Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

b230fk Upgrades?

Views : 3205

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2022, 13:18   #11
Beadybc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
so you need to find out what they have done to achieve this stupid modification.
Yeah I forgot to mention, there's no Lambda sensor in the exhaust, those holes have been welded shut and I think they've just removed it entirely as I can't find it in a new spot, some people move them to just after the turbo don't they?
Beadybc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beadybc For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 13:28   #12
Pete940
Ideal Volvo

If I was going for more power than I currently have (16T turbo and a few other things) I would go for a bigger turbo. The td04's have such a restrictive turbine housing, so they're operating outside of their efficiency range once you've turned the pressure up. Considering that turbo technology has continued to progress, I'd be surprised if the lag was much different on a more modern but slightly larger turbo. I'm not suggesting a massive turbo by any means. And it would reduce back-pressure.
Guys like Stavros (Stav-tech) have shown how effective a more modern turbo can be on a redblock.
Pete940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete940 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 13:52   #13
Beadybc

Quote:
Originally Posted by B10B View Post
The first things that needs to be addressed is air metering and fuel. It's well known that you will reach 'fuel cut' with anything more than about 330cfm though whatever turbo is on the engine and the injectors will be at max cycle. Expect 220hp to be the limit here.
Addressing the air metering with a 3" Amm and 440cc injectors with fuel and ignition chips designed for the correct amm linearisation tables and injector constants will enable you to utilise the higher cfm of larger turbos like the 19T. At 18psi my 940 makes 265hp after tweeking the ignition map on a roller.
Cam choice is also a big factor, internet dogma says get a larger cam but you will make more torque with TD04 HL turbos with a T or A cam. The IPD cam will give you a lower but more broad torque curve with more high end hp when used with a 19T if my car is anything to go by.
Then you have the exhaust which should be 2.5" minimum 3" is preferable, and if money is no object the TTV flywheel and 850R clutch kit is amazing.
There is probably more or something I've missed, even people that might disagree but this is just what I have found
Found a chip set online which comes with both fuel and ignition ECUs included?: https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Stage..._17574283.aspx

They recommend this amm: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222242568...QAAOSw8oFX0Di5

And they recommend larger 470cc injectors: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252116656...3ABFBMtof_m_9f

In terms of exhausts I am struggling to find the parts online, am I going to need to have one fabricated?
The Following User Says Thank You to Beadybc For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 14:16   #14
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Both the Ebay links you have there are for defective parts.

The air flow meter does not read right at all and does not work.
The injectors are cheap copies and run far too rich under low duration and lean at long duration.

I stock genuine Bosch injectors

The Air flow meter and injectors need to be fitted in combination with a bigger turbo. The parts need to work together
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 18:24   #15
B10B
Bald

I used an ostrich and an eeprom burner to optimize fuel and timing, I believe the chipsets you link are called blabla chips or something, although best ask the man on here that has them!
I found them to be very close but you can not beat tweaking them to your own engine, the timing was a bit low under full load.
You can get an exhaust made, any custom outfit worth their salt can do it.
As for amm a neat trick is to buy a cheap shoddy 3" one of Ebay for the BODY, then carefully remove the electrical parts off a standard 940 amm and the cheap one and put the standard part in the 3" body. The electrical parts are identical between a 016 and 012 amm its only the body size that is different.
As has been said TD04 HL turbos are still small on the hot side, and that is why I don't run more than 18psi on it, sure a 19T can do more, people have done, but the pressure ratio will be getting too much.
Don't expect any TD04 to break 300hp on unleaded with an 8v redblock it takes a LOT of work, E85 can do it but we don't have it, you will do better with larger turbos if thats your aim.
B10B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B10B For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 21:19   #16
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Stock turbo is good for 300 wheel.

Old Apr 5th, 2022, 21:38   #17
B10B
Bald

Got to be E85 if its true. some major heat build up going on, looks all good.
B10B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B10B For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 12:44   #18
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadybc View Post
Yeah I forgot to mention, there's no Lambda sensor in the exhaust, those holes have been welded shut and I think they've just removed it entirely as I can't find it in a new spot, some people move them to just after the turbo don't they?
You might have spotted a normal repair, there is a spot for an addition O2 sensor (that isn't fitted) near the cat that often blows out and need repaired. The O2 sensor is normally near the turbo in the down pipe.

It will run without an O2 sensor but it won't pass mot with 6% CO and they will have had to remove the emssions check light (do you get a light with ignition on before the engine is started). Maybe that is also a way of avoiding idle problems.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 13:03   #19
360beast
Go redblock or go home

In a turbo car the lambda sensor has to be right by the turbo, if it is in or near the cat when the engine is at temperature the idle will hunt and it will run very rich. When the engine is cold put your hand under the downpipe by the turbo and you will find the lambda sensor.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 15:36   #20
Beadybc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
In a turbo car the lambda sensor has to be right by the turbo, if it is in or near the cat when the engine is at temperature the idle will hunt and it will run very rich. When the engine is cold put your hand under the downpipe by the turbo and you will find the lambda sensor.
Got my dad to have a closer look and he said he did in fact find it in the underside of the down pipe, guess I should have looked a bit harder before.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beadybc For This Useful Post: