Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2009 V70 D4 Timing belt help please?

Views : 792

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2022, 15:09   #1
Joshua129

Default 2009 V70 D4 Timing belt help please?

Hello,

New to the forum, and relatively new to Volvos. I own a 2009 Volvo V70 2.0L diesel (D4204T) which I am currently attempting to replace the timing belt. I have done my research before attempting the work, and have searched the forum regarding the issue I have encountered, but with such a variety of models and engines, it is hard to find answers that are specific to my car.

Before I continue, I am changing the timing belt as I have no history of it being changed previously, there is no issue with the timing or with the engine.

I have purchased an engine locking kit specific for my engine, as I did not fancy jamming a screwdriver into the flywheel. There are three main tools with the kit, flywheel timing pin, flywheel locking tool, and camshaft locking pin. I understand that the camshaft locking pin should be installed through the hole in the camshaft pulley when it is rotated to approximately 4 o'clock. I rotated the crankshaft until the camshaft pulley was at the correct orientation. However, I cannot install the flywheel timing pin. I rotated the crank again, but of course the crank rotates twice for one rotation of the cam, so that was not the issue. I could understand if it was the other way around, i.e. flywheel pin in place and camshaft pin not fitting, as the crank would just need one full rotation to align the two timing holes (if that makes sense).

I have looked online and I did see something about the flywheel could have been installed incorrectly, so the timing hole in the flywheel is at the wrong orientation. Poor design from Volvo if you ask me if it is that easy to do, but it could be possible I suppose. It may have been removed and incorrectly installed previously, not that it would affect the running of the engine.

Otherwise, the crankshaft and camshaft are both locked up and I am ready to tackle the crank pulley bolt. Do I need the timing pin in the flywheel? As long as I add timing marks before removing the belt then I can't see a reason why I would need it?

Thanks in advance.

Josh
Joshua129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2022, 17:52   #2
passenger
Master Member

Send me VIN on DM, I will see tomorrow in VIDA step by step and send you pics
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2022, 11:31   #3
Joshua129

Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger View Post
Send me VIN on DM, I will see tomorrow in VIDA step by step and send you pics
Unfortunately I am unable to send you a DM due to my post count apparently. If you DM me first, am I able to reply?

Thanks
Joshua129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2022, 11:38   #4
passenger
Master Member

Nah, you cannot answer also
post here, I hope so I will see it.
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 00:28   #5
Vagabondrobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua129 View Post
Hello,

New to the forum, and relatively new to Volvos. I own a 2009 Volvo V70 2.0L diesel (D4204T) which I am currently attempting to replace the timing belt. I have done my research before attempting the work, and have searched the forum regarding the issue I have encountered, but with such a variety of models and engines, it is hard to find answers that are specific to my car.

Before I continue, I am changing the timing belt as I have no history of it being changed previously, there is no issue with the timing or with the engine.

I have purchased an engine locking kit specific for my engine, as I did not fancy jamming a screwdriver into the flywheel. There are three main tools with the kit, flywheel timing pin, flywheel locking tool, and camshaft locking pin. I understand that the camshaft locking pin should be installed through the hole in the camshaft pulley when it is rotated to approximately 4 o'clock. I rotated the crankshaft until the camshaft pulley was at the correct orientation. However, I cannot install the flywheel timing pin. I rotated the crank again, but of course the crank rotates twice for one rotation of the cam, so that was not the issue. I could understand if it was the other way around, i.e. flywheel pin in place and camshaft pin not fitting, as the crank would just need one full rotation to align the two timing holes (if that makes sense).

I have looked online and I did see something about the flywheel could have been installed incorrectly, so the timing hole in the flywheel is at the wrong orientation. Poor design from Volvo if you ask me if it is that easy to do, but it could be possible I suppose. It may have been removed and incorrectly installed previously, not that it would affect the running of the engine.

Otherwise, the crankshaft and camshaft are both locked up and I am ready to tackle the crank pulley bolt. Do I need the timing pin in the flywheel? As long as I add timing marks before removing the belt then I can't see a reason why I would need it?

Thanks in advance.

Josh
I have a 2.0 d V70 - and I recently wrecked the camshaft by trying to undo crankshaft bolt while cam was locked. Very silly, and have had to get a new engine which I'm switching over now. I would set both cam and flywheel with timing pins, you can't go wrong that way. If you set the cam timing pin first, you will find a little bit of play in the crankshaft/flywheel - you may need to just nudge it gently backwards or forwards to get the timing pin into the hole in the flywheel. You may also find the crankshaft bolt takes a lot of force to undo. Will need to remove the starter and use a flywheel locking tool if you can (my critical mistake). If you don't have a powerful impact wrench, a 400mm extension and a long 21mm hex socket resting on a an axle stand to lever with breaker will help a lot. Good luck if you haven't tackled it already!

Last edited by Vagabondrobb; May 13th, 2022 at 01:03.
Vagabondrobb is offline   Reply With Quote