Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Running board bolt snapped.

Views : 505

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2022, 19:36   #1
elv15

Default Running board bolt snapped.

Dear forum members, apologies if this is not in the right place, I'm new here and just recently bought a 2012 xc90 executive.
Today I have had second hand running boards installed but the guy snapped one of the bolts, the steps still look solid and he reckons they should just be fine, I don't expect much weight to be put on them as I had these installed because of the kids struggling to get in and out.

Any advice would be appreciated.
elv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2022, 19:45   #2
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by elv15 View Post
Dear forum members, apologies if this is not in the right place, I'm new here and just recently bought a 2012 xc90 executive.
Today I have had second hand running boards installed but the guy snapped one of the bolts, the steps still look solid and he reckons they should just be fine, I don't expect much weight to be put on them as I had these installed because of the kids struggling to get in and out.

Any advice would be appreciated.
You need to replace the broken bolt, as they don't just hold the running boards in place they also hold the subframe in place.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2022, 19:48   #3
azzledazzle
Certified Bodger

use a bolt extractor tool to remove the broken bolt and replace it.

who is this "Guy" who fitted them for you? just a mate? or a garage? any decent workplace would rectify their mistakes so you could always ask them to kindly put it right, especially if he charged you to fit them.

Last edited by azzledazzle; May 7th, 2022 at 19:49. Reason: removed misinformation
azzledazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2022, 19:54   #4
elv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post
You need to replace the broken bolt, as they don't just hold the running boards in place they also hold the subframe in place.
Thank you for your quick response, the part that's left in there is small and there is quite a bit of thread there, if I can get a shorter bolt and still screw it in, do you think that would be OK?
Thank you.
Old May 7th, 2022, 19:56   #5
elv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzledazzle View Post
use a bolt extractor tool to remove the broken bolt and replace it.

who is this "Guy" who fitted them for you? just a mate? or a garage? any decent workplace would rectify their mistakes so you could always ask them to kindly put it right, especially if he charged you to fit them.
Thank you for the advice, the fella who was selling them second hand is the one that I asked to install for a few extra quid and he did, will the method you mention work, seeing the part that's snapped is small and further in, and how easy would that be 😢
Old May 7th, 2022, 20:04   #6
azzledazzle
Certified Bodger

Quote:
Thank you for the advice, the fella who was selling them second hand is the one that I asked to install for a few extra quid and he did, will the method you mention work, seeing the part that's snapped is small and further in, and how easy would that be 😢
I see no reason why it wouldn't work, providing the bolt extractor is thin enough to fit inside the hole, after all it's what they were invented for.

you could also try a left handed drill bit.

If there is still plenty of thread left inside the hole then I personally would just put a smaller bolt in and leave it.

but that's just me being the sketchy, living life dangerously guy that I am. others may not agree lol
Old May 7th, 2022, 21:21   #7
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Are we talking about the screw bolts that hold the boards together or the ones that hold the boards to the car? ... if its the ones that hold the boards to the car they are substantial bolts and personally I would remove the running board then remove the broken bolt ... tbh I'm surprised he could break/snap the bolt.

If its the ones that hold the front and rear parts to the long length of the board then you may get away with using a stud extractor ... may still be easier to remove the board to do this.

Last edited by TruckbusUK; May 7th, 2022 at 21:27.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2022, 07:33   #8
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

You want it all out and a new bolt fitted. As aforementioned, its a sub frame bolt and the loads through are massive.

Even if your chap had removed it intact the bolts should not be re used, thats how critical they are. Take it to a shop that knows what they are doing and get it extracted, then send the bill to you whoever muffed it up in the first place.

I'm guessing it was one of the front bolts?

Of course, that's assuming its the sub frame and not one of the less critical bolts that are spaced along the boards length, although it usually is the subframe bolt that thst goes as water pools in the threaded hole above them. They need juicing up from above for days beforehand with something powerful like Rost Off before attempting removal, and then backing out, in a bit, out some more, in a bit, and so on.

Last edited by Familyman 90; May 8th, 2022 at 07:36.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2022, 16:46   #9
SkipjackUK
VOC Member

anyone know of suitable replacement bolts - part number etc
Old May 9th, 2022, 17:27   #10
azzledazzle
Certified Bodger

The fronts and rears are different sizes. There are 4x M10x35mm high tensile bolts and 4x M12x35mm high tensile bolts.

Search the bolt size on ebay. They're only a few quid. Much much cheaper than from Volvo.
The Following User Says Thank You to azzledazzle For This Useful Post: