to be from the gearbox.Dropping the oil from the 'box and there were lots of metal particles present in the oil so another 'box has gone in but it's still pretty much the same.It was while doing the 'box swap that we noticed the spring hits the inner wing.the rear road wheel has always had a slight kink in the outer rim further investigation shows the inner rim is also kinked at an angle to the outer kink,so wondering if that wheel was originally on the front and has hit something hard enough the buckle the wheel and cause other damage[such as the strut or spring]the bottom arm doesn't appear bent though.The chassis legs appear straight and there's no sign of bending or creasing in any of the metalwork[inner wing etc]and panel gaps are even.One thing that has occurred to me is the posibility of the driveshaft being out of balance but unless the driveshaft from my P1 V70[also a manual 2.4 petrol-but none turbo where hers is the lpt]will fit so we can try that idea without cost I don't know how I'd prove that theory one way or the other.It will now be at least next Monday before anything can be done/tried.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2022, 09:20   #10
ITSv40
VOC Member

It sounds like the car has had a hard previous life😥

If only changing the strut on one side, you need to make sure the replacement spring is the same rating as the other side. The original Volvo springs had paint marks on them to denote the type - typically two paint brush marks, light blue and brown or red and green or some similar combination. There were a lot of different spring ratings fitted originally.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote