Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight Main Beam/Flash

Views : 974

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2022, 08:55   #1
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Exclamation Headlight Main Beam/Flash

All,

So part of my MOT checks found that my headlight flash isn't working as is the main beam (shows how often I drive in the dark!!!)

So my fault diagnostics have been fuses which are all fine and I then reverted to VIDA and I can activate the headlights through VIDA activations. As this is the case, it is my assumption that the lights work correctly and it must be the switch.

Agree?

I have therefore purchased a replacement indicator switch from a breaker and this did not fix the issue - they still don't work..

So, did I buy a duff switch and I need to buy again or should I be looking anywhere else to perhaps a relay, etc?

Your thoughts and comments are always welcomed and appreciated.

Kindest,

Nigel.
NMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2022, 11:42   #2
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Are you saying that both the flash and main beam are not working?
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2022, 12:05   #3
SkipjackUK
VOC Member

have you checked what position the selector switch is in?

if you don't have it in the correct position the stalk doesn't 'lock' the main beam in position, only allows flash

Old Apr 23rd, 2022, 09:08   #4
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipjackUK View Post
have you checked what position the selector switch is in?

if you don't have it in the correct position the stalk doesn't 'lock' the main beam in position, only allows flash
Great thinking!! Sadly the switch is in the correct position and i dont even get a flash
Old Apr 23rd, 2022, 09:32   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

You have VIDA, use it

Activate the bulbs individually
Check the switch inputs individually

If all switch inputs are correct and the the relay properly activates the headlamps correctly, then it is a CEM or LSM problem, as the CEM controls the relays from signals generated by the LSM
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2022, 07:44   #6
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
You have VIDA, use it

Activate the bulbs individually
Check the switch inputs individually

If all switch inputs are correct and the the relay properly activates the headlamps correctly, then it is a CEM or LSM problem, as the CEM controls the relays from signals generated by the LSM
Hi Swiss, Thanks for your input as always.

From VIDA they activate from the activations section hence why I replaced the switch - but with no solution still.

There are no other CEM-related issues so with no sunroof or other issues i'd be surprised if it was that but it's not out of the question ofc.

Not sure what LSM is though?
Old Apr 24th, 2022, 09:50   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

LSM = Light Switch Module, the piece of electronics that the light switch is physically mounted to
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2022, 20:18   #8
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Talking

I thought that i would update this thread as I have found the issue.

I had previously bought a single indicator stalk from a breaker and that did not fix the issue so I was left wondering whether I cought a dud switch or perhapps that there was a wider issue undiscovered.

So I decided to buy another indicator stalk, this time on the base plate (incase that was damaged) and on fittment the light flash and main beam works perfectly.

So fixed!!!

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 9th, 2023, 20:05   #9
KAMXC90

Default No main beam

I have same issue, auto-elec advised as the CEM is car specific, best to wire in a floor mounted foot switch and dash led to indicate when is activated. Yikes is that really the best solution??
Can the CEM be repaired???
KAMXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2023, 21:48   #10
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMXC90 View Post
Yikes is that really the best solution??
No, not by a country mile. I'd struggle to consider anyone to be a qualified and experienced auto-electrician, if they had presented me with that nonsense as their conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMXC90 View Post
Can the CEM be repaired???
Possibly, and that would be the route which I would pursue IF the CEM is actually defective. Mind you, given the rubbish you've been spun already, I wouldn't necessarily agree at face value with their conclusion that the CEM is defective. Did they use VIDA to attempt activation of the main beams, as per the previous OP's posts in this thread? Other than by careful and methodical process of elimination, it's the only way to be certain.

Assuming it is defective, there are companies who can make repairs and which, by many accounts on this site, are usually very successful. Since I've never needed and thus never employed their services, I will mention no names lest it be taken as an endorsement - but if you search this forum for CEM repairs, then you'll find them.

Good luck.

Tags
headlights and side light