Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery Range on XC40 P6 Recharge

Views : 3457

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2022, 23:57   #11
Oop north

I have to say I am confused by the P6 label - I haven’t seen that listed anywhere at all - or at least I don’t remember it. Ours is a P8 which is four wheel drive. When we ordered, the xc40 full electric was only available as front wheel drive and with a smaller battery (60 something). The c40 was only available as four wheel drive with the larger battery (77?). I wanted four wheel drive and the bigger battery so chose c40, though would rather have the xc40. Slightly better aerodynamics of the c40 should make its range a bit better than xc40 with same battery and no of driven wheels. I would have expected the range of front wheel drive to be better than four wheel drive but that’s with equal batteries and I don’t know if they are
Oop north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2022, 23:59   #12
Oop north

Autocar article here has statement that 231bho front wheel drive P6 only comes with lesser battery https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...ion-xc40-ev-uk
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 00:02   #13
Oop north

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchingfoo View Post
I did three tests runs over greater than 100miles. I tried different driving styles. The best motorway range I got was 186 miles driving at an average speed of 54mph. Used cruise control. No crazy acceleration. Temperature was around 14C, so almost optimal. Climate controlled turned off.

The implied usable battery capacity from my tests was 60.69 kWh.

Something is really wrong with this p6.

I called care by volvo to discuss. Turns out the battery capacity of the p6 is only 69kWh (67 kWw usable). This is completely different to that stated in their advertising here. (You need to click "All performance data" to read it). This page shows 78kWh usable. None of their maths on the range works on 67kWh. You can never get 260 miles on that 67kWh battery.

I have booked a call with a manager from Care by Volvo to explain themselves tomorrow. I will either be returning the car as significantly not as described or I will expect a large reduction in monthly cost. That discrepancy 11kWh of usable battery capacity is about £8,000 worth of cost cutting on the car. Someone has made a career ending mistake here.

If Volvo change their website specifications and you need a copy, please ask. I have a snapshot of the webpage and a picture.
Your link clearly states that the battery capacity is for the p8 with 400bhp - it’s a bad link as the first page is the p6, but the all performance page shows data for the 400bhp 4wd p8 model
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 14:41   #14
munchingfoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop north View Post
Your link clearly states that the battery capacity is for the p8 with 400bhp - it’s a bad link as the first page is the p6, but the all performance page shows data for the 400bhp 4wd p8 model
You need to click through to the "full specifications" page then select the "single motor" in the drop down.

Image here: https://imgur.com/a/nJIR7gf

The battery capacity for the p8 is 75kWh, so it's not even like they just messed up by using that battery instead. Looking at the range figures I think they originally intended this car to be 78kWh, then cut it to 67kWh to bring the price down for the market. I ordered my car 7 months ago. I think they have now changed some of the advertising, but it's clear that this is what it was originally meant to be as remnants of it remain. This theory is also supported by the drastic reduction in price today to when I first ordered the car. When I ordered it was circa £49,500. Not it's something like £43,500. During a time of 7% inflation, this price reduction must be related to something significant like battery capacity.

Last edited by munchingfoo; Apr 4th, 2022 at 16:37.
munchingfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 15:09   #15
Oop north

Ok I can see that now. Yes seems misleading - although if you look at the other EV thread I just posted on other people knew about it some time ago (I knew it in early November 2021 but wasn’t looking earlier when you ordered). Depends what information was available at the time and what you relied on. Do you have any PDFs or screen prints etc from the time of your order that show the wrong data?
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 12:40   #16
PDG

Default XC40 P6 Recharge range

Sadly, my experience with the P6 range is exactly the same 170 mile range at 90% charge.

No matter what I do, range optimiser on, one pedal driving on, air con off it makes no difference.

All I got from Volvo customer services was the same explanation, driving style, weather, traffic etc etc all affect the range.

Come on, 170 miles is less than 68% of the WLTP range. I never expected to achieve that but thought I may get close to 210?

The car is at the dealership as I write having the speed recognition and google system reviewed as it thought the speed limit on the M1 was 60 and 70 in a 30 limit and the DAB displayed total garbage compared to what was playing. I've asked them to look at the battery as surely it cant be this bad?
PDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 17:18   #17
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG View Post
Sadly, my experience with the P6 range is exactly the same 170 mile range at 90% charge.

No matter what I do, range optimiser on, one pedal driving on, air con off it makes no difference.

All I got from Volvo customer services was the same explanation, driving style, weather, traffic etc etc all affect the range.

Come on, 170 miles is less than 68% of the WLTP range. I never expected to achieve that but thought I may get close to 210?
If we were talking Volkswagen and Diesel rather than Volvo and EV, people would be forming action groups and contacting ambulance chasing lawyers.

Volvo need to react.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 09:36   #18
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncannon4 View Post
Hi,
Took delivery on 1st Feb of a new XC40 P6 recharge.
The battery is only charging to about 170 miles, at 90% charge.
How do I get more range? Volvo spec says 262 miles and the Volvo app says 232 miles.
Thanks
Hi,

I am thinking of changing to the XC40 Recharge, but can’t decide whether to go for the single motor or twin motor.

I had a twin motor on test for the day yesterday and it had 220 miles on a 100% charge when I collected it.

After 3 separate journeys totalling 120 miles, the range showed 140 miles remaining and 52% battery level….this was with the air conditioning and radio on throughout.

I was very impressed with the car overall.

My concern is your issue with only 170 miles showing at 90%…..have you had any resolution to this? I am not sure that I could live with such a low range!

Thanks