Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 PHEV Foibles

Views : 7002

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2022, 11:28   #1
D6PHEV

Default V60 PHEV Foibles

Morning all.

I hope you don't mind if I pick your collective brains. Even though rare, the V60 PHEV is a lot more common in the UK (where I bought mine!) than it is here in Ireland.

I've had a good few issues in my 2 years' ownership, and luckily they were covered by warranty. Warranty is now out, and I'm looking for suggestions/advice.

First thing is the sim-card holder in the glovebox, part number 31324668. Recently I haven't been able to connect to the internet using the sim-card or the phone's bluetooth. I tried a different sim-card, but it made no difference. Not being able to use the phone is a strange one too. However, I am still able to turn on the car's wifi hotspot and connect the phone to that. It still doesn't connect to the internet though. I would've thought it'd be very rare for something with zero moving parts would fail, but that's really the only conclusion isn't it? And a replacement part should see me right again?

A bigger issue is the a/c compressor.
My car is 2014 and it first failed on the original owner in 2018. Volvo replaced the part for free as a good will gesture.
The car was then traded in to a Volvo main dealer in early 2020, and I bought the car a couple of weeks later. Volvo Selekt, 12 month unlimited mileage warranty. Brought the car home to Ireland (warranty 100% transferrable), and the compressor went two months later in March. Was replaced under warranty. 18 months later, the compressor failed again! But this time it's out of warranty so I'm on the hook for repairs.
To be fair to Volvo, they've offered me 50% discount as a goodwill gesture.
But I'm wondering if, seeing as this is such a known fault*, if I should be paying anything.

Would be very interested in hearing what you guys have to say on both issues.

Thanks.

* - I think it's a known fault anyway. Can't put my hand on evidence, anecdotal or otherwise.
D6PHEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2022, 14:13   #2
Deck1ng
Master Member

That’s an awful lot of compressor failures, do we know what part or parts failed? A screw, a nut, a pipe or casing. I would hope it would be replaced by Volvo at NO cost to you because there is something very wrong indeed.
Sorry I know of no use to your original request, but so many failures of the same item, just doesn’t sound right.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2022, 14:44   #3
D6PHEV

Nobody has told me what's failing. I can turn on the heating without issue.
When I press the a/c button I get an "Air con system service required". The service report said "Checked and found dtc codes active for a/c compressor". That's the extent of my knowledge.

But I'd be of the same opinion as you @Deck1ng. There's obviously a fundamental flaw in the part to say it's failing so regularly. Either that or there's a flaw in my car that's causing it!

Don't think I should be on the hook for any of the repair/replacement costs. But what can I do?
Old Mar 15th, 2022, 17:37   #4
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

There is a thread on here about this if you search, and the procedure the dealer needs to follow. Bought mine used Selekt also so keeping a watchful eye and had an aircon regas from Volvo, just to have it 'on record'
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2022, 13:52   #5
D6PHEV

Another thing that befuddles me.

Maybe it's a PHEV thing, or maybe it's a Volvo thing, but does anyone else's vacuum pump make noise after you turn on the car?
Mine does, and I find it hard to believe it's supposed to.
When I bought the car first, the dealer gave me a discount to equate to getting the pump replaced as it was making noise and they couldn't fix it before I went to the boat.
So I got it swapped out in my local dealer, but it didn't seem to make much/any difference.
Old May 16th, 2022, 23:42   #6
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Haven't noticed anything specific. This was on another forum re the valve rather than the pump, but you have already had yours replaced ?:-

The vacuum pump is 31258031, the external valve kit is 31430964 and the replacement is relatively easy. It takes 30-45 minutes if you have 10 and 8mm hexagonal sockets and a 3/8 torque wrench for bits.

My own car just makes noises when it's been switched off. DPF, fuel heater etc ?
Old May 19th, 2022, 09:29   #7
D6PHEV

Yeah, it's a weird one. I'm assuming the main dealer replaced it when asked?! Have no proof like.

Don't know if this will work, but I took a video of it.
Nothing happens for the first 15 seconds, then you'll hear the handbrake, then the noise.

The driveway has been cleaned since!

https://streamable.com/ttnl1t
Old May 20th, 2022, 16:54   #8
D6PHEV

Any takers on whether that's a normal noise or not?

I've nobody else to ask!
Old May 20th, 2022, 21:36   #9
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Mine doesn't sound like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2022, 09:14   #10
D6PHEV

Thanks Ulrikas.

Just had a look through my emails and have my communications with the dealer from May 2020 saying despite the part being swapped out, the noise was still there. Don't know whether "a person on the internet said their's doesn't sound like that!" is a good enough reason to look for another swap!

Couple of other things that popped into my head.

Firstly was the point mentioned in the OP. ie. the internet access. Has anyone any experience of that? Could it be that Volvo have decided to stop supporting it (which would be strange)? Or is it just my simcard holder is acting up?

Secondly, and this is a recent things, sometimes when passengers get out of the car and close the door, a warning pops up on the dash to say the key has been removed from the car! It's very strange, but there's obviously a sensor or something somewhere that's being a bit sensitive.

Last edited by D6PHEV; May 30th, 2022 at 09:39.